Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 04:08 pm
We knew it was coming, but still a shock.

Quote:
South Africa's first black president and anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela has died, South Africa's president says.

Mr Mandela, 95, led South Africa's transition from white-minority rule in the 1990s, after 27 years in prison.

He had been receiving intense home-based medical care for a lung infection after three months in hospital.

In a statement on South African national TV, Mr Zuma said Mr Mandela had "departed" and was at peace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25249520
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 10,641 • Replies: 134

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 04:39 pm
@izzythepush,
His living more, hard. So, with his dying, his life is completed.
Rest in peace, man.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 05:14 pm
@ossobuco,
On the BBC they were saying he was our age's global leader, respected across the Globe, America, Russia, Iran, Cuba......... What other contemporary figure can claim that?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 05:33 pm
Very sad news indeed... We are fortunate to be led by Nelson's legacy of equality and justice that he demonstrated to the world.

Thanks Nelson Mandela for your strong stand and much comfort to the Mandala family and those of the world who morn the passing of such a great and compassionate man.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 06:21 pm
Thankful for this life. May he rest in peace.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 07:36 pm
@izzythepush,
A truly great man.

I remember the incredible emotion and joy that was generated when he was finally released from prison.

His powerful example will continue to inspire others that change is possible.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 08:11 pm
a modern hero , that is to say a consummate victim. He did good by convincing most of the whites to stick around though. the media is going gaga today but it is not warranted, suffering and surviving are not a great achievements.
hingehead

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 09:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
He led a transition to majority rule that could have so easily gone really bad. Placating both sides of his country's racial divide is/was a stunning achievement. That you can't see that isn't the least bit surprising.

Is suffering and not surviving not more of an achivement? You may have one or two Jesus fans on your case if don't think so.

No, you're right. That Mahatma Ghandi was a bit of a loser too, hey?

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 02:24 am
@hawkeye10,
He was a great man who served his time in prison with dignity, and came out talking peace and reconciliation.

You're a sad racist nonce who dreams about abusing young girls. You're not fit to say his name.
Roberta

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 02:19 pm
I, too, think he was a truly great man. He lived a long life. He will be missed.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 6 Dec, 2013 05:51 pm
May he rest in peace. He so richly deserves it.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 08:44 pm
@Eva,
he would deserve it more if he had used his last ten years of life for something more important than bringing the World Cup to SA

Quote:
The Economist, more bluntly, points out that "misguided governance, low-quality education, skills shortages and massive unemployment levels of around 40%" have made the black population of South Africa "more disadvantaged today than when Nelson Mandela was still behind bars."

This may only be the beginning. After all, without Mandela, the African National Congress—the party he first joined in 1943 and that he led to electoral victory half a century later—will quickly lose whatever remains of its revolutionary magic. Without Mandela, the ANC can no longer pretend to be a party, as he once put it, with a "noble cause": It is simply the party of power. Although South African democracy is extraordinarily healthy in many senses—its media, judiciary, and civil society function well—ANC candidates have until now won most national, and regional, elections by enormous margins. That means that people join the party in large numbers to get jobs, to get contracts, to get ahead.

In this narrow sense, the ANC now functions like the Chinese Communist Party: The most important political debates in South Africa take place within its ranks and at its congresses. Actual electoral contests matter much less. The consequences of 20 years of mostly one-party rule are the same for South Africa as they are in China: ANC-owned companies enjoy privileged access to state contracts, ANC politicians have been involved in complex cases of corruption, businesses often succeed or fail because of their political contacts and not because of their merit. Without real political competition, ANC politicians are not motivated to reform a state that still doles out patronage to black insiders, just as the apartheid state once reserved its jobs and contracts for whites.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2013/12/nelson_mandela_and_the_anc_south_africa_needs_new_leaders.html?wpisrc=hpsponsoredd2

this is just one of many problems with the theory that this man should be lionized.
hingehead

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 02:17 am
@hawkeye10,
Just listening to a South African ambassador talking Mandela's efforts to get the ANC to negotiate with the apartheid regime rather than 'send the tanks in' to a group in exile in Uganda.

But you and your economist article are right, bring back apartheid, things were so much better then.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 02:54 am
@hingehead,
http://www.oecd.org/media/oecdorg/directorates/economicsdepartment/41000289Fig1_1_E.gif

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/62524000/gif/_62524782_income_racial_grp_sa_464.gif

the point of undoing apartheid was to get blacks their fair share. that has not happened. the nation has not done well over all either. by any reasonable rational analysis undoing apartheid has been a failure.
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 08:46 am
@hawkeye10,
Measuring of income levels is not the only criteria to measure the success of ending apartheid. It is disingenuous to even try to spin it that way. Historical levels of income levels of blacks vs whites in US and NA and EU has clearly also been a huge disparity.
panzade

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 12:14 pm
@izzythepush,
Perhaps izzy, there are many here who had no contact with South Africans in the apartheid era.

In 1969 I was a 17 year-old competing in the UK Australian Surf Life Saving championships in Newquay for my school Atlantic College. We had students from all over the world and were the leading contenders to win it all.
When we met the South African team we were appalled at their arrogance and their racist demeanor.
It wasn't long before our captain called a meeting and suggested we abandon the competition in protest of apartheid .
I was heart-broken but I did the right thing and eventually we did the right thing.
When I think of Mandela I think about the quote that applied to me that day
Quote:
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
firefly

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 12:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
he would deserve it more if he had used his last ten years of life for something more important than bringing the World Cup to SA

Right. These 85--95 year olds are such slackers. Rolling Eyes

And that certainly does diminish everything that they've done and accomplished before they reach their 9th decade of life. Rolling Eyes
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 12:54 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:

Right. These 85--95 year olds are such slackers. Rolling Eyes

And that certainly does diminish everything that they've done and accomplished before they reach their 9th decade of life. Rolling Eyes

it would have been such hard work to issue a statement that the party no longer represents his ideals, that black corruption and incompetence at leadership is not what he spent his life fighting for.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 01:01 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:
When we met the South African team we were appalled at their arrogance and their racist demeanor.

0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2013 01:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
His living more, hard. So, with his dying, his life is completed.

I agree, the end was hard on him physically. How lucky are some who die quietly in their sleep. I read in the media speculation they could have pulled the plug on this great man but his family did not want that. I have no idea if this is true or not. I do realize he's been dying for sometime before the end. His troubles are over now.....and he realized South Africa was on the wrong side of history, having a policy that enshrined separation/racism/apartheid.

Mandela made a difference. In many respects, Mandela stands alone in that he used violence because he said "non-violence is not working for us."