So Saying That Folks Should Follow Christian Morals is NOW A Firing Offense

hawkeye10

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 12:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
the network has announced that they will run all of the episodes that are in the can as is and according to previously announced schedules....... . Shocking *sarcasm*
0 Replies

BillRM

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 12:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
forgetting that this is a family unit thus has family loyalties, and forgetting that they need this family more than this family needs them. a

Not since new coke have any firm make this dumb of an error and shot themselves in the foot.
firefly

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't see where A & E has to do anything right now. They've made the network position, regarding this man's comments, clear, and that's really all they had to do.

The Duck Dynasty clan has a contract with A & E, so they can't just pick up their marbles and go elsewhere right now. And the next season has already been filmed and they've been paid for it. So the "suspension" doesn't mean much since duck dude is in all 15 episodes they have ready to air.

I think that A & E will just ignore all the flack and let the noise die down. And, in Mid-January, they'll put on the new season.
hawkeye10

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:01 pm
@BillRM,
coke was trying to be like pepsi forgetting that a lot of folks like coke BECAUSE it is not like pepsi, here A&E followed the pack mentality of conducting a firing for "bad" speech without taking the time to analyze the situation to make sure that the solution woyld fit the "problem"
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:03 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

I don't see where A & E has to do anything right now.

The Duck Dynasty clan has a contract with A & E, so they can't just pick up their marbles and go elsewhere right now. And the next season has already been filmed and they've been paid for it. So the "suspension" doesn't mean much since duck dude is in all 15 episodes they have ready to air.

I think that A & E will just ignore all the flack and let the noise die down. And, in Mid-January, they'll put on the new season.

wrong, they could say everything pops said and more, force the network to fire them and in the process become martyrs for the Right.
BillRM

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
wrong, they could say everything pops said and more, force the network to fire them and in the process become martyrs for the Right.

A&E screw itself big time and I love it.
0 Replies

Germlat

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
I worked for a corporation that held daily prayers..I resented feeling forced.
0 Replies

firefly

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

No, that's ridiculous. People have a right to free speech, they do not have a right to a reality show. So the idea they could become "martyrs for the right" really doesn't make sense.

At the moment, their franchise needs A & E--it's a mutually beneficial relationship. It's much more lucrative for the Ducks than becoming martyrs. When all is said and done, both sides are in this for the money.

And the next season has already been completed, the Ducks have no control over what A & E wants to do with it. Any "suspension" affects only future filming beyond the next season. That gives everyone time to decide what to do after that.

There's no reason for the Ducks to make more flake over this right now.

And A & E has already done all they need to do by distancing themselves from this man's comments.

The next season will go on the air in January and, by then all the involved parties will have decided what they want to do after that.

hawkeye10

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:27 pm
@firefly,
being cultural icons for half of america is more profitable then a reality show.
firefly

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

being cultural icons for half of america is more profitable then a reality show.

Having a reality show pays better. Laughing And that's what keeps them in the public eye as "cultural icons". It's hard to be a "cultural icon" without a platform to give you visibility.

These people aren't religious crusaders--their religion is simply a part of their lives--and they'd be fools to let the Right exploit them or turn them into martyrs. They are also businessmen, and, right now, their business and franchise is doing just fine.

Look, the people most offended by this man's remarks probably never watched this show anyway. So I doubt that they will lose many viewers.

Both sides have the most to gain by not making a bigger deal of this.

The "suspension" is meaningless. The next season is already completed and ready to air. Then the chips will fall where they may.
0 Replies

Germlat

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Sad commentary on society at large but true
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Speak for yourself. I sure as hell dont think their a cultural icon. I watched one of their shows and decided they were stupid and so was A & E for showing this show. Well, not stupid I guess if they can talk A & E into paying them millions for their crap.
Germlat

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:52 pm
@RABEL222,
Yeah ok..you can't relate..I think it's atrocious crap but so many followers..weird but true. An icon doesn't have to resonate with me only with the culture at large.
0 Replies

firefly

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 01:54 pm
@RABEL222,
I'm not of the impression that anyone posting in this thread, including Hawkeye, has been a regular viewer of Duck Dynasty.

So they don't seem to be appealing to anyone here.

I never even heard of them until about a month ago.

RABEL222

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 02:11 pm
@firefly,
I have several acquaitances who watch it all the time. Why is beyond my understanding.
0 Replies

engineer

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 02:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
sure, If I run the network he would not be so crude on my time, but if he said it somewhere else I would not care. I almost never agree that employers should have the right to fire people for stuff that happens off the job. My right to say or do anything about what you do only exists during the hours that I am paying you.

It's a very American principle that private employers can hire or fire who they want. The ironic part of this is that Christian organizations fire people all the time who they deem not sufficiently moral. It's pretty easy to find examples of Christian schools that fire teachers for "immoral" behavior like having sex with their significant others. My "favorite" case was the one of two teachers having a relationship that resulted in pregnancy. The school fired the woman and let the man stay on. Second favorite was the Catholic hospital where the nun in charge permitted an emergency abortion to save the live of the mother. She was immediately fired and excommunicated (but the woman lived.) There were even cases after the last election of employers firing people because of their political affiliation. I'm not familiar with Duck Dynasty but what the guy said was pretty over the top. He certainly has the right to his beliefs, but A&E is not obliged to make him a star thereby giving him a wider platform for his beliefs.
Brandon9000

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 02:53 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

...He certainly has the right to his beliefs, but A&E is not obliged to make him a star thereby giving him a wider platform for his beliefs.

If they had fired an actor for expressing the opposite opinion, you would be advocating a law suit.
BillRM

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 03:07 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
The ironic part of this is that Christian organizations fire people all the time who they deem not sufficiently

The problem is that he had a contract and firing someone for expressing his religion believes sound like he would have a lawsuit.

Next if A&E is not going to honor their contract with him I would assume that crying if his family does not honor their contracts with A&E would not be a winner in the real courts or the court of public opinion.

When you turn to a court for relief you need clean hands and A&E does not have clean hands in my opinion over this matter.

To sum up they screw themselves big time.
engineer

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 03:11 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

If they had fired an actor for expressing the opposite opinion, you would be advocating a law suit.

Others possibly, not me. I know that shows can hire or fire actors at their discretion. Ask Charlie Sheen.
engineer

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 03:12 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

When you turn to a court for relief you need clean hands and A&E does not have clean hands in my opinion over this matter.

Can you site a law, labor or otherwise A&E is breaking?