Medicinal Marijuana - Is Bush a moron for opposing it?

McGentrix

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 07:38 pm
I appreciate the valid response Craven, sometimes it seems like you get a spur under your saddle though and whether you mean to or not, you seem condescending sometimes (my wife says the same thing about me, so I know from whence I speak. :wink: ).

As one of the best debaters on the net that I have encountered, I have come to expect more from you I suppose. When you come down on my side for what I see as a minor point, I guess I just take offense at it because of the other crap that I see that doesn't get you riled up.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 07:39 pm
Quote:
Bush is correct to oppose because pot leads to other addictions!

It can lead to other addictions but medicinal use is different. They don't say "Here's some weed, I want you to smoke 2 joints a day and for kicks you can eat some". Most people using it for medical reasons arent there to use it as a gateway drug.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 07:42 pm
shark, First of all Welcome to A2K. Second: please do your homework on medicinal weed before you jump to conclusions about it's potential as a 'gateway drug.'
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 07:44 pm
To get back on topic, I will take a few tokes and pass it on.

While I think Marijuana should be legalized, or at least made available for medical use, I also realize that most Americans are not as responsible as I am and therefore I do not trust them to be able to use Marijuana responsibly. Look at the trouble alcohol causes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 07:46 pm
Never heard of medical alcohol before, but I'd like to hear more.
For shark, Try this link as a starter. http://www.medicalmarijuanaprocon.org/pop/conflicts.htm
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 07:47 pm
Well we could use medicinal alcohol for people with high blood pressure.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 07:48 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I appreciate the valid response Craven, sometimes it seems like you get a spur under your saddle though and whether you mean to or not, you seem condescending sometimes (my wife says the same thing about me, so I know from whence I speak. :wink: ).

Yeah, I do think that your two allegations are justified. Both the spur and teh condescention.

The former perhaps an inordinate irritation and the latter a personal deficiency that is unlikely to be corrected within my lifetime.

Quote:
When you come down on my side for what I see as a minor point, I guess I just take offense at it because of the other crap that I see that doesn't get you riled up.

Well in a way it's a credit to Foxfyre that it bothers me. She's intelligent and I guess I expect more of her too.

I've stood up for her when I saw that she was being unfairly attacked. Within the last 48 hours I remember 2 instances.

One in which her justified doubt about Bush quotes was making otehrs attack her as being blind.

Another in which a member quipped that this is not a courtroom just because she used the word "case".

I'd agree if you think I'm coming across as too down on her. Heck I've had to admit to that in the past and add compliments as an afterthought.

So in short, I accept the "inordinatly-down-on-Foxfyre" position. And for that I apologize.

My qualms stand, but yes, I've probably got a spur that I probably shouldn't have.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 07:48 pm
I already use alcohol, but it hasn't helped my high blood pressure one iota.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 07:50 pm
Well its meant for on the spot cases not long term. I believe the old remedy was if you were having symptoms of a heart attack you drank whisky to dilate the arteries.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 07:53 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I guess I just take offense at it because of the other crap that I see that doesn't get you riled up.

Trying to wind this line down but one more thing:

I do get riled up at the crap. Heck I started a whole thread about the appeals to pity arguments that were buggin' me. It was another form of intellectual dishonesty that I had a strident objection to and it was largely coming from liberals.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 07:54 pm
And I always thought we had to dial 911. Wink Somebody, quick, go to the liquor store and buy some booze. I'm having a heart attack. LOL
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 07:58 pm
Lol Though to a drunkard im sure alcohol cures everything. Wink
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 08:13 pm
How does the US poll re: medicinal MJ?

I hate to lose another conservative. I had noticed how tame Foxfire was on several occasions, and her/his constant attempts to avoid drama, and overlook personal insults.

I think the Conservatives may need Affirmative Action status here, until we come closer to parity...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 09:24 pm
I've seen surveys done of medical practitioners re marijuana usage for pain, particularly for cancer patients. Not only did most of them say that they would prescribe mj for pain management and in the case of cancer patients for appetite enhancement if it was available legally, in excess of 40% of them said they had already made the recommendation to some patients.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 09:36 pm
Sofia wrote:

I think the Conservatives may need Affirmative Action status here, until we come closer to parity...

LOL, you liberal!

Sometimes I avoid carpin' conservative positions just because there are plenty who will try.

That what you're talking about?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 09:44 pm
LOL!
I should've added my grimace emoticon.

...thinking of AA...three pissed posts to one conservative's, and only one can be a personal insult...

<laughing>
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 09:45 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Personally, I think that his attitude is a reaction formation to the times in his life when he was less than judicious in his use of "substances". I really resent that people have to suffer in order for our president to work through his own personal emotional conflicts!

My thoughts exactly and I also agree with most who responded here. If drugs were legal, then it would sure knock out most of the organized crime and would generate lots of $$$$, save the tax payers countless amounts of dollars by eliminating soooo many jail terms and court fees, along with create many needed jobs. It would be a win/win situation. People who do drugs are going to do it regardless of it being legal or not. In fact, a lot of young people start doing drugs because of that thrill of breaking the law and looking cool to their friends. If they make the drugs legal, then it takes much of the thrill away from the young people.
Either way, I think anyone getting so much as a ticket for having a little harmless pot is crazy.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 09:52 pm
And 99% of drug related deaths are from legal substances anyway. When I was in rehab for my own addictions (seven years and eight days ago) it was 76% tobacco, 23% alcohol, and all the illegal drugs combined to 1% of drug related deaths.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 11:57 pm
Foxfyre, It was wrong of me to pick you out as getting off topic when a couple of others here did too.

But you were the only one defending Bush's actions.

And I guess I expected an actual argument from you defending Bush's actions in this specific instance instead of a general insult on all liberals and independents alike.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 06:57 am
sharkpower

Bush is correct to oppose because pot leads to other addictions!

We are talking of using pot for medicinal purposes. In that regard to worry about addiction when it is used for someone in pain from cancer is in my mind ludicrous. Is smoking pot for medicinal purposes any different than the use of prescription drugs prescribed by Drs?
0 Replies