McGentrix

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 09:19 pm
@wheel158,
That is a pretty cool spreadsheet wheel. How long have you been programming?
wheel158

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 09:39 pm
@McGentrix,
Thanks! I've been programming for about 14 years or so. I'm more of a Perl and XSLT programmer, but I've always liked using Excel (though it can sometimes be very frustrating).

During the 2012 Summer Olympics, tgordon92 (I think) gave me some pointers on pulling the medal counts from websites, which I hadn't thought of, but was a brilliant idea. This makes the daily scoring so much easier.

Anyway, feel free to "kick the tires", and have a look inside. And if you could help with daily scoring while I'm away, that'd be much appreciated...

wheel
Wilso

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 01:40 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
The skiers have been skiing in sludge.
and they've given all the good non Russian skiers the end of the day runs when the snow gets more like tapioca pudding

They have long running form in that area. I still remember the javelin in the 1980 summer games, opening the stadium gate for a wind tunnel effect when their own athletes were throwing.
0 Replies

tgordon92

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 05:14 am
@wheel158,
I don't think I can take credit for the pointers on pulling medal counts from websites, as I wouldn't know how to do that myself. I've pulled them manually when I've kept score (which is not too bad for Winter Games, but can be more laborious for Summer Games).

Also, I only have Excel 08, so I wouldn't be able to keep score using the macro-based spreadsheet. I'm also going to be away from my computer shortly and won't be back in front of it until Sunday night, so I wouldn't be able to do Saturday standings. That said, if there's a dumbed-down version of the spreadsheet, I could pick up scoring late on Sunday if no one else can do it.
Advocate

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 01:24 pm
The quality of the figure skating is abysmal. For instance, the winning male fell twice in the long program.
Advocate

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 01:26 pm
If you want a treat, something you will remember, get a youtube showing the winning, 15-year-old, Russian girl, whose first name is "Julia." She is fabulous and has great flexibility. No one came close to her.
markr

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 01:45 pm
@wheel158,
That would have been markr who, for some reason, hasn't gotten very excited about this year's Olympics and never got around to filling out an entry form.
markr

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 01:46 pm
@Advocate,
Yes, but his short program was record setting.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 02:15 pm
And once again, curling is made watchable for a brief moment:
http://i60.tinypic.com/160v2j8.jpg
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 02:16 pm
@markr,
markr wrote:

Yes, but his short program was record setting.

Being so subjective, that is pretty meaningless. The older Russian guy got great scores out of pure sentimentality.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 02:30 pm
I, alas, still keep track of things by pencil, paper and, of course, a big eraser. I am afraid I would be worthless as a scorekeeper.
Team Johnboy had a fine day today. I have me as scoring 34 points which brings my total to 218. I got 2 golds from Russia and one each from Austria, China and Poland. I got a couple silvers and three bronzes.
I think the events are over for Saturday.
oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 03:05 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
The quality of the figure skating is abysmal. For instance, the winning male fell twice in the long program.

I suspect he might have fully rotated his jumps before he crashed.

I was happy with how Jeremy Abbott and Denis Ten performed in the men's competition. Denis Ten deserved his bronze. And who would have suspected that getting Jeremy Abbott back in the groove was merely a matter of a big enough wallop against the ice?

In the pairs competition, the top two Russian teams did really well. And there will be some quality skating from the US and Canada once ice dancing starts.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 03:05 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
If you want a treat, something you will remember, get a youtube showing the winning, 15-year-old, Russian girl, whose first name is "Julia." She is fabulous and has great flexibility. No one came close to her.

Julia Lipnitskaia.

Amazing artistry. Probably the only skater in history who is capable of skating to Schindler's List (her free skate) while doing justice to the quiet graceful music and showing respect for the subject matter.
0 Replies

wheel158

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 10:03 pm
@markr,
Oops, sorry for giving credit to the wrong person, markr...

Wheel
0 Replies

wheel158

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 10:08 pm
@tgordon92,
OK, perhaps someone else can assist? I have my iPad, but not my laptop; and I don't have Excel...

Wheel
0 Replies

wheel158

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 07:28 am
@realjohnboy,
I think I scored 40 points. Fbaezer scored 26 (I think).

Wheel
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 09:02 am
@wheel158,
I used the medal counts from the CBC as of 5 AM ET and came up with these standings:
Johnboy ... 236
McGentrix... 228
Fbaezer ... 221
Wheel ... 217
Tgordon ... 214

I may of course be wrong.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 09:35 am
@realjohnboy,
Took me a while to find counts yesterday (oy, they should be more accessible for one single day in my crabby opinion, probably are, I just didn't know it), found them on the Guardian long after I'd looked there already. Anyway, I came up with 20 for myself.

My teams:
A) USA Men, Canada
B) Switzerland, South Korea
C) France, Netherlands
D) Japan, Poland, Slovenia, Croatia

2/15
poland gold, speed and ski jump, 10
netherlands bronze, short track, 1
korea silver, short track, 3
usa bronze, skel, 1
canada bronze, speed, 1
netherlands silver, speed, 3
slovenia bronze, ski jump, 1

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2014/feb/06/sochi-schedule-results-medal-table-winter-olympics-2014

1) select the date with arrow
2) scroll down, and you'll eventually see the people/teams that got medals with gold, silver, and bronze circles as you scroll.
3) 5 pts for G, 3 for S, 1, for B, as we know.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 10:01 am
@wheel158,
I know I lost the lead. Damn Poles.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2014 01:33 pm

Quote:
SOCHI, Russia -- Olympic skicross racer Maria Komissarova was airlifted to Germany for further treatment after surgery on her fractured spine, the Russian freestyle ski federation said Sunday.

The 23-year-old Komissarova crashed during a training run Saturday, fracturing the 12th dorsal vertebrae in her lower-middle back, and underwent emergency surgery lasting 6 1/2 hours.

. . . .

Komissarova was listed as being in a "grave but stable" earlier Sunday, on a day when two women's snowboardcross riders were carried off on stretchers after bad falls.

. . . .

In women's qualifying Sunday, American Jackie Hernandez was knocked unconscious after slamming her head into the snow. She briefly sat up after several minutes and was communicating with medics before being transported down the mountain.

The crash came minutes after Helene Olafsen of Norway also was taken off the course with what appeared to be a knee injury.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sochi/russian-skier-airlifted-to-germany-for-further-treatment-on-fractured-spine-1.1688997
0 Replies