Marmite Debate

Eve

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:28 pm
Kiwis go for Marmite - and everyone knows we have much better taste than the Aussies!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 01:39 am
Eve wrote:
Kiwis go for Marmite - and everyone knows we have much better taste than the Aussies!

Razz
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 02:01 am
this from the nation that gave us McDonalds! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Gouldy

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 02:40 am
I had it on my toast this morning :-)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 04:43 am
vivien, at least McDonalds doesnt taste vile
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 05:59 am
If you want me to faint - just hold a open bottle of Marmite near my nose !!

Another Londoner !!! Welcome Gouldy !
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 06:43 am
Now, I hear that Marmot is much tastier than Marmite, but sadly, it's now a protected species.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 06:49 am
You're kidding, right? Marmots? I can show you a couple spots where the buggers are everywhere.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 06:51 am
Well, call up them tree-huggers in BC and tell them you'll ship 'em over so we can eat them again.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 06:55 am
Get yerself down to Jellystone, they got tons of 'em. The slopes around Mt. Whitney, too, but you better trek in through mineral springs. There's a waiting list these days for the "main" trailhead.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 06:56 am
(Mineral Springs? Mineral King? Everything is going gray around these brain parts...)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:34 am
farmerman wrote:
vivien, at least McDonalds doesnt taste vile

now artistically I agree with you frequently - but this!!!!! Shocked

McDonald's does taste vile! America has a lot to answer for inflicting them on the world!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:52 am
McDonald's is vile and an embarrassment, however, I would never even classify it as cuisine.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:54 am
A key difference, though: McDonalds has never had a meaningful purpose. Vegemite/marmite did, and have outlived it. A comparison would be if the English ate "digestives" even when they weren't constipated.

Oh, wait...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:58 am
now you leave my digestive biscuits - better still Hobnobs - alone!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 12:59 pm
How about Pontefract Cakes, they are quite tasty.

and Jammy Dodgers are ok
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 01:09 pm
I've visited Britain several times and I do have to say it is one of my favorite places to visit, but I do get a kick out of some of your foods and how and when you eat them. Of course every culture is different and it does not mean one way is better than another. Whew - now that I got that politically correct stuff out of the way, I have a question on some of your foods other than marmite. I do love digestives too and found myself eating them for a snack. Anyway, I went to one nightclub in London and noticed that on the list of snacks, they had what I would consider normal to offer, but there was also beans. Do you all really eat a bowl or cup of beans for a snack? Another time I was visiting in the Lakes region, my friend and I met up with an Englishman that we knew from when he worked in the US. We stopped somewhere to get some tea and a snack and he got beans. What is it with the beans?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 01:47 pm
Lincat --------- Beans. Cheap, tasty & versatile.

When We came out of WW2 the country was broke. Baked Beans were very welcome and remained popular ever since.

you can add them to many meals & go well in stews & other meals, such as curry & bolognese sauce. Other than that, just put 'em down as being one of our quirky little habits/traditions
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 02:59 pm
This brings back fond memories from my public school days. Thursdays:Roast beef w horseradish and Yorkshire puddin'. After a day of sailing in the cold North Sea, lovely cups of tea with milk and jam toast.Kippers on the morning train from London. Only thing I hated was orange squash.

(added)

Oh, and baked beans on toast...lol
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:04 pm
panzade, sound like gluttony to me. The ------------------tastebudswateringlipsmackingoodtastinstomachfillinfoodofthegods
0 Replies