Can An Internet Connection Become Real Love?

panzade

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:12 pm
What he said
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 12:55 am
Quote:
Doglover, there's a reason why you "feel like such a creep." It's called "conscience." Listen to it. You can trust that gut feeling more than you can trust your heart right now. What you're feeling is so intense that you think it must be "love." But it isn't. It's infatuation.

Right now, my heart and my gut are about dead even.

Quote:
That said, you can certainly still enjoy the feelings while they last. You'll get a huge burst of energy. The world will seem brighter. Deeper. More meaningful. Enjoy it, but be aware that it won't last. You do know it won't last, don't you? It never does. It can't. The adrenaline level alone would kill you if sustained indefinitely.

I know this feeling can't last. I'm beginning to think I'm suffering from a case of the 7 year itch...10 years after.
Quote:
If it helps, yes, I do know just how it feels. I've been there. Fortunately, I didn't give in to it. Because of that, I still have a happy marriage and now I have a very good, trusted friend, too. Plus my self-respect. It could have turned out much, much worse.

I know that if he lived closer, we would have most likely gotten together by now. The distance, my hesitation and the fact he has business commitments have helped to postpone our getting together.

Quote:
A good marriage doesn't exempt you from these feelings. It's what you do about them that counts. I don't believe in "soul mates." Love is not fate; it is a series of decisions we make. Make them wisely.

This sure feels like fate. Is God testing me? I don't think falling in love is a decision you make. It's an emotion you can't control. You can't make yourself fall in love with someone by willing it nor can you fall out of love with someone by willing it. Can't love be divided and not be diminished? Do you think there is such a thing as chemistry between two people?

Diane...I have a son, 22 and his son and daughter are in their early 20's and both still live at home.

suzy...3 years!! Yikes, that's a long time don't cha think?

kicky...you ask a very good question...one I have asked myself time and time again. Why would I take a chance like that? I'll tell ya why. This guy flatters me. He makes me feel special. He compliments me. We have the same sense of humor. We laugh like mad. He's an escape from the day to day world of jobs, money, groceries...etc. My hubby pays lots of attention to me. But, for some reason, I don't feel as special when he says nice things to me or compliments me as when the other guy does. Why is that? Do I suffer from low self esteem? I don't think I do, but it would explain a lot of things. I don't know.

Hopefully, I won't end up on the J. Springer show. However, if I do, I'll be sure to not wear a bra.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:50 am
doglover

For what it's worth: I know a man who found his true soulmate on the internet 3 different times! Each time it was true love & he sacrificed so much!. He's now looking for love in his "real" world. I feel sorry for any woman who falls for his real or imaginary charm.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:54 am
and for whatever it is worth - I found my only true love on the internet. We are no longer together but that is not because we broke up - we simply moved on, well - atleast he did...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:57 am
Awww .. Sad
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:02 am
doglover wrote:
Right now, my heart and my gut are about dead even.

That is good. Listen to the gut feelings. Your intuition is trying to tell you something.

doglover wrote:
I know this feeling can't last. I'm beginning to think I'm suffering from a case of the 7 year itch...10 years after.

That's entirely possible. These things don't always happen on a 7-year timetable. It hit me around 15 years. It can happen anytime.

doglover wrote:
I know that if he lived closer, we would have most likely gotten together by now. The distance, my hesitation and the fact he has business commitments have helped to postpone our getting together.

Keep it up!

doglover wrote:
This sure feels like fate. Is God testing me? I don't think falling in love is a decision you make. It's an emotion you can't control. You can't make yourself fall in love with someone by willing it nor can you fall out of love with someone by willing it. Can't love be divided and not be diminished? Do you think there is such a thing as chemistry between two people?

I happen to believe in God, and yes, I knew I was being tested. I had never really been tempted before. Physically, yes, but as you said before, that's nothing compared with a full blown emotional affair. This is the REAL test. You are wrong..."falling in love" CAN be controlled. No, the feelings can't, but your actions can.

One of three things will happen. It's all within your control.

First, you can give in to the feelings. You'll probably have a glorious time for awhile. Then the guilt will set in, and you'll be terribly confused. Your marriage will be seriously threatened. It may end. It will certainly be damaged. So you go through months/years of counseling and rebuilding trust.

Or...what if you left your husband and married/lived with the new guy. It might be a disaster. But for the sake of argument, let's say things worked out great. Still, in time you'd get used to each other and settle down into an everyday routine like you have with your current husband. Do you really want to keep changing partners for the rest of your life, or do you value a long-term relationship? Personally, I doubt things would be as good as you've already got it. Two cheaters don't often make a long-lasting pair. You might end up alone.

Second, you can break off all communication with him. It will be a huge sacrifice. You may have feelings of resentment toward your marriage as a result.

Third, you can decide to love this guy at a reasonable distance without having sex. You'll be frustrated for awhile, but still able to enjoy the attention, the laughter, the glow, and the escape for as long as it lasts. You'll feel 20 years old, all over again. And when it is over, you may come out of it with a friend for life. And best of all, it won't necessarily affect your marriage.

doglover wrote:
Why would I take a chance like that? I'll tell ya why. This guy flatters me. He makes me feel special. He compliments me. We have the same sense of humor. We laugh like mad. He's an escape from the day to day world of jobs, money, groceries...etc. My hubby pays lots of attention to me. But, for some reason, I don't feel as special when he says nice things to me or compliments me as when the other guy does. Why is that? Do I suffer from low self esteem? I don't think I do, but it would explain a lot of things. I don't know... [/b][/color]

All of this sounds very familiar. My friend and I had that, too. Still do, in a way, although the novelty has worn off. It's wonderful, isn't it?! Who WOULDN'T like all of that! Enjoy it! Just keep it at a safe distance so it doesn't screw up your life.

I remember a time when my friend and I were in the thick of it and he complimented me on handling something well. He said, "You're a good girl." (I was in my 40s.) I remember thinking, "Oh! I haven't been a girl for a very, very long time...but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for making me feel like one!"
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:09 am
So much introspection.....anguish...emotional torture. Such good advice. This is a wonderful, supportive website.

I'm very thankful that my personal life is currently uncomplicated and extremely fulfilling.
0 Replies

wenchilina

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:28 am
doglover wrote:
We are both committed to our marriages.

Committed relationships generally do not involve deceit and deception. Stop being selfish. Stop hurting your better half who believes you're maintaining the vows you took when you said I do. Give your head a shake.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:53 am
Eva wrote:
You can decide to love this guy at a reasonable distance without having sex. You'll be frustrated for awhile, but still able to enjoy the attention, the laughter, the glow, and the escape for as long as it lasts. You'll feel 20 years old, all over again. And when it is over, you may come out of it with a friend for life. And best of all, it won't necessarily affect your marriage.

Eva, your last response to me blew me away. I hope you don't mind, but I included your last reply to me in an email to him a few hours ago. He immediately called me. And, after almost two hours of discussing ALL the options you gave, we've decided to go with option number three. We think this is a way to 'have our cake and eat it too', understanding there will be frustration along the way. Of course, there are ways to deal with that. :wink:

Then, we figure, should there ever come a day (if our bond is still strong) when we are both free (not by divorce, btw) we will be together in a heartbeat.

I want to thank EVERYONE who responded to my dilemma. Every opinion is appreciated and considered. Even the brutally honest ones are appreciated. They make me look at myself in a spotlight. Thanks for the smiles, dys. You and Diane are are a sweet couple. The people on this board are caring and just wonderful. I am grateful for you all.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 02:23 pm
Slowly nods while silently applauding. It is an exceptional person who considers all of the advice given objectively, discerns the best of the best, and then applies it. Good for you!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 02:36 pm
Doglover, as Occum Bill said, "Good for you!" I hope you realize how rare it is to actually listen to advice without really wanting approval. With your ability to be this objective, I'd be willing to bet you'll be fine with your decision.

Maybe when you're older. When it works, it is unbelievably beautiful.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:19 pm
Good for you, Doglover! And good luck with it!

"suzy...3 years!! Yikes, that's a long time don't cha think? "
No, for me! I'm a slow learner when it comes to the opposite sex! I guess I have my rose-colored glasses on way too long, and when I finally take them off, I don't like what I see, at least this last time! I just take it slow.
I'm in no hurry!
I'm talking about living with someone, mind you.
Sex... I'll do on the first date if I feel like it. :wink:
I'm kind of a floozie, but not a marriage-minded one.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:06 pm
Wow. I'm VERY flattered, doglover! And RELIEVED! I've worried all day about being so open. I was afraid I'd really offend you. I'm so glad to hear that what I said helped.

I think you've made the right decision. Just keep it to yourself, okay? No "midnight confessions," if you know what I mean. Your hubby might not understand...this is very complicated...and there is really no point in upsetting things. As for the frustration, you are absolutely right. There are many ways to deal with that...and your husband can help!!! This might be a very good thing for the two of you in the long run. You never know.

(((((HUGS!)))))
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:58 pm
Um.

Um.

I have had a wonderful affair with a married guy a long time ago for which I still cannot be sorry, dang it. My conscience did not win, and I have a well developed one; I shelved it for the nonce. I knew it wasn't going to blow up his marriage and it didn't. Yes, he was a Republican. You know I was in deep moral trouble... at least two ways.

One thing I have noticed in myself and others is that the impossible is very attractive (thus some appeal of affairs, where are the violins..) The test is, how good is it twenty days later, not later in the affair, but after he is yours? Some people in affairs don't really want to marry, although one or the other sometimes does.

Mature leaving of a marriage upon long thought is something I respect and it is fraught with difficulty. It can cause immense pain, even for the leaver. It is a help if there is a sense of a person or people out there who might live life differently than you have been and who might welcome you in their company, even love you for the you you are, but the decision to leave should, I think, be done relative to the marriage itself.

But.. I am thinking you, DogLover, don't actually want to leave your marriage, and are really looking to experience the exhilaration of the Impossible. Can't say I blame you, exactly, but think hard first. It will affect your marriage, even if you never mention it. And it will affect you, a lot.
And there is the matter of marriage vows. If you decide you
are ready to break them, there needs to be some reevaluating.

So I think - take care of your marriage first. Stay or leave. Be aware that in either case you may end up alone, newguy may be problematic or your relationship with him may be, and if you stay, you two may still separate. Where I differ with a lot of people re relationships is that I think people need to become themselves within or without being in a couple; not all of life is together with someone, even if you are with someone. So some people stay because no one else wants them, or leave because one does... there is this giant fear of being alone.

Some fleeing has to do with a leap to be more yourself - consider that this may be part of what is going on, and if you can possibly be more fulfilled yourself within the marriage, which you describe as happy enough.

Edit to say sorry, I had missed, when I posted this, the last batch of posts, including DogLover's response.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:40 am
You bring up some very good points, osso. Yes, her marriage will be changed by this, and so will she. That is inevitable. One is never the same after love enters the picture.

The good thing is, this will give doglover and her new friend the opportunity to find out if their feelings are indeed love, or something less. When you really love someone, you want only the best for them. The last thing you want to do is mess up their life. If the new guy really loves her, he will not threaten her happy marriage. And if his own marriage is unhappy, he needs to deal with that on its own merits and not bring doglover into the equation.

Bottom line: Life is too short to turn down real love, no matter in what form it comes. There are many ways of loving someone. It doesn't always have to involve sex. Sometimes love is stronger without it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 09:19 am
Eva, a very wise bottom line. One of my best friends is a woman whose advances I deflected when I was in a monogamous relationship. I'll never regret my choice even though that relationship is long gone.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:02 am
I suspect this is more common that anyone realizes, panzade. And I bet you consider your life much richer because of her friendship, don't you?

See, doglover? It can work. You just have to be strong. I have no doubt that my dear friend and I will be friends for the rest of our lives. If we had taken Option #1, I doubt we'd still be speaking by now. He is simply too valuable a person for me to risk losing. So is my husband.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 12:03 pm
OCCOM BILL...Diane ~ I have learned to keep an open mind about everything...every situation in life. Nothing is black and white. Life has so many shades of gray.

Suzy...you hussy you. You GO girl!

ossobuco...thank you for sharing your experience and your input/advice. I didn't marry until I was 28 and before I married, I spent a lot of time 'being alone'. I dated off and on, but wasn't dependent upon a man for my happiness and fullfillment. I still feel that way to this day. Men are like dessert...you don't HAVE to have 'em, but they are a nice treat at the end of the day!

Eva...Thanks.
0 Replies