JPB

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 12:23 pm
http://www.starpulse.com/news/TMZ/2012/02/29/monkees_singer_davy_jones_dead_at_66

I grew up in the heyday of the Monkeys. My best friend had Davy posters covering her bedroom walls. They were kinda goofy, but they had some pretty good songs.

RIP, Davy.

Ragman

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 12:27 pm
@JPB,
Yikes! This is a little bit of a shock. I'm feeling old enough at 61 as it is.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 12:29 pm
@JPB,
damn

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 12:31 pm
@JPB,

RIP Davy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 12:50 pm
@JPB,
Ah, flower lady, how sad. This was one that I enjoyed by them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2NuBi3IYLU&feature=related
JPB

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 12:56 pm
Here's a clip from the show featuring, "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 12:58 pm
The sound quality is poor here, but here they are less than a year ago doing "Pleasant Valley Sunday," written for them by Carole King:

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:10 pm
Oh, sad.

One of my faves of theirs -
JPB

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:12 pm
A scene from Davy's episode on the Brady Bunch.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:13 pm
@jespah,
I always liked that one too, jes.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:15 pm
I Wanna be Free

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:28 pm
One of the biggest basic training centers during the Vietnam War was at Fort Campbell. Most of the military reservation is in Tennessee, but the post office is in Kentucky. But the nearest train station is at Clarksville, Tennessee . . .

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:33 pm
@JPB,
My sisters and I used to put on our go-go boots, drag the portable TV onto the front porch -- a rickety, raised wooden thing that made a real clatter -- and dance our asses off to the Monkees.

Good times.

Davey was groovy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:49 pm
He looks like a child here . . .

Setanta

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:51 pm
I've been wandering around youtube listening to songs since i saw this thread . . . i blame you, JPB
rosborne979

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:51 pm
@JPB,
Bummer. I liked him. Oh well, if you gotta go, a heart attack is one of the best ways to do it (not so great for the family and friends, but good for the individual).
JPB

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:58 pm
@Setanta,
Probably in his early 20s there (born in '45, Monkees were popular in mid-60s).

From Michael Nesmith's FB page:
All the lovely people. Where do they all come from?

So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don’t know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don’t exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity.

That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won’t abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane.

David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us.

I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 01:58 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I've been wandering around youtube listening to songs since i saw this thread . . . i blame you, JPB

Very Happy

I'm sure you're one of many (raises hand).
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 02:37 pm
An interesting piece of trivia. When the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show, Davey Jones was on that same show doing a scene from the Broadway musical, Oliver. Davey Jones played the Artful Dodger during the Broadway run of that musical. After he saw the reaction to the Beatles, he aspired to be in a band like that.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 03:53 pm
Davey had a horse farm about 40 miles away so we had occasion to see him in the clubs sometimes.
This is a true story.
One night our band was hired to back him up at a nightclub concert. After the first set I noticed about 50 girls crowded around a guy sitting at the bar. Pushing my way through I noticed he had about 10 shots of tequila lined up and he was steadily downing one after the other.
I never saw anyone drink more liquor on a break.