When debate descends to the level of posting gore

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:10 pm
Fine. Blue ribbon to you.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:10 pm
blatham wrote:
Bad analogy. Whomever posted the pictures didn't shoot us.

Incorrect. Good analogy. It illustrates that "education" and "bringing reality home" to the individual are not always justification for a line of action or discourse.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:11 pm
kickycan wrote:

I don't think this is the same thing.

Yes, kickycan, analogies tend not to be the same thing. They are different things used for illustrative purposes.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:12 pm
SCoates wrote:

Not impressive. Tell me something you find acceptable, and I'm sure I can take it to a gross extreme as well as you can.

You have already shown this to me. You support the extreme of partisan rhetoric and idiocy in debate.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:12 pm
I think you might be projecting your own feelings about it on others. There are people for whom this kind of thing would have value, and might affect the way they see an issue.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:14 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
kickycan wrote:

I don't think this is the same thing.

Yes, kickycan, analogies tend not to be the same thing. They are different things used for illustrative purposes.

Ooh, you are a little bit snippy tonight! Laughing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:14 pm
kickycan wrote:
I think you might be projecting your own feelings about it on others. There are people for whom this kind of thing would have value, and might affect the way they see an issue.

You think incorrectly, I do in fact understand that others have different values and am in fact going so far as to label them [said values] idiotic in nature.

Yes, I am well aware of the differences in the degree to which one's opinions are formed by appeals to emotional whoredom.

Edit: clarified "them".
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:15 pm
I guess one test of non-partisanship in this argument would be--

Did you have the same opinion of the Bush administration publicising pictures of Uday and Qusay Hussien, as you do about showing pictures of the Iraqi dead?

Both OK, both wrong--or partisan?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:16 pm
kickycan wrote:

There are worse things to be tonight. Like a supporter of idiocy in debate. :wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:21 pm
Come on craven. You've got ebrown and deb and god knows who else in a different position than you on this one. I don't know what the hell is up with you tonight, but it ain't happy. You've got a bug up your ass about me still, and frankly I don't give a fuk, because I don't have one about you.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:21 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
kickycan wrote:

There are worse things to be tonight. Like a supporter of idiocy in debate. :wink:

I am not supporting idiocy in debate for everyone. Just for the idiots. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:27 pm
blatham wrote:
Come on craven. You've got ebrown and deb and god knows who else in a different position than you on this one.

See: argumentum ad populum. See: idiocy in debate.

Quote:
I don't know what the hell is up with you tonight, but it ain't happy. You've got a bug up your ass about me still, and frankly I don't give a fuk, because I don't have one about you.

blatham, I have a bug up my ass about idiocy in debate. You have the misfortune to have decided to align yourself with it squarely. It's lamentable but also "your ass", as you would say, to do with what you will. I've no qualm with you. As far as Canadians go you are half-way decent.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:27 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
blatham wrote:
Bad analogy. Whomever posted the pictures didn't shoot us.

Incorrect. Good analogy. It illustrates that "education" and "bringing reality home" to the individual are not always justification for a line of action or discourse.

Well, I have to give it to you, you are very witty when you debate poorly. I don't think anyone here has stated that such action is ALWAYS justified. In your absurd cases, it obviously is not. Taking an issue to a gross extreme proves nothing, yet it is the basis for your entire argument, yet when I mentioned that you simply stated that I was debating poorly? Ooh, that's class.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:31 pm
Scoats,

You also should admit your penchant for creating straw men. I never said anyone had argued that education is "always" justification.

I was making the point that "education" and "bringing home reality" are not automatic "get out of jail free" cards for idiocy in debate. People use "it's humor" or "it's art" or "it's education" all the time as if associated justification were a given. It's not.

Yes, you are debating poorly. Count how many times you ascribe to me positions I do not take in order to knowck them down.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:32 pm
Quote:
As far as Canadians go you are half-way decent.
If you ever, and I mean EVER, say that to me again, I will remove whatever teeth you didn't leave in that Brazillian whore's thigh.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:34 pm
Shocked She was my true love.....

But yeah, she was a whore....
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:36 pm
LOL

She was also my mother, you goddamn rotter.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:37 pm
Any picture from 9/11/01 speaks VOLUMES more than words ever could, Craven.
And there is most certainly educational value in having to think for yourself based on pictures and images rather than merely forming your opinions based on other people's words.
The level of critical thinking and yes, emotional intelligence engaged in when seeing and interpreting an image for yourself goes well beyond any other modality of education.
You are arguing over something of which you obviously have little experience to make a valid judgement. Insisting that only you are correct despite the beliefs of older and wiser people than yourself simply highlights your youth and ignorance of the subject. You are wrong and you are rude in this topic. It's uncalled for.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:37 pm
edit--
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 09:38 pm
blatham wrote:

She was also my mother, you goddamn rotter.

This discussion reminds me of when my brother Lusatian called me a son of a bitch. Laughing
0 Replies