What's the chance of Ted Cruz becoming president?

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:23 pm
Republicans favor Cruz by a big majority whether there is in-fighting in the party. Cruz is looking forward to the 2016 presidential run, and almost anything can happen between now and then.

Two questions:

What's Cruz's chance of winning the republican nomination?

What's Cruz's chance of becoming president?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 30 • Views: 38,142 • Replies: 704
Topic Closed

maxdancona

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Ted Cruz has zero chance of becoming president.

He has a chance to become the Republican nomination though. I am rooting for him.
jcboy

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 07:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
He has about as much chance of becoming President as I do moving to Canada, it's not going to happen.
cicerone imposter

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:32 pm
@jcboy,
Well, there are some very glaring contradiction in our electorate. Only 12% give congress a positive rating, and 85% as bad.

Is Ted Cruz a member of congress? He has the majority of republicans who support him.

How does this math work? I'm a bit confused!
0 Replies

Advocate

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:55 pm
Isn't he precluded from becoming president because he is not native born. He was born in Canada.
Bentinie

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

What's Cruz's chance of becoming president?

None! The radical right support him but their number has significantly eroded even tho they never were in the majority they have influence. Cruz is such a hateful polarizing figure that the normal conservatives hate his guts. The teaparty might prop him up giving him the nomination but he won't go anywhere at least not in these united states. Maybe Cuba where he has roots or Canada where he was born. Ted Cruz is anathema for the Republican Party who has seen its lowest ratings since the beginning of polling of any group. Only the teaparty polls lower.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:03 pm
I see him being a potent force in some quarters, but I cannot believe he has enough appeal to get nominated. Of course, I never thought GW Bush could become Governor of Texas and then President, so there you are.
Bentinie

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:03 pm
@Advocate,
Quote:
Isn't he precluded from becoming president because he is not native born. He was born in Canada.

Cruz's mother was born here making him an American citizen. He is also has dual citizenship with Cuba because that's where his papa was born.
Bentinie

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I see him being a potent force in some quarters, but I cannot believe he has enough appeal to get nominated. Of course, I never thought GW Bush could become Governor of Texas and then President, so there you are.

People can work wonders with a little political maneuvering and someone like James Baker's skill. GW Bush was never as reviled as Ted Cruz and Mr. Cruz would have to have at least some outside the teaparty to like him a little bit, but I think such an achievement would be impossible.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:20 pm
The media will be much more kindly to Cruz than any Democrats will. That fact gives Cruz a false credibility with some people.
cicerone imposter

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm sitting in the same chair you are! I'm not writing off Ted Cruz, because of what happened with GW Bush. Anything is possible in this country - even the support of a congressman who threatened to shut down our government that laid off 800,000 government workers in his attempt to repeal ObamaCare - which is already the law of the land.

There's no rhyme nor reason why Cruz should have any chance, but I wouldn't bet on it. The majority of republicans already support him.

On top of all that, the American electorate is pretty dumb. We voted GW Bush in twice!

TNCFS
Bentinie

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The media will be much more kindly to Cruz than any Democrats will. That fact gives Cruz a false credibility with some people.

The only media being kindly towards Cruz is FAUX News. Outside FOX the rest of the media is savaging this demigod.
Bentinie

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The majority of republicans already support him

That's not true. The vast number of non-teaparty Republicans loathed Ted Cruz. I will say this they are afraid of him but inside that voting booth they are not afraid to say no Ted Cruz.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:42 pm
@Bentinie,
You will see, as the months roll on to the next election cycle.
Bentinie

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 09:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:

You will see, as the months roll on to the next election cycle.

With Ted Cruz's poll number at 14% that must be some miracle to look forward to. Cruz said yesterday he would do it again, shut down the government and not stop at the debt ceiling. Alright, let him shut down the government again, like cement his hated acts permanently in the minds of the citizens of the US. He would only be doing the Dems a favor.
cicerone imposter

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 10:09 pm
@Bentinie,
You give Americans too much credit. There are extremists who believe in Cruz and will support him till the end. That Cruz is responsible for the loss of jobs and income for all those government workers that were furloughed does not matter one iota.

Didn't you see what happened with Cruz and the Tea Party during the last crisis? The regular republicans were dumbfounded and lost; they couldn't get anything done. Cruz's 14% is more impressive than that number represents.

He ran over the republican party, and he'll probably do it again and again and again....

0 Replies

Sturgis

Tue 22 Oct, 2013 10:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It will depend largely on who is put up against him if he opts to run in 2016. Let us look back in time and ask if anybody really saw George W. Bush as a serious contender against Al Gore, or anybody.

Bottom line is people are quite strange, especially when it comes down to who they choose to elect and I rule out nothing.
cicerone imposter

Wed 23 Oct, 2013 04:56 am
@Sturgis,
Unfortunately, in my eyes, any halfwit will be much better than Cruz The Destroyer. This guy has no qualms about hurting people's income and livelihood, and that's not limited to the US.

Media people keep telling us Cruz in intelligent; why can't they see how destructive he is to our country's politics and economy?

He's worse than the Taliban leader; he does it from the inside.

BTW, I'm leaving Wednesday, Oct 23, to Europe, and will be gone for two weeks. I'll try to log on with my tablet, but I understand that wifi will not be too reliable on the boat.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 23 Oct, 2013 06:45 am
They have to be susceptible to ridicule before the public counts them out. Perry made some ridiculous statements and was ribbed out of the race. Cruz so far makes people be serious.
0 Replies

Advocate

Wed 23 Oct, 2013 10:06 am
Relative to Cruz, I keep thinking of the line by H. L. Mencken: No one ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public.