A sandwich made of garbage for a skunk who's on the prowl
Honey for the Honeybee, Duckweed for the duck
A sandwich made of clover for the old woodchuck because

Chorus (A few times)

And that's the end
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 08:59 am
Saturday's two AM Reuben was a sight to behold, the grilled buttered bread and pink pink salty meat struggling mightily to make amends for the miserly application of kraut.

In Santa Cruz, Mike kneaded the dough for his definitive breads with dirty fingernails -- and if it was that finger-jam that made his flour-dusted potato bread the perfect platform for turkey, avocado, red onion, and mayo that it was, then I love it.

If only I was so well-versed in world history and conquest as set and edgar... I move about in the modern sammiche world with no appreciation for the sammiche struggles and conquests that made it possible for me to partake of an Italian sub with Chicago-style giardiniera one day and one of those Vietnamese turkey sammiches with the shredded carrots, cucumbers, and hot red sauce the next. (If only we could get them to slather on a spicy Thai peanut sauce, we'd be a bundle of slathering mouth we would, yes.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:00 am
mmmmmmmmm . . . Thai peanut sauce . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:55 am
Crammed into a hard french roll with dry turkey, shredded carrots, diced cucumber, maybe some bean sprouts.

And cilantro. I forgot -- lots of fresh cilantro.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:59 pm
That sounds like one of our preferred work lunches.

On a very fresh roll, they put chicken (not a turkey country!), carrot, cucumber, mayonnaise, coriander (translate to cilantro), and a bucket load of chili, green onion, and some mystery ingredients. We ring up and order them, and then someone out to collect them. Some odd-bods add cheese. I was pleased to see yesterday that they segregated my cheese-free roll from those contaminated with that yellow stuff.

They also do fresh rice paper rolls, my favourites, with chicken and prawn (shrimp) and other stuff, with a peanutty sauce. Unfortuntely the rice paper roll lady was on holidays yesterday - the nerve!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:27 pm
shepaints, given that there is nothing inherently wrong with a cheese and tomato or cucumber sammich, I would say the only place to fuss about would be the quality of the ingredients. A fine, non-commercial bread, a good quality cheese (sharp aged cheddar is my preference), a RIPE tomato, or a well-chilled crispy English cucumber. Sometimes, it's not about the razzle dazzle, it's only about the ingredients.

Now, I was flippant earlier regarding the fine sammich fare in Ireland. Having honeymooned there, we had great pub food, including fantastic sammiches. Now, you thought the Brits were insensitive to the Irish....here is my sammich story from our honeymoon:

Mrs. cav and I were enjoying a fine dinner and a tipple at one of Wexford's 'Pubs of Distinction' when two 'Merican lasses sit down next to us. They begin perusing the sammiches. One says to the waiter, in typical 'Merican fashion "EXCUSE me?"

The waiter, with perfect polite charm says: "Ah yes, miss. What can I do for you?"

"WHAT'S Egg Mayonnaisse??"

"Ahh, yes. Well, you take some egg and cook it, and chop it up, and put mayonnaisse in it."

"OH. Why don't you just call it EGG SALAD then???"

"Yes, miss, you are right. It should be called egg salad. If we continue to call it egg mayonnaisse, then the terrorists indeed win. Would you like a side of freedom fries with that?"

Okay, except for the last two sentences, the story is absolute truth.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:30 pm
Knowing the Irish, he was thinking as much, or something similar, even if he didn't say it. An egg mayonnaise and egg salad are not the same thing.

mmmmmmmmm . . . egg salad sammiches . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:44 pm
It was the charm and the diplomacy, Set, that separated our Irishman from the 'Mericans like egg mayonnaisse and egg salad, or hummus and humus.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:55 pm
[edit]
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:03 pm
Put them all in between two slices of heavy wheat bread and send it over here, will ya?

Thanks, sweetie . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:31 pm
Mmm....thinly sliced grilled Thai flank steak, rare, red leaf lettuce, spicy peanut sauce, sweet sweet tomatoes and marinated red onions....getting hungry now...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:38 pm
Ain't a sammich a sublime thing, Boss?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:43 pm
Absolutely.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:46 pm
omg cav, bring on the thai sammiche!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:13 pm
The secret is a few mint leaves tossed in with the chopped lettuce....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:40 pm
Mmmm, just had a lazy sweet potato green curry over linguine with, and now you've got me thinking sandwiches. It's no wonder this gut keeps growing.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:18 pm
I'm also rather fond of those sammiches which
are placed in a waffle-iron kind of device and
toasted and melted......
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 12:53 pm
Had some nice sammiches this evening...fresh wholemeal bread, butter, mustard, ham.
Cup of tea. Marvellous.
Sammiches. You know it makes sense.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 12:56 pm
I just finished a nice peanut butter and jelly.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 01:14 pm
It's been a bagel day. Sorry, sammiches.
0 Replies