AMERICAN CONSERVATIVES...on the wrong side of everything!

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 03:11 pm
I love it when I get a container of cashews or almonds and it says on the side "Processed in a facility that processes tree nuts".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 03:15 pm
saintsfanbrian wrote:
It is now illegal for me to ride in my car with out my seat belt. Who am I hurting if I get in a wreck when I am not wearing my seatbelt - or if I don't get in a wreck and I am just riding around minding my business.

Who would it hurt for me not to wear a helmet while riding on a motorcycle? Only if I get in a wreck but it wouldn't hurt the person that hit me.

Can we get it in writing from you that neither you, nor your estate, nor your insurer, nor the government, will sue anybody for any of their costs or losses or expenses related to your death or injury?

Are you going to pay the driver who hits you for the trauma resulting from seeing your body parts laying about? Cuz Americans sure love to sue for that sort of thing. I see it every week.
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 03:27 pm
Um, no I am not going to pay the drive that hits me. After all, he hit me. He should be thankful that my family doesn't sue him for the cost of the vehicle.

I am not a sue happy person. There have been several times in my life that I could have sued another person and won. I don't beleive in it. Personally I think the courts are too backed up with frivilous law suits as it is and some should be thrown out, but I don't forsee that happening.

As far as me not suing for my death. I don't think you need that in writing do you? I don't know how I would be able to bring that suit.

You really are reaching here aren't you? I was making a point about how freedom is being taken away a little at a time and you make it out to where I have to pay some one for dying in an auto accident.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 03:28 pm
I want me one of those cucking stools....and maybe a coquine too...
Quote:
trebuchet

Cucking stool \Cuck"ing stool`\ (k?k"?ng st??l`). [Cf. AS. scealfingst[=o]l, a word of similar meaning, allied to scealfor a diver, mergus avis; or possibly from F. coquine a hussy, slut, jade, f. of coquin, OE. cokin, a rascal; or cf. Icel. k?ka to dung, k?kr dung, the name being given as to a disgracing or infamous punishment.] A kind of chair formerly used for punishing scolds, and also dishonest tradesmen, by fastening them in it, usually in front of their doors, to be pelted and hooted at by the mob, but sometimes to be taken to the water and ducked; -- called also a castigatory, a tumbrel, and a trebuchet; and often, but not so correctly, a ducking stool. --Sir. W. Scott.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 03:30 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
You speak of Jeanette Rankin.

Thanks, Boss, i had a "senior moment," and could not remember her name to save my alleged soul . . .
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 03:32 pm
trebuchet

\Treb"u*chet\, Trebucket \Tre"buck*et\, n. [OF. trebuchet, trebukiet, an engine of war for hurling stones, F. tr['e]buchet a gin, trap, a kind of balance, fr. OF. trebuchier, trebuquier, to stumble, trip, F. tr['e]bucher.] 1. A cucking stool; a tumbrel. --Cowell.

2. A military engine used in the Middle Ages for throwing stones, etc. It acted by means of a great weight fastened to the short arm of a lever, which, being let fall, raised the end of the long arm with great velocity, hurling stones with much force.

There is usually more than one definition to a word.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 03:37 pm
And there is usually one in every crowd who....
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 04:13 pm
Actually, a few years back, a couple of Brit historians found a drawing (if I recall correctly) of an early trebuchet, and set to building a full-size working model. When done, they cast their eyes about for an appropriate projectile.

I saw the film of it. They launched a Mini about 200 yards. Beautiful arc. Beautiful mushed Mini.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:00 am
And cows. And - like - crap----and dead stuff....and boulders and all.

Mebbe the cows are an urban myth...
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 08:15 am
Apparently over in England they've got one or two places where they'll hook you to a trebuchet and fling you a few hundred yards into a waiting net. It's like medieval bungy jumping. Already had one death, and the guy who built the thing is now being sued.

But whatever are we put on this planet for if not to find ever more ridiculous ways of injuring or killing ourselves?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 12:15 pm
That sounds like fun..sign me up!
0 Replies