Ain't That America?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 03:25 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I didn't write "David, you whiner."
You chose to take offense and make nasty remarks about me.
That was definitely a case of knowing whether or not the shoe fits.
U make me laff; I gotta admit that!

Setanta wrote:
The opening post identifies the song referred to in the Coca-Cola ad
as "America the Beautiful." I didn't watch the game, either.
I don't give a rat's ass about professional sports.
However, i did read and understand the opening post.
OK, 1 more time:
the proffered information does NOT deny
the existence of additional music,
with respect to which the reader is left ignorant; he can only guess,
which is what u did and what u tacitly exhort me to do; conjecture n idle speculation with naked assumption of truth.
Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 03:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
You're hopeless--you seem to enjoy being obtuse. The references were to a Coca-Cola ad, the song in which was identified in the opening post. You're just playing your phony baloney lawyer game. I also suspect that your life has contracted to the point at which arguing with strangers online is about all you've got going for you.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 04:29 am
@Setanta,
I have absolute freedom to apply any hour of the day or nite as I choose.
The hours of my day r fungible,
unless I need to go to the airport to go somewhere.

By the way:
I love your music thread.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 04:32 am

Fortunately, u did not translate it into alien languages.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 04:33 am
Sure, Bubba, whatever you say.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 09:10 am

Ain't That America?

Yup.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 09:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You're hopeless--you seem to enjoy being obtuse. The references were to a Coca-Cola ad, the song in which was identified in the opening post. You're just playing your phony baloney lawyer game. I also suspect that your life has contracted to the point at which arguing with strangers online is about all you've got going for you.

Seriously set, and I'm not at all trying to be obtuse, I for one really did not get the meaning of the original image posted below until the commercial itself was viewed. I'm not whining, and I definately know what our national anthem is, and the America the Beautiful is not it.

I looked at this when the thread was first started, when there were still no comments, and had no notion that America the Beautiful had been sung, and that some people were confusing it with the national anthem.

I was literally thinking "hmmmm, coke, national anthem, America the Beautiful, what's the connection?" If the commercial had also been provided, I would have gotten it right away.

Later, I saw other people posting, and came back to see if I could figure it out, which I did as soon as I saw the ad.

There was an assumption that whoever looked at the image would know what had happened, and I had not.

Honestly? Studying the image below right now, even after knowing what this is all about, I don't see how I would have known with just the information provided.

It felt, if anything like it was one of those inside jokes, one that even after you figure it out, you still don't really find it much of anything.

Yeah, people have been confusing the 2 songs for years. I know that.
Now I get it, ok. I have nothing to comment about it really, just beyond I didn't get it at first..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/nationalanthem_zps2a69a5bd.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 10:03 am
I just cannot fathom someone who doesn't get it. There are three twitter posts about the national anthem and Coke. Then, in HUGE letters is states that "America the Beautiful" is not our national anthem. I got it right away, and i had not seen the ad.

I didn't say you were a whiner. As with David, that's a shoe fits issue.
chai2

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 10:11 am
@Setanta,
Well, fathom it set, I didn't get it at first.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 10:13 am
I can't fathom it. It makes no sense to me. I can only assume people aren't paying sufficient attention to what is glaringly obvious.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 10:21 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I just cannot fathom someone who doesn't get it. There are three twitter posts about the national anthem and Coke. Then, in HUGE letters is states that "America the Beautiful" is not our national anthem. I got it right away, and i had not seen the ad.

I didn't say you were a whiner. As with David, that's a shoe fits issue.
I 'm ready to give up on Mr. Setanta.
How many times do I have to TELL HIM?!
REGARDLESS of that, a singer coud have
translated the REAL National Anthem ANYWAY, thereby
eliciting the objections. That shud be very ez to understand.
I remain perplexed that Mr. Setanta does not get the point.
JTT

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 10:23 am
@Setanta,
Set: I can only assume people aren't paying sufficient attention to what is glaringly obvious.

That's you in a nutshell. Perhaps you might weave one of your historical tales.
0 Replies

Equestrianforlife7xo

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 11:21 am
@Eva,
I'm readin along or entertainment as well as informal purposes. Lordy is one hell of a hilarious fellow.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 11:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Sure, Bubba . . . whatever you say.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 12:13 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
So I fully get it. Did someone sing " America the Beautiful "" in Spanish? Where did this happen? in the SUper Bowl? Its kinda inside and in order to "get it" one would have to assume that "AtheB" was the song.
This poster gives no other information so I assume you all watched the show that played it.
CoastalRat

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 12:35 pm
@farmerman,
Farmerman, during the Super Bowl, Coke ran a commercial where "America the Beautiful" was sung in various languages. And it seems some people are upset about that for some strange reason. Some obviously either do not know that the national anthem is not ATB or have erroneously understood that it was the national anthem used by Coke in the ad. The original post tries to make this a political thing, I guess, by assuming that only conservatives don't know that America the Beautiful is not the National Anthem. Of course this is idiocy, but pointing that out will only cause trouble.

It was good for a laugh or two to read idiotic comments about the commercial. I truly do not get the uproar.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 01:07 pm
@farmerman,
No, I just follow the news
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 01:11 pm
@CoastalRat,
No C.R. the original post points out that the people who are making the stupidest fuss don't know that ATB is not the National Anthem. The fact that when you follow the news you realize it's the right wing crazies and the idiots who agree with them and have lost their tiny minds over this, creating a tempest in a teapot, are all proudly proclaimed Christian patriot conservatives. I don't make the news, I just report it.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 01:14 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
yes but unless I saw the specific event WHERE Athe B was sung in Spanish, the joke woulda been over my head. I had the Suprebowl on as background noise and only glanced over when Id hear cheering. I shut the whole thing onto a tool special during half time. Bruno's not my taste in music.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2014 01:21 pm
@CoastalRat,
thank you. Sometimes the threads get ahead of the story 9since there was no setup line in the thing that BVT posted I had no fuckin idea what everyone was all po;d about. Without context it woulda been a guess and then it wouldn't be funny. Whats funny is that it was actually played and people got all worked up over a Spanish version .

When I was in Catholic school and in the 3rd grade we often did a "Pledge of Allegiance" in Polish or Latin. I guess the absence of an internet didn't allow everyone to go viral with critique.