Marmite Debate

chai2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 11:31 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

Debate???

There's no debate. Marmite is an inferior product!

Vegemite rules!

Yeah, you've said that before on the thread, but may I ask why you think that?

Of course I can't say for sure since I haven't tried vegemite yet, but what I mostly liked about marmite was the very very strong flavor. If has been said vegemite doesn't taste as strong, I'm thinking I wouldn't like it as well.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 11:50 am
@chai2,
The Marmite Challenge.....

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 11:53 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I had to look up crumpets.

They look like what we call English Muffins. I eat them all the time.

not the same
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 11:54 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Nope, no scones for me thanks, I'll pass.

They're sort of like biscuits (american biscuits) and I didn't grow up eating them, so they aren't on my top ten.

again - not the same

(cooking class for you!)
chai2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 12:20 pm
@ehBeth,
That's why I said "sort" of like biscuits.

I looked at various receipes, and googled "scones vs biscuits" and the general agreement was that they are kind of similar.

Similar enough that if you don't like scones (I don't like scones) then you probably won't like biscuits (I don't like biscuits)

Anyway, I just had some marmite on buttered toast. I didn't really care for it on bread.

I liked a little taste of it straight from the jar.

I think that's how I'll eat it occassionally.
chai2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 12:22 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

The Marmite Challenge.....

[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7twnZ1T-WU[/youtube]

Holy ****, I can't believe he put a whole spoonful of that in his mouth! And ate the whole jar!

I still have a taste of marmite in my nasal cavities of 10 minutes ago, I can't imagine an entire spoonful.

I love at 1:53 Very Happy

This guy probably had a stroke right after the video was over.

Don't look at me with your judgemental british eyes.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 02:47 pm
@chai2,
Doesn't it just make you want to grimace, shudder and then hide behind a cushion and shout NOOOOOOOOOOO!
chai2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 03:43 pm
@Lordyaswas,
How did you guess?

That's exactly what I did.
chai2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 04:32 pm
@chai2,
Ok, for Americans who have never tasted marmite, I'll try to describe a facsimile of its taste.

Let's say you made a roast beef, and after removing the roast you let all the drippings cook away to a dense crust on the pan. But before you let if reduce to it's most fundemental form, you oversalt it.

I've watched videos of Americans, especially teens tasting it, and in my opinion they were over reacting, all this fake retching for the camera and their friends. I also watched some Russian teens trying it, and I felt their reacation was more reasonable.

While it's true some of the Russian teens obviously did not like it, most of them tasted a bit, made a considering face, then kind of shrugged their shoulders saying "It's ok" or "No, I don't like it" or some saying "It's fine" This I took as in the U.S. it seems reactions have to be over the top, like everything in done for an audience.

While it's definately not for everyone, and it's true when you first taste it you'll decide within the next minute if you would ever try it again, it's not as if you were eating something rotten, moldy or poisonous.

It's just really, really savory.

I really can't tell what I'd like it on.

Ok, something else I thought of.

Maybe American palates, especially teens overeact to marmite because in todays culture, all many teens experience is what I consider pretty bland fare.
Not just things like chicken nuggets (more for little kids) but what I think of as "homogenized" foods. Fast foods like Taco Bell, pizza, burgers, skinless chicken breasts, horrible cardboard like tomatoes and processed cheese. I know there's a lot of foodies on A2K, but I've lived in a lot of places in the U.S. where experimentation is never thought of. Ya got yer slab of meat and a can of green beans and there ya go. Throw some salty stuff on the meat and call it barbeque.

So, when confronted with something really intense like marmite, naturally it's hard to know what to do with it.

I think maybe the Russian teens, as well as generally being more stoic, eat foods that are closer to the earth. I grew up in a polish american household, and while most of the food was american fare, and my mother not a good cook to boot, we did semi regulary eat stuff that involved innards of animals that many people today don't even know are edible.

When I got the marmite at WF's the cashier looked at it and commented. I replied "Yeah, apparently I'm going to either love it or hate it."
The guy behind me, not more than 19 or 20 said "Oh, marmite, I love it! I've eaten it all my life."
I looked at him and laughingly said "Don't tell me, your parents are British, or maybe Aussies" He said "My mom is, well actually she's from Scotland."
I asked "So, do you like haggis?" and he replied enthusiastically "Yeah, it's the best!"

Exposure.

If you told most teens in the U.S. what haggis was made of, their reactions would go viral.

chai2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 04:57 pm
Questions for those in the U.K. from Wally.

He wants to know if you put it on your spotted dick?

(btw, he liked it too, marmite, not the spotted dick)
chai2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:02 pm
@chai2,
Well I'm American, and I'm going to eat this the only way I know how. Like a complete jackass.

Laughing

farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:12 pm
@chai2,
Weve discovered that, Marmite or Vegemite, when mixed with cornmenal mush and overcooked and formed into bait balls,IT IS GREAT BAIT FOR CATFISHIN. Everyone knows that The greatest eatin catfish is the Susquehnna channel cattie. It has a really nice flavor done up as crispy fish (cornmeal batter only, don't talk about that Panko ****) and I think the marmite "peels off and forms a chum" and this brings em in from downstream.
Channel catties are best caught at night.
chai2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:16 pm
@farmerman,
We just gave otis and roland some.

roland really liked it, and otis said WTF?
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:18 pm
@chai2,
you got a pet catfish named OTIS? KEWL.
chai2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:19 pm
@farmerman,
His full name is evil otis. He says WTF a lot.
farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:34 pm
@chai2,
after shoving marmite down his throat, why am I not surprised?
chai2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 05:51 pm
@farmerman,
I went next door to where Wally was jawin' with neighbor Bill, and gave Bill the Marmite Challenge.

He tasted it, considered, then asked to see the jar.

I gave it to him and he got up and went into his house, saying "I'm keeping this!"

Bill stole my marmite.

farmerman

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 07:52 pm
@chai2,
introduce him to Mr Dynomite
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 09:04 pm
@chai2,
You described it well...I like it on toast.
chai2

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 09:31 pm
@panzade,
Thanks.

Moving on to haggis.

I just watched a video, and thought, that looks just like kishka!

While eating kishka would be too rich for me now, I loved it as a child.

I googled "haggis vs kishka" and sure enough it said something like "kishka is like a jewish haggis"

While I'm not jewish, I think that sounds accurate.

Haggis....

http://terriskitchenuk.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/haggis.jpg

Kishka...

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/mojo49/IMG_0020a-1.jpg
0 Replies