A penitent troll apologises for mocking atheism. On show here!

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 03:48 pm
Yes, that penitent troll is me. I reject my former post about atheists in which I described them as not believing in Gods that live in a particular region of outer space. What a fool I was.

Now, I believe and accept the atheist's arguments against supernaturalism, and against any wild imagining that has no material reality. This belief is going to be hard to follow, but I can do it with your support.

In particular, I would like support in knowing how not to believe in colours and sounds. I have tried weighing them and at first inspection it looks as though they have no weight or material reality. I also have trouble in locating and weighing a patriots duty, and the fact that this is my pen.

Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 03:52 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
try sticking your head back up your arse.

that would be a good start.

at least you've admitted being a troll.

it's a small first step...
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 03:54 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

try sticking your head back up your arse.

that would be a good start.

at least you've admitted being a troll.

it's a small first step...

You see, we can agree if we set our minds to it! Is there anything else you would like us to agree upon?
Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 03:57 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
I don't wear white after labor day.

you...?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 03:59 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Yes, that penitent troll is me. I reject my former post about atheists in which I described them as not believing in Gods that live in a particular region of outer space. What a fool I was.

Now, I believe and accept the atheist's arguments against supernaturalism, and against any wild imagining that has no material reality. This belief is going to be hard to follow, but I can do it with your support.

In particular, I would like support in knowing how not to believe in colours and sounds. I have tried weighing them and at first inspection it looks as though they have no weight or material reality. I also have trouble in locating and weighing a patriots duty, and the fact that this is my pen.

I don't see how anyone has any trouble at all with not believing something. Just don't believe it. I personally don't believe a half-dozen things every morning before breakfast.

All you have to do is to not bother to believe it...and since "believing it" is just guessing that it is so...all you really have to do is not guess it is so.

PS: Not believing something does not obligate you to believe in the opposite direction. You can, for instance, "not believe gods exist" AND "not believe gods do not exist." There is no problem with that...you just do not have to guess either way.

PPS: If this post of yours was an attempt at writing satirically...my suggestion would be: Do not give up your day job.

igm

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 04:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

PS: Not believing something does not obligate you to believe in the opposite direction. You can, for instance, "not believe gods exist" AND "not believe gods do not exist."

Hint Frank... that's as far as you need to go... any further is pointless... i.e. stick to the black don't stray into the blue.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 04:14 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

PS: Not believing something does not obligate you to believe in the opposite direction. You can, for instance, "not believe gods exist" AND "not believe gods do not exist."

Hint Frank... that's as far as you need to go... any further is pointless... i.e. stick to the black don't stray into the blue.

Does that mean you disagree with my comment?
igm

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 04:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Up to you... I'm easy... it means what it means... to me... and it means what it means... to you... (idiom alert!!!) and never (idiom alert!!!never say never) the twain shall meet... (nested idioms... enjoy!)
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 04:48 pm
@igm,
Hey what goes here. I just come back from the shops. I was just casually not believing in anything that had no weight or reality. So when I ignored the red stop sign I had to jump back.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:00 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Up to you... I'm easy... it means what it means... to me... and it means what it means... to you... (idiom alert!!!) and never (idiom alert!!!never say never) the twain shall meet... (nested idioms... enjoy!)

I'm happy with what I said...see no reason to revise it for now.

It seems to me that you disagree...but you want to play a game rather than simply say you disagree.

I don't blame you.
parados

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:02 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Quote:

In particular, I would like support in knowing how not to believe in colours and sounds.

Actually sounds and colors do have material reality. That you confuse mass with reality says something as well. We can measure sounds and colors in a material way.
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:20 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

In particular, I would like support in knowing how not to believe in colours and sounds.

Actually sounds and colors do have material reality. That you confuse mass with reality says something as well. We can measure sounds and colors in a material way.

Really? Does green weigh more than red for a red colour blind person?
parados

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:38 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Can you weigh your stupidity? And yet it seems to have a material reality that you can express quite openly in a way that is understood by others?

Hint - weighing something is not the only way to find out if it has material reality. What is the measured weight as you pound your head against a brick wall? You would have to measure the force and not the weight. The same thing happens with reflected light.

Is the following an example of material reality for you?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Radiometer_9965_Nevit.gif/250px-Radiometer_9965_Nevit.gif
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 02:07 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Your pseudo controversial threads indicate you are on an attention seeking mission (aka troll in the vernacular). Its a pity really since there appears to be a degree of intellect behind the facade. Why not try to contribute to established philosophy threads rather than persist in generating rubbish ? Alternatively, if your are merely looking for a fellow traveller I suggest you chat to Spendius who holds the local chair in iconoclasm.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 02:54 am
Quote:
Malky Mackay had a stay of execution last weekend but he was a condemned man on Thursday night after his Cardiff team were outclassed at home by Southampton,

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/26/cardiff-city-southampton-premier-league-match-report
0 Replies

G H

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 03:36 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
Really? Does green weigh more than red for a red colour blind person?

Eh, remember that color names were hijacked for designating certain environmental energies in recent centuries (ironically rendering those newer purposes "colorless"). Red and green will respectively be interpreted as referring to wavelengths of 622-780 nanometers and 492-577 nanometers, unless you instead specify that you mean the phenomenal properties associated with visual experiences. Heck, one might contend that red (or its equivalent in any other language) was originally meant to be a literal external attribute of objects like cherries and tomatoes, and that the idea of it being a psychological / subjective experience (quale) is as much a recent duty as the name serving as a tag for part of the visible electromagnetic spectrum.
igm

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 09:07 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

It seems to me that you disagree...

Explain how it seems to you that I disagree... as it seems to me that you could be wrong... you'll have to explain yourself for me to be sure... go ahead Frank... explain...
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 09:33 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

It seems to me that you disagree...

Explain how it seems to you that I disagree...

Sure. Allow me to call my only witness: Frank Apisa.

Frank, does it seem to you that igm disagrees with you?

Yes, it does.

I close my case.

Quote:

as it seems to me that you could be wrong... you'll have to explain yourself for me to be sure... go ahead Frank... explain...

That's okay, igm. As I said, I don't blame you for playing this little game.

It does seem to me that you disagree with my comment:

"You can 'not believe gods exist' AND 'not believe gods do not exist.'"

Stick with your game, igm! It is the smart thing to do.
igm

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 09:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

igm wrote:

Yes, it does.

I close my case.

I don't see your explanation Frank... do you see it?
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 09:57 am
@igm,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

igm wrote:

Yes, it does.

I close my case.

I don't see your explanation Frank... do you see it?

Absolutely, igm.

Take another look. It is there.