How many Atheist Presidents have we had in the U.S.?

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 09:48 pm
Do you know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 5,237 • Replies: 64

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 09:59 pm
None that would say so.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 10:00 pm
@maxdancona,
Who cares? People are sometimes not what they say they are. Presidents are no different.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 10:02 pm
@MontereyJack,
That is not the question.

The question is how many did not believe in God. I find it very hard to believe that all of our presidents actually believed in God. It is likely that many US presidents did not actually believe in God.

There is no reason that an actual belief in God is required for such a position of power.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2013 10:02 pm
@maxdancona,
No, I don't know.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 12:59 am
@maxdancona,
Before Darwin came along and explained how animal life in it many forms could exist without an intelligent agent it was hard for anyone to be an out and out atheist.

With that said there was at least Deists that if they could had read "On the Origin of Species" would had in all likelihood had been out and out atheists.

Jefferson our third president come to mind in that regard.

Of course as time went by and a higher percent of the unwashed masses could and did vote and the electoral college no longer acted as a buffer it became harder and harder not to at least give lip service to religion and a god.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 04:20 am
I would say none. The ''founding fathers' were mostly Masons and Freethinkers and although they may not have believed in the conventional 'trinity' of protestant theology they bowed their heads. Both Adams were Unitarians, Jefferson was a Freethinker, Lincoln didn't show his religion and was known to reject the doxonomy of the King James Bible, Teddy Roosevelt wasn't a paticularly religious and definetley wasn't 'Churchy'. FDR, being the consummate politician used religion as a tool. Hoover was a Unitarian.

Carter is probably the only President that uses his moral center as a true Christian, and look what the religious right thinks of Carter. Bush (the lesser) was A "Born Again' Dominionist, and considering their love of Revalations and the Rapture, the World is lucky to have survived.

Most of the rest of the modern Presidents have either worn their religion on their sleeve, or said it was none of their damn business.

As for an Atheist President, that would be political suicide.

Rap

rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 05:11 am
@maxdancona,
My guess would be zero to none. But I don't know. Thomas Jefferson is the only one I can think of who might come the closest, even though I doubt he would have used the word "Atheist" to describe himself. None the less, in his heart of hearts...
farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 05:42 am
@rosborne979,
Taft was a Unitarian and those people believe in spreading "Christian Ideals" without all the religious baggage.
BillRM

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 12:55 pm
@raprap,
Quote:
I would say none

LOL not at all likely given that the elite have always tend to be unbelievers in greater numbers then the general population if not sadly open nonbelievers.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 12:59 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Taft was a Unitarian and those people believe in spreading "Christian Ideals" without all the religious baggage.

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarian_Universalism

Current concepts about deity, however, are diverse among UUs. While some are still Monotheistic, often from a Judeo-Christian perspective, many profess Atheism or Agnosticism. UUs see no contradiction in open Atheists and Agnostics being members of their community because of the rich Unitarian legacy of free inquiry and reason in matters of faith. Still other UUs subscribe to Deism, Pantheism, or Polytheism. Many UUs reject the idea of deities and instead speak of the "spirit of life" that binds all life on earth.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 01:51 pm
I remember growing up in the 1950s/60s where the King Jame bible was being read in the public schools and the most hated woman in the nation was Madalyn Murray O'Hair and of course the godless commie scum was about to A bomb us at any moment and we have drills of diving under our school desks.

Not a good time to be an open Atheist to say the least and similar to being gay in the military until last year.

I remember my joy at getting a hold of a copy of "the age of reason" by Paine and also reading how Jefferson rejected all the supernatural nonsense of Christian.

My guess is that like gays atheists kept a low profile over the subject be they Presidents or a child growing up in the 50s not that they did not and do not exist in some numbers.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 02:05 pm
@rosborne979,
I am pretty sure that Wilson was an atheist, as was Ronald Reagan and maybe the senior George Bush.

I am also pretty sure that Obama is an atheist (or does everyone already know that).
maxdancona

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 02:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh yes... and Bill Clinton. He is definitely an atheist.
BillRM

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 02:33 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Oh yes... and Bill Clinton. He is definitely an atheist.

Interesting and may I ask what information do you base that opinion on?

My memory may not be correct but when his sexual conduct came to light did he not turn to some TV fundamental minister?
coldjoint

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 03:09 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Interesting and may I ask what information do you base that opinion on?

My memory may not be correct but when his sexual conduct came to light did he not turn to some TV fundamental minister?

No, although he did go to Jesse Jackson( fellow adulterer) for help.
raprap

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 03:16 pm
@coldjoint,
Coldjabber what and who don't you hate?

Rap
coldjoint

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 03:19 pm
@raprap,
What and who don't you use the "hate" word with? People that agree? Hardly makes me as much a hater as it makes you an arrogant fool.

And point out the hate in that post. That is a fact. Facts don't hate.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 03:31 pm
@coldjoint,
It couldent have anything to do with your obnoxious rejoiners could it?
coldjoint

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 03:33 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
It couldent have anything to do with your obnoxious rejoiners could it?

Verses the arrogance here? Seems to be a fair trade off to me. I don't expect you to agree, but that is all it is.