raprap

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 08:41 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Somehow I feel that CVS is looking at a changing business plan that includes universal health protection being administered at their stores, and as present health facilities bar tobacco use and sales, I would expect that they are looking at maximizing their stockholders assets in this decision.

Cigarettes are dead---the growth of cigarettes investments assumes replacing dying addicts with new ones. In this country this isn't happening.

Rap

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 08:52 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:
Somehow I feel that CVS is looking at a changing business plan that includes universal health protection being administered at their stores, and as present health facilities bar tobacco use and sales, I would expect that they are looking at maximizing their stockholders assets in this decision.

Cigarettes are dead
Thay stink me out; gross. I have confronted smokers.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:44 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

Cigarettes are dead---the growth of cigarettes investments assumes replacing dying addicts with new ones. In this country this isn't happening.

Rap

20% of american adults smoke spending $75 billion a year to do it....that is not "dead".
JTT

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:30 am
@hawkeye10,
20% of american adults smoke spending $75 billion a year to do it....that is not "dead".

------------------

Ironic your choice of words, Hawk.

That 20% is certainly brain dead. The other in time.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:30 am
@hawkeye10,
Actually, it's down to 18%

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/18/smoking-rate-for-adults-declines-cdc-report-shows/2434525/

Even better, from the article link....

Increases in cigarette prices reduce smoking rates significantly, especially for adolescents. A 10% price increase can cut overall cigarette consumption in young adults by about 4%, according to the CDC.

States with more restrictive limits on teenagers purchasing tobacco also have lower adult smoking rates, especially among women, according to a Washington University study published in the American Journal of Public Health on June 13.

-----
So there were about 46 million smokers, now there's about 45 million smokers.

JTT

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:31 am
@chai2,
One million died. Smile
chai2

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 11:44 am
@JTT,
No, one million stopped, and/or no new smokers took their place.

Dying from tobacco related illness is horrible, and not anything to joke about.
JTT

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:02 pm
@chai2,
It should be discussed in every manner possible, Chai, including jokes. The whole thing is a monstrous joke.

Governments allowing these killers to keep on profiting from their criminal actions, governments profiting from those criminal actions.

If it hits close to home, I'm sorry for your personal pain.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:26 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Now maybe other stores, like Walgreens, supermarkets, Walmart etc will think about following this example.

Why would they? If folks want to smoke, it's their right to be able to walk to a store and purchase a pack.

If CVS wants to lose more than a Billion $$ in reveues, that's their business.

When will CVS begin to sell medical MaryJane?
Miller

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:28 pm
@Joe Nation,
Good idea. Or..they can start selling fruits and vegetables like Walgreens does.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:29 pm
@Miller,
Are you attempting to defend your personal stupidity, miller?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:31 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Their intention is become even bigger in Vitamin market, just as people are finding out that vitamins generally just produce vitamin-enriched urine.

Joe(what a lovely shade of yellow!)Nation

Recycled pee coming right up.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:35 pm
@Linkat,
What about all the folks who never smoked a day in their lives and still develop hypertension, heart disease and lung cancer.

Then there are those who smoke and never develop lung cancer, heart disease or hypertension.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:36 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Setanta wrote:

When cigarettes are outlawed, only outlaws will smoke cigarettes. Or somethin' like that . . .

Only dopes take dope.

Was Freud a dope?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:40 pm
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

Not according to the New York Stock exchange. On this past Friday, following the CVS news about smoking and their inventories, the share prices of both Altria and Philip Morris increased dramatically.

Have you forgotten that PM is a cash cow? If Americans stop smoking, who cares. The rest of the world will keep on puffing.
Miller

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

raprap wrote:

Rap

If you're a cash cow, as big as Philip Morris, you certainly aren't dead.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 01:45 pm
@Miller,
Miller: Have you forgotten that PM is a cash cow? If Americans stop smoking, who cares. The rest of the world will keep on puffing.
------------

The USA has always excelled at exporting death and destruction.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 02:46 pm
@raprap,
Quote:

What country are you living in?

When I see people smoking cigarettes on the street, they are very apt to be younger people. You don't see a lot of folks in their 50s and 60s lighting up any more. They got the message years ago. For the younger set living dangerously is "cool."
JTT

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 02:55 pm
@Lustig Andrei,

------------------------------

The same murderous one you are, Merry. The same terrorist nation you live in.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 07:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

When I see people smoking cigarettes on the street, they are very apt to be younger people. You don't see a lot of folks in their 50s and 60s lighting up any more. They got the message years ago. For the younger set living dangerously is "cool."

Honestly?
I don't see young people smoking nearly as much as even a decade ago.
Same for older people.

To be unPC, most of the people I see smoking are homeless people who look like they have a drug or alcohol problem as well, rough looking characters (men) who look like they would have a skull and crossbone tat on their chest, women who could be described as "rode hard and put up wet" and others who look somewhat shop worn and in need of some fresh air, and a decent diet.

I'm not going to say that I don't see other types smoking, but I don't see as much.

I'm all over my city, both sides of the tracks. When I go in stores, I much less smell smoke on customers than years ago (believe me, I'd smell it if it were there). I don't see near as many people smoking in their cars, in front of their house, and No One I know smokes in their house. Even people who live alone go outside.

It's a noticable down trend.