Ted Kennedy: Off the deep end ... again

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 02:30 am
It's totally a personal attack against a left-winger...but it's FUNNY! Laughing
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Posted: April 19, 2004
1:00 a.m. Eastern

"On a cool February day in 1932, little Teddy Kennedy was born. Later that night, the baby's father, Joe, leaned over the bassinet and kissed his new son. Because of that kiss, Ted's cheeks still, to this day, display visible remnants of Gloria Swanson's lipstick."

- Kennedy family urban legend

Over 70 years later - through family tragedy, a couple of wives, a tour of duty in the Chivas navy, an attempt at the presidency, and now support of John Kerry's attempt to defeat Bush, Ted Kennedy is still going strong.

Kennedy is now in his seventh term in the Senate, making him the second-longest-serving active senator - the longest-serving, if you happen to catch the Senate on a day when Robert Byrd has gone away to dedicate another building to himself or to have one of his old Kleagle hats blocked.

If you've listened to Ted Kennedy's latest introductions of John Kerry at campaign rallies, you may have been reminded of a composite of every bottle dwelling bar babbler you've ever been stuck sitting next to at one o'clock in the morning. When that happens, you keep an eye on your wife, a hand on your wallet, and take what they say with a grain of margarita salt.

Such is Kennedy's plea to get us to vote for John Kerry - a series of verbal endorsements that could gain more steam if Ted didn't always sound like Boris Yeltsin trying to recite the alphabet backward. If Ted's on the wagon, it must have carried him straight to the liquor cabinet, because when he gets riled up, his speeches make you wish Foster Brooks were still around to interpret.

Trying to figure out what Kennedy is saying at a campaign rally often makes me appreciative of the skills of Timmy from "Lassie." Where's Jon Provost when you need him?

"Ahnd ahftah muthna hahve olll crompushnin Johhhnn..."

"What is it, boy? Kerry needs our vote?"

"Nithmish nahd caheforea jah Kreee!"

"Bush must not be re-elected or there will be global Armageddon? Good boy!"

In addition to the occasionally comical slurry harangues, Ted can be absolutely shameless. When Kennedy is endorsing Kerry, he isn't even shy about touting the fact that Kerry once saved somebody from drowning - this statement often causes more uneasiness and suppressed giggles in the room than the time Marilyn Monroe crawled out from under the podium after a JFK press conference.

Statements like this are the most telling symptom of Kennedy's ivory tower induced moral myopia. Ted Kennedy, without batting an eye, can proudly laud a colleague for saving someone from drowning? This takes some serious nerve - right up there with Lizzy Borden praising the skillful hatchet work of Paul Bunyan.

Joe Kennedy had a daughter lobotomized, and, judging from the incongruous comments uttered by his son, he apparently forced Ted to undergo several compunction bypass procedures.

Ted's even got a dog that he named "Splash." I often wonder if he ever lets Splash get together with Joe Hazelwood's dog - "Slick" - for a nice game of Frisbee at "Irony Park."

After the unintentional humor, the lies start to flow. Now Kennedy is calling the Iraq fight "George Bush's Vietnam."

Democrats like Kennedy have spent the better part of the last few years telling people that Bush avoided Vietnam service by hiding behind his father's money and power. Using their false portrayal, if this were indeed "Bush's Vietnam," then, at the very most, the only current military operation we'd be engaged in would be a gallant struggle by the Texas Air National Guard to find Weapons of Mass Destruction in Ann Richards' living room.

Kennedy can't be blamed much for getting his facts mixed up a bit when it concerns the Vietnam era. Kerry was serving overseas, Bush was serving domestically and Kennedy was dripping wet in a Martha's Vineyard bait shop, desperately rummaging through tackle boxes to figure out which spinner would work the best to hook an Oldsmobile.

The real reason for Kennedy's extreme dislike of George W. Bush isn't as political as much as it is insane jealously.

Ted sees many of his blown opportunities and dashed hopes being fulfilled by the son of a high-powered, financially successful businessman and politician. In other words, he sees himself - minus the beer gut, garbled pep talks, dead date, left leanings, exhausted nephews and, ultimately, occupancy of the Oval Office.

The big problem John Kerry is facing is that hardly anybody is really endorsing him - they're endorsing the removal of George W. Bush, as is the case with Kennedy. At least, I think that's what Ted's saying.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doug Powers is a freelance writer whose work has been read by millions of Internet denizens.
Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,211 • Replies: 107
No top replies

panzade

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 07:54 am
I appreciate your disclaimer. Pretty witty
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:00 am
That is a bloomin' riot. Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:43 am
and the list goes on
Lets see how many drunk, women groper republican politicians we can name:

The list is too long to remember all of them, but I will start with Thurmond, Packwood, and Schwarzenegger.

Who can you add to the list?

BBB
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 09:00 am
Awwww Jeeeez BBB!...can't you take off the liberal stormtrooper uniform for just one post? Tar made it clear this was a spoof. And I appreciate it after the garbage headline he posted on WMDs in Syria.The three you mentioned couldn't carry Ted's briefcase. It's a diservice to compare them at all.(grinning)
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 09:04 am
While I am sure there are republican drunkards, I don't think any of the 3 you named are. Now woman-gropers, that is another story. I don't think the democrats have a monopoly on that. As you stated, there are some I am sure on both sides of the aisle. Kennedy is just so easy to pick on for us republicans because he makes himself so visible. It is probably along the same lines that Thurmond was so easy to make fun of by democrats (and some republicans I might add) over his old age, falling asleep in Congress, etc.

Just proves that some politicians should retire at a decent age. LOL
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 09:10 am
panzade
panzade, I guess I will have to take my stormtrooper uniform to the lost my sense of humor cleaners to have it splat-cleaned.

BBB Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 09:12 am
You are a treasure luv...MUUUUUAHHHHHHHHH!!
0 Replies

Jarlaxle

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:40 pm
Quote:
The three you mentioned couldn't carry Ted's briefcase

Arnold could--but the other 2 would probably struggle to carry that much Chivas Regal.

Ted Kennedy is a national disgrace. He should be rotting in prison.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:51 pm
Nothing funny in the article (must be different humour cause I've no special feelings for the man).

But there was something interesting: is the part about Marilyn true?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:58 pm
I've heard it before, never saw the statement attributed to anybody(Marilyn)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:59 pm
No.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:23 am
All that about Kennedy and his getting away with murder was a little before my time so I don't know anything about it. Judging by what I know how stories get around today, I would have to go actual records and things to make a judgement about it. Frankly I doubt I bother. I think if there was any evidence nothing on earth would have stopped those on the other side from having it prosecuted. But like I said I don't know anything about the whole thing.

In any case, the Ted Kennedy that I see now on TV I like. He talks about things that matter to me such as education for children and health care. Other people must like him too since he has been a senator for so long.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:29 am
revel:

http://www.who2.com/maryjokopechne.html

IMO, Kennedy was guilty, at the least, of vehicular homicide. According to the news of the day, Kennedy called his attorney before he even informed the police of the accident. Personally, it amazed me that Kennedy got away with no jail time, or even a slap on the wrist.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:43 am
Money and family connections will do amazing things for an individual, be he democrat or republican or anything in between. LOL
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:44 am
Here is some more detail about the Kennedy "accident":

http://www.ytedk.com/
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:10 am
Er - I trust you do not think he drove off the bridge on purpose?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:14 am
dlowan- Of course not. From what I had read at the time, he was drunk, it was dark, and he made a wrong turn.

What was so heinous, was that had Kennedy called the police immediately, instead of waiting ten hours, Mary Jo might have been saved. What was brought out, was that she may have lived at least two hours in the submerged car, breathing a bubble of air at the top of the car.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:21 am
I hope nobody thinks he drove off the bridge on purpose. Heck, I think he really only made two small mistakes that night.

1. Drinking and then getting behind the wheel of a car.

2. Being more concerned with himself and his political career than he was with another human being.

Of course, Mary Jo and her family may not believe they were small mistakes, but then they just don't understand that Ted had an image and career to protect. One life is such a small price to pay to do so, don't you think?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:31 am
CoastalRat- I think that sums it up nicely!
0 Replies