How many Atheist Presidents have we had in the U.S.?

RABEL222

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 03:41 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Verses the arrogance here? Seems to be a fair trade off to me. I don't expect you to agree, but that is all it is.

I knew this would be a waste of time. Bye bye cj.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 03:46 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
I knew this would be a waste of time. Bye bye cj.

Take the arrogance with you.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 04:05 pm
Washington and Jefferson are usually classified as Episcopalian, although some class them as deists. Their Episopalianism may have been rather tenuous - I'm not sure if either of them were regular church-goers - and Jefferson thought that the best parts of the New Testament were the bits that didn't involve Jesus. Still, it's difficult, when looking at their writings, to say that neither of them believed in a higher power of some sort.

Franklin Pierce more or less gave up on religion after the death of his son in a train wreck and devoted his life thereafter to alcoholism. He may have become an atheist, or he may have just been a bitter drunk.

Adams, father and son, Fillmore, and Taft were Unitarians. Although Unitarians today have some vague notions about god, that's more of a recent development in their theology. Back in the day, they were largely Christians who rejected the trinity.

Lincoln never belonged to any church, but his writings make it clear that he believed in the Christian concept of god (although he may have been agnostic about Jesus).

And, of course, Obama is a Muslim.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 04:09 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
And, of course, Obama is a Muslim.

Obama is an Atheist Muslim (so we are both right). He is also the Anti-Christ.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 05:18 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I am also pretty sure that Obama is an atheist (or does everyone already know that).

I don't know about the others, but I would expect Obama to be an Atheist even though he claims to be Christian. I think he's pragmatic and know that Atheists don't get elected as president in the US (at least not in this day and age). In the future, who knows, but I don't think I'll live to see it (unfortunately). It's harder in this country to elect and Atheist than it is a black man (even a guy who's a 50/50 mix of black and white who just happens to look black).
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 05:16 pm
@rosborne979,
How does your supposition affect your view of the man?

It's not like he has simply avoided the matter and left people to assume he's a Christian.

rosborne979

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2013 07:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
How does your supposition affect your view of the man?

I think he's a politician. And among that group I never expect the bar for honesty to be set too high. So I overlook trivial political maneuverings and judge more on the substantive actions taken.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 07:46 am
I know people who are Christians who say they don't believe in God. You can be a cultural Christian and many people go to church because they want to give something to their children.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 08:00 am
How many Atheist Presidents have we had in the U.S.?

Who gives a ****?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 08:02 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Who gives a ****?

Obviously anyone who takes the time to respond to this thread.
Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 08:04 am
@maxdancona,
Not necessarily--i took the time to respond (i hadn't seen it until now) to point out what an idiotic question it is--not because i give a rat's ass what any president believes or does not believe about such matters.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 08:07 am
@Setanta,
Having an opinion about what an idiotic question shows that you have put some thought into it.

It means that you do give a ****. There are lots of people who didn't even read this post. Those are the ones who truly don't give a ****.
Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 08:14 am
@maxdancona,
No, you're wrong. I saw the title of the thread, and i said to myself: "What an idiotic question." It took no time at all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 08:15 am
For the record, i am what the religionists call an atheist. I've known for my entire adult life that these things don't matter. Don't tell what you believe or don't believe because all that matters is what you do or don't do.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 11:43 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
For the record, i am what the religionists call an atheist. I've known for my entire adult life that these things don't matter. Don't tell what you believe or don't believe because all that matters is what you do or don't do.

That statement implies that judgement will be passed by someone or something. No one believes in nothing. And if they say they do, it only proves the obvious.
Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 12:05 pm
@coldjoint,
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/common_loon_joshmerril.jpg
coldjoint

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 12:07 pm
@Setanta,
Your God or your husband?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 12:10 pm
Your character. Although homosexual marriage is legal where i live, there is no man i am interested in marrying, and The Girl wouldn't let me bring him home anyway . . . i should use a different image though . . .

http://firstmainlanddonkeyandmuleclub.webs.com/braying.jpg

. . . because you are a great, braying jackass.
raprap

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 12:28 pm
@Setanta,
You're giving him too much credit.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4004/4578969208_d57599a787_z.jpg

Rap
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2013 10:35 pm
@Setanta,
I hate to sound childish, but takes it takes one to know one.

But congrats on the many years of bullshit.
0 Replies