The results of the siege of Fallujah

Sofia

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 01:10 pm
Carrying out emergency repairs to Iraq's water infrastructure
CARE Iraq's mobile workshop team provides an essential service

6 September 2003
CARE International has set up a special mobile workshop team to conduct emergency repairs to key water installations, primarily water treatment plants, in central and southern Iraq.

The team has been created to enable CARE to respond immediately and flexibly to emergency calls. CARE receives a range of requests from communities and government authorities and, at times, needs to react swiftly to ensure that water supplies remain intact.

The mobile workshop team, comprising Iraqi engineers and technicians, makes this possible. Materials are procured locally and the team camps out at the facility location until the work is completed - this can take three to four weeks - working in temperatures that sometimes exceed 50?°C.

Many of Iraq's water facilities are in such bad condition that they are operating at just 30-40 percent capacity. Often, the mobile workshop team walk into installations to discover antiquated equipment, which has not been adequately maintained for over a decade and hasn't been repaired because of a lack of spare parts. Rusted main water pumps spew waste water onto the floor of the treatment plants, while large urban communities, with populations of between 250,000 - 750,000, continue to struggle with inadequate quantities of clean water.
The workshop team is currently working on the Muradiya Compact Water Unit in the town of Baqouba in Diyala Governorate, and on the Namaniya Water Treatment Plant in Wassit Governorate, improving the water supply to approximately 400,000 people.

CARE's Mobile Workshop project is an excellent example of how modest programme funds, implemented in a flexible and focused manner, can bring immediate and sustainable benefits that improve the everyday life of large numbers of people.
------------
Struggling with inadequate supplies of clean water doesn't sound like the
posh environs of which the thread originator speaks...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 01:14 pm
There's an older article in theEncyclopedia of the Orient, which gives a couple of pre-war figures.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 01:19 pm
That was a really good, informative link, Walter.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 01:22 pm
hobitbob wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Yes, I am sure Saddam took very good care of everyone in Iraq. That's why he was so loved.

Rolling Eyes

No one has said Hussein was a nice person, however, Iraq had the highest standard of living of any nation in that area before the invasion. Clean water and electricity were not things that came and went with the wind,a s they are now. I don't care if you choose to "believe" this or not, but you might wish to do some basic research before you post stupid comments, which seem to be your forte. One gets the impression that you would have been quite happy to be a part of the Huseein regime from the comments you have made here.

Care to revise this statement yet?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 01:27 pm
They clearly have a better water system now, thanks to the coalition.

C'Mon. Nobody's right all the time. :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 01:36 pm
A couple of young Albuquerquens just home from Iraq told me that where they were, 'rebuilding Iraq' isn't an accurate term. They were BUILDING it, from scratch. The town they worked in now has electricity and running water which they had not had before. They also said it was a rather heart warming experience.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 01:38 pm
Sofia wrote:
Carrying out emergency repairs to Iraq's water infrastructure
CARE Iraq's mobile workshop team provides an essential service

6 September 2003
[...]

It may be of interest that this is a quasi-follower-up to the previous CARE project, which run from October 2001 and until 2002:
Diyala Integrated Water Project

(Two similar projects were run by German relief organizations [from my home state] in 2000/1 .)

Foxfyre wrote:
The town they worked in now has electricity and running water which they had not had before.

Before .... when?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:05 pm
I'm interested as to what the two righties think I should apologize for? Walter's links re-inforce my statement, Iraq had a high standard of living prior to US intervention. You two are aware that the US embargo was the primary reason for the disintegration of the Iraqi infrastructure, yes?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:17 pm
Actually, to be fair, that was a UN embargo, was it not?
0 Replies

AmericanIcon

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:17 pm
Re: The results of the siege of Fallujah
hobitbob wrote:

How dare they not thank us for the wonderful things America has done for them! Crying or Very sad

hey lib, you dont think they deserved it after firing upon our troops? We should firebomb that region until nothing crawls!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:24 pm
And, if Saddam (and perhaps Chirac--who knows?)hadn't pocketed the Oil for Food proceeds, he could've repaired the water systems.

This was a Saddam mess, we bombed it, but we made it better than what it was.

The sanctions were for a reason.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:27 pm
Sofia wrote:
And, if Saddam (and perhaps Chirac--who knows?)hadn't pocketed the Oil for Food proceeds, he could've repaired the water systems.

That's nice.

Quote:
This was a Saddam mess, we bombed it, but we made it better than what it was.

If you change that to "we are attenpting to make it better than it was," I would agree.

Quote:
The sanctions were for a reason.

Perhaps.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:37 pm
walter wrote

Quote:
before when?

Before Saddam was toppled; before the U.S. military and civilian workers went in there to rebuild the infrastructure that had not worked for decades, if ever.

Bahgdad was in pretty good shape prior to the war. That was Saddam's capital and he made sure it looked good for his cronies and guests coming in there. Most of the towns out away from Baghdad, where nobody ever went but the Iraqis who lived there, were in bad shape.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 07:17 pm
hobitbob wrote:
I'm interested as to what the two righties think I should apologize for? Walter's links re-inforce my statement, Iraq had a high standard of living prior to US intervention. You two are aware that the US embargo was the primary reason for the disintegration of the Iraqi infrastructure, yes?

You're kidding with this, right?!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 10:39 pm
Re: The results of the siege of Fallujah
AmericanIcon wrote:

hey lib, you dont think they deserved it after firing upon our troops? We should firebomb that region until nothing crawls!!!!!!!

Right, that would solve the problem with thise kidnapped damned foreigners as well simultaniously.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 02:36 am
This would be a serious response - firebomb the region until nothing crawls? Hmmm - so - a reasonable response FROM them to coalition invasion would be firebombing an Australian, British or American city until "nothing crawls"?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 01:59 pm
AmericanIcon is still new. He hasn't learned yet that saying inflammatory things just to be an a-hole doesn't work.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 04:58 pm
I heard someone enraged earlier today because they fired on our troops, and I got angry. I mean, if iraqis were in our country, overthrowing our government, I would go fire on them myself. Our troops deserved to be fired upon.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:03 pm
SCoates wrote:
I heard someone enraged earlier today because they fired on our troops, and I got angry. I mean, if iraqis were in our country, overthrowing our government, I would go fire on them myself. Our troops deserved to be fired upon.

I have seen some stupid comments on this board, and this one ranks right up there at the top.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:23 pm
They had every right to fire upon us, and I would like to hear you pretend otherwise.
0 Replies