When debate descends to the level of posting gore

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:46 pm
Of course, Al Jazeera is mainly presenting those pix to an audience prejudiced against the west....which sort of counters my argument....anywho, back to bed...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:49 pm
Suzy,

Allow me to posit the following. As it's an example of the same fallacy from conservatives it might be more palatable for you.

http://www.gunstuff.com/america-attacked.html

This is an example of the appeal to pity about 9/11 that is frequently used to justofy the war in Iraq.

It's a damn powerful piece, and always moves me. The music is perfect and the imagery does in fact tug at the heart strings.

Now where it becomes an insipid appeal to pity is when it's used for emotional whoredom.

At the bottom of the page it says: "THIS is what our Nation is responding to.
Please remember that in the difficult times ahead. "

Now many conservatives use this as a defense of the "war on terror" that they include Iraq in.

The validity of the war in Iraq is a frequent debate. But many use the 9/11 appeal to pity to justify it.

This is a fallacy.

Look, I've never had a qualm with shocking imagery. I have no qualm with the "reality of war" being understood.

I DO have a qualm when it's used for support of a political position.

Thus far the threads using this tactic were used to assert that the US is a band of murderers in Iraq.

One thread title was changed, and it originally implied the point that Iraqis were not satisfied with our actions.

Whether or not those positions are valid the use of the appeal to pity isn't.

Do you understand where I'm coming from? Anyone can put together a collage of dead babies to make a cheap point.

By cheap I refer to the facile nature of such arguments. Heck one thread already became one in which the other side simply responded in kind, with another set of body part images.

The point of this thread is that debating positions with imagery of body parts is a low level of debate. Not that the images should not be seen.

It's not an indictment of either images or emotions, it's an indictment of their use for fallacious arguments.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 12:04 am
dlowan wrote:
Hmm - I am unsure if you will discuss this with me Craven, however, I will discuss it with whomever wishes to answer.....

I ended up being uncivil a few times so I might as well discuss this.

Quote:
Is your concern with ANY images of suffering through conflict?

Not at all. My objection is for their use as political rhetoric. My objection is the appeal to pity fallacy. The images alone do not constitute this fallacy.

I object to the recent use of gore in lieu of actually supporting positions, debate by way of bodyparts is what I object to.

"I meet you two severed limbs and raise you one dead child"

Quote:
As you point out, my beliefs/prejudices/inclinations make me less concerned re appeals to pacifism via pictures of awful suffering less distasteful EMOTIONALLY.

Indeed, people say this is "bringing reality" and the problem is that the very notion of what is reality is what is often in dispute.

Instead of making the case for their reality people have been arguing by way of body parts.

Quote:
I do have a sense that we ought to be aware of the realities of situations - where we are involved, especially.

I have no objection to "reality", and I have no objection to gore. I have an objection of the use of gore to forward an opinion as this is a cheap tactic and a fallacy in debate.

Quote:
"Appeal to pity" - this implies, I take it, appeal to pacifism through pity?

No, an appeal to pity can be used even for an appeal to militarism.

Quote:
I think I originally got involved in this shemozzle through feeling that Al Jazeera was entitled to publish photos of the results of the siege - though I was worried about the whole voyeurism thing.

In my opinion someone has the obligation to publish those photos. This is not about the justification of documenting the tragedies, this is about the fallacy and level of debate.

I'll give another example. On rotten.com (a very very gory site) they have a section on Jenin.

The captions talk of the dispute of whether or not the Israelis committed a massacre in Jenin.

The captions then point you to the images of a few very gruesome bodies and say that you should decide. The implication is that upon the basis of a few very mutilated bodies one should make that decision.

Now whether or not Jenin qualifies as a massacre, the way those photos were captioned were a fallacious appeal to pity. The degree to which several bodies can evoke emotion says nothing about whether or not it was a massacre. Massacres are not decided based on how ugly a corpse is. If that were so a series of "clean" killings would not be a massacre.

Quote:
I was not arguing that on the basis of seeing visuals of the carnage as an argument for pacifism - just, I suppose, as presenting a sort of counter to the flatten 'em way of thinking and to what I see as a generally hygienized way of presenting the war in many of the major news sources in the west.

Personally, I prefer the "hygienized" media. I don't see it as "hygienized" but rather more professional.

There is a tabloid nature to the use of "shock jock" media and in my opinion the use of such "news" is very hard to do in a balanced manner.

This is usually a populist appeal. Each side will indulge in a little of the appeal to pity. We, for example, had media outlets using the mutilated Americans.

Whether or not these images should be published is not something I argued about. What I did argue about is the facile nature of emotional whoredom and the fallacy of using it in the manner it has been used here on A2K.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 01:33 am
Damn Craven; that got you fired up! I'm curious what is your opinion on this thread?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 01:54 am
Ok Craven - I am now somewhat puzzled by your extreme reaction to what I said.

What I THOUGHT I was saying was that I believed that some of the "gore" - ie the reality of whatever happened ought to be available regardless of "side" - that the results if actions by however many sides there are should be available.

I agree it is very hard to do in a balanced manner and perhaps this is an argument for not doing it at all.

I think what I was trying to say was that in the west we tend to see the bodies of soldiers etc - as in the poor contractors whe were killed - and I felt that this was unbalanced by much footage of the realities on the other side.

By hygienized I was thinking in the main of the terrible reporting of Iraq I - I think that the way this war was reported was in fact a lie.

I have not watched much of Iraq II, I confess - having been so disgusted by the action movie stuff in Iraq I.

I did not intend to defend the posting of the bodies as an argument that the colaition are evil bastards and should be pulled out.

You normally have good reason for thinking I have said something (no matter how uncivilly you express it) - so I assume it looked that way - I will have to go back and read it again later.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:51 am
I'm awake and, curiously, no longer excited by the notion of craven and mom.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:08 am
blatham wrote:

The human capacity for acceptance is mind boggling is it not? :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 10:18 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Damn Craven; that got you fired up! I'm curious what is your opinion on this thread?

I saw that, and was going to only comment that the difference between front page any any other page is not trivial.

I understand the concerns of both sides there but it's not really what I'm talking about. There it's the appropriateness of gore, and not the appropriateness of gore in a fallacious argument.

Earlier I made some comments on this thread about media avoiding tabloid sensationalism, and nother than that the rest of this here rantin' doesn't apply.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 12:15 pm
dlowan wrote:

Re-reading all your posts on this subject makes me think this may well be the case, and that my irritation at this tactic translated into irritation with you merely because of your circumstantial association with them through the defense of an unrelated (or marginally related) issue on media.

If that's the case I apologize. I do at the same time ask that if this is your position, why did you repeatedly question objections to the fallacy? That is not about media use of gore.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 12:17 pm
blatham wrote:

Mayhap the feelings were automatically cared for in nocturnal episodes?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 12:28 pm
Admittedly, Craven's debate style is so thorough and comprehensive, it is difficult sometimes to find the thesis in it. But what I'm getting from this is that he objects to a gruesome photo (or any other visual aid) being used as evidence to make a point when the whole picture might support a very different conclusion.

In this--and I can't believe I'm saying this--I agree whole heartedly with Craven.

And Craven, if I mischaracterized your intent, I apologize in advance. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 12:38 pm
What I see (or at least what I'd agree with) is that pictures are not an effective way to debate a point unless the point is "absolutely nobody has been injured in any way", (assuming the photo can somehow refute that point) and even then proof could be offered in other ways, such as a news article.

I do think there is an occasional place for gore/ extremely disturbing pictures in the news, especially in terms of what dlowan has mentioned about the coverage of Iraq I -- it is too easy for people to inure themselves to what the actual result is, the actual cost. I do think that those people need to have the actual cost thrust in front of their noses now and then since they won't seek it out.

This can irritating for those who would seek it out, who do know the cost, who don't need reminding.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 12:46 pm
Foxfyre,

I actually stated the thesis ad nauseum and it's slightly different than what you say. But it requires the understanding of one term: argumentum ad misericordiam.

I object to this fallacy in debate. I think it's further exacerbated when the manner of this fallacy's manifestation is the facile use of gore.

I summarized it in my first post: "Shock jock meets appeal to pity meets unimaginative debator."

It's not really an objection to visual aids and not really an objection to gore. It's an objection to an argumentum ad misericordiam made in particularly vulgar fashion and the frequency with which this has been used within the last week on A2K.

It degrades the site both through the level of debate it represents as well as the use of vulgarity for political purposes. It would be a damn pity if debate-by-way-of-body-parts became the norm here.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 12:56 pm
soz,

If this were merely about the "cost of war" it would have been far less of an appeal to pity fallacy. It would have perhaps just been distasteful and then the argument about war's inherent distastefullness becomes the issue.

But what the supporters here do not appreciate is that this was not the case in either of the two liberal instances of this that I criticize.

One was the implication that the US soldiers are muderers.

The other was edited and changed but was initially a "look at the grateful Iraqis" caption.

In both instances the arguments explicitly made or implied had nothing to do with a legitimate appeal to pity, they were a use of the appeal to pity tactic for a seperate argument that the imagery did not support.

As such it was shoddy vulgar debate.

LAstly, there was a conservative response to one that was just a gratuitous "I can find gore too" case. I suspect that was largely the point and it underscores the facile nature of such tactics but at that point I was irked with debate-by-way-of-body-part.

People were taking pre-existing positions (1. the US effort is "bad" and the soldiers are murderers 2. Iraqis are not grateful) and attempting to hijack a few body parts to argue it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 12:58 pm
Craven, point well taken and understood. And, while I agree with what I thought you said, I agree with what you in fact said as well. Smile
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 01:29 pm
dlowan wrote:
Sofia wrote:
I guess one test of non-partisanship in this argument would be--

Did you have the same opinion of the Bush administration publicising pictures of Uday and Qusay Hussien, as you do about showing pictures of the Iraqi dead?

Both OK, both wrong--or partisan?

Actually, in a way the showing of those pictures would equate more closely to showing pictures of the Iraqi dead, since they are Iraqi dead! But they are, of course a whole different class of dead person.

I guess they are the undeserving dead - not the deserving dead.

However, to address the meat of your question.

For me, as I am attempting to develop some kind of coherent view about all of this (for despite Craven's assuming that I have a static one, and that it is horizontal, I am still trying to do so - and I am very open to contradiction) I would of course see whatever is wrong or right for one side being so for the other.

For anyone else who *may have* missed the point-- I was trying to find a partisan filter.

Liberals generally lined up on the side that the Bush administration was wrong to publicise pictures of Uday and Qusay. And the same contingent walked over to the other side of the issue on showing pictures of the innocent Iraqi dead--saying those pictures should be seen.

I thought someone who took that position may step forward for discussion.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 01:40 pm
bm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 02:59 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Re-reading all your posts on this subject makes me think this may well be the case, and that my irritation at this tactic translated into irritation with you merely because of your circumstantial association with them through the defense of an unrelated (or marginally related) issue on media.

If that's the case I apologize. I do at the same time ask that if this is your position, why did you repeatedly question objections to the fallacy? That is not about media use of gore.

Hmmm - well, the repeated questions I can see (on the siege and photos from Iraq threads) are because I was conflating your position re what was happening on threads here with your position on the photos being published at all - which I think others here have done as well.

This was a side issue to you, but was THE issue in my mind, because I was busy thinking it through - and was what I was arguing - I think it was only when I read your comments re the September 11th site on this thread that I really separated out the two issues fully and realised exactly where your vehemence was coming from.

I mean, I had understood your point at some stage - though not immediately - but had become engaged in the argument from the position of what was right for media, and lost it in terms of it being in my head when I was discussing the issues.

In support of your point re my leanings, I think both points would have been crystal clear and separate in my mind, and stayed that way, re photos from "the other side".

It's sort of funny in a way, cos I was so stunned at your language yesterday, that we ended up in a long discussion of the media and its portrayal of war at lunch - I was trying to see if anyone else thought so ill of my arguments as you, because, as I said, you always have good reasons for your position, and you think more incisively than I do, so I was trying to test them out - and I wanted to see what other people's thoughts were on the issue anyway. Made for a great discussion - which, of course, went other places.

If you are thinking of other posts, you'll need to reference them.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:13 pm
Just to be specific the posts I re read were all the ones of yours on the threads I am speaking of.

Rereading it made it clear that you were objecting to my position but through an apparent conflation of my position with the general media argument.

My reading incomprehension was to associate your objections there to an objection to the position you'd objected to (if that doesn't make sense what I'm saying is that you objected to a position that you don't really seem to object to and I read it as having been precisely that when re-reading makes it clear that it wasn't).

Anywho, not much chance for coherence right now. I am in a very pressing leg of the rat race.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:31 pm
No worries - I am pretty sure I understand - don't fall off the rat...
0 Replies