THE SAMMICHES OF THE GODS . . .

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 09:52 pm
Me too. I never really liked them til I had one from the garden..
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 04:20 am
Tomatoes...aaaahhhh (imagine Homer drooling!)

I adore good tomatoes. As I don't have a garden, I spend ridiculous money on getting great tomatoes rather than the supermarket red water balls, which taste of nothing and are so acidic!

Vine ripened organic...even if they do cost the equivalent of about $1 each!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 04:27 am
KP, tomatoes are ridiculously easy to grow, and you can do it in a window box as well. Next year, think about starting a few plants in some small terra cotta pots, which you can leave by a sunny window. Later, you can transfer them to larger pots. Tomato plants are obscenely productive . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 05:13 am
hmmmmm
Setanta has that little garden patch outside his front door ... tomatoes ... fresh ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 05:14 am
I had tomatoes growning there once, but the damned landscaping service cuts down or roots up any plant they did not themselves place there.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 12:50 pm
We're all going to hell in a handcart!

I saw bagels in my supermarket today! My first bagel sighting in a supermarket here! I guess they're an acquired taste - my jaws aren't strong enough! Or I'm not desperate enough to acquire it@!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 12:56 pm
Does Korean food wrapped up in a lettuce leaf count as a sammich? Must a sammich contain bread?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 03:15 pm
...of course it's a sammiche Cav....and so are
those little sushi rice delicacies wrapped in paper thin seaweed and dipped in sauce!
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 03:17 pm
And so is a Little Debbie Oatmeal pie.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 03:41 pm
I discovered a new favorite sammich today. I was about to open a "tell me your favorite sammich" thread but thought it was one that must have surfaced over time. Sure 'nuf -- here is an oldie-but-goodie on favorite sammiches (losts of old faces in this thread Crying or Very sad )

Anyway -- the other night I made a large batch of artichoke dip (2 cans artichoke hearts - chopped, 1 cup mayo, 2 cups shredded mozerlla, 1/2 cup parmesan, and one clove garlic - minced, all mixed together) but I only heated half of it. The other half has been waiting for me to get creative.

Today, I took about 6" of a baguette, split it lengthwise, and scooped out most of the soft bread inside, leaving two boats. I filled the boats with unbaked artichoke dip, baked it at 350 for about 8 mins (melt the cheese and heat through), topped them with a slice of turkey breast and baked for another five minutes.

YES!!! We have a winner.

Do you have any new (or tried-and-true) sammich recipes to share?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 03:45 pm
Uhm . . . no . . . but pass me one a them artee-choke boats, 'K?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:12 pm
Embarrassed but there's more baguette left on the shelf and dip in the fridge
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:13 pm
bit elaborate for a sambo, innit?

That's a meal in my lingo!

Beside, I don't like artichoaks!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 04:37 pm
S'OK, JPB and i can eat the sammiches in peace, undisturbed by satanic cats . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:18 pm
Sounds like a damn fine sammich.
0 Replies

vid

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:21 pm
Another one for you, Setanta.

Slice some green pepper, half a garlic clove (chopped) and some sliced onion into a skillet and drizzle it with olive oil. Saute until tender.
Add thinly sliced sirloin (enough for a sandwich), salt, pepper, and heat for a while, until steak is cooked to your liking.
Chop the other half of the garlic clove and mix well into a small amount of butter. Spread this onto two thick slices of crusty white bread. Pour the contents of the skillet onto one slice, and place the other slice on top.

Beats a run of the mill steak sammich, but don't go breathing on anyone for a while.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:22 pm
It could very well turn into a meal, margo. It was a late lunch and I'm not the least bit hungry. I may end up calling in linner (lunch/dinner) and have something light later.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:25 pm
Vid, are you one a them Eye-talian folks? That's two sammiches now, both of which have a definite paisano character . . .
0 Replies

vid

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 05:30 pm
Extraction only, I'm afraid. Born and raised on Mamma's secret recipes.

(which means anything she had to hand at the time) Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:25 pm
What a thread, and Setanta's first post is a classic..

Just reread it all, now am going to have to make a sammich..

That dip bagette thing sounds great (I do like artichokes, mostly).
0 Replies