Failed to understand " The grandest of these ideals is an American promise that everyone belongs"

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 03:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Lordyaswas wrote:

..........."I was enjoying our dialog in the O tolerance policy thread.
I hope u will return to it."

Nah, when it comes to guns, you're an idiot who will never change his mind. . . .
If I were an idiot, then I 'd not be able to type, nor to read.
I will not change my mind because I am right.
U have surrendered because u cannot disprove what is correct,
however much u yearn to do so. Good sportsmanship requires that u ADMIT IT.
David

Any person who thinks about and glorifies guns most of the time, is either shooting his mouth off in the false hope that he will appear manly, like Oral Roy, has a serious ocd or fetish problem, or is an idiot.

Take your pick.

You can goad and lure all you like, but the vast majority here see you as having a problem. I'll not waste any more time on you and your hard on with guns, little piggy.
oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 04:07 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
Any person who thinks about and glorifies guns most of the time, is either shooting his mouth off in the false hope that he will appear manly, like Oral Roy, has a serious ocd or fetish problem, or is an idiot.

You Freedom Haters shouldn't rely so much on bigoted stereotypes. It merely illustrates your bitterness towards those of us who refuse to surrender our freedom.

Lordyaswas wrote:
You can goad and lure all you like, but the vast majority here see you as having a problem.

While I am unsure of percentages of posters, the only ones who will see him as having a problem are those who dislike America's freedom and wish that America would become unfree.

Such people are often bitter that the American people insist on remaining unapologetically free.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 05:07 am
@Lordyaswas,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
..........."I was enjoying our dialog in the O tolerance policy thread.
I hope u will return to it."

Lordyaswas wrote:
when it comes to guns, you're an idiot who will never change his mind. . . .
DAVID wrote:
If I were an idiot, then I 'd not be able to type, nor to read.
I will not change my mind because I am right.
U have surrendered because u cannot disprove what is correct,
however much u yearn to do so. Good sportsmanship requires that u ADMIT IT.
David
Lordyaswas wrote:

Any person who thinks about and glorifies guns most of the time,
is either shooting his mouth off in the false hope that he will appear manly,
No. It does not work that way; guns make u safer,
better able to control a defensive emergency,
but thay do not make u appear manly;
(unless the ladies disagree, I dunno; their judgment).

Lordyaswas wrote:
Oral Roy, has a serious ocd or fetish problem,
There is no indication of any "problem"; not for him, anyway.
I suspect that YOU may have a cowardly fear of guns,
but we dont know that for sure yet.

Lordyaswas wrote:
is an idiot.
Idiots cannot read or write.
This is the second time that it has been necessary for u to be so informed.
Perhaps this is beyond your ability to comprehend.

Lordyaswas wrote:
Take your pick.
My pick is that u have relinquished reason
in favor of semi-hysterical chaotic emotion.
I wonder whether u fear guns; whether u fear freedom. Some folks do.
I respect your right to flee.

David
McTag

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 01:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,

Americans (some of them) want everyone to be able to keep and bear arms because they are afraid of gunfire.

Idiotic, isn't it?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 01:31 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Americans (some of them) want everyone to be able to keep and bear arms because they are afraid of gunfire.

Idiotic, isn't it?
I am not afraid of gunfire.
When someone shot at me, I found it mildly humorous,
vindicating Winston Churchill.

Government has NO AUTHORITY to rob me of my guns.
When government was created in this Republic,
it was subject to that limitation and a few others.

In any case, I want my fellow citizens all to be armed to the teeth.
U r right about that. Some of them have been trained
in competent gun handling since before their first day in school.
( I was not so fortunate. I had no access to guns before age 8. )

David
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 07:46 am
DAVID wrote:
He was fighting to prevent the withdrawal of a large block of States from the USA. He said so.

Oh Dave, are you telling us that Lincoln had CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY to say/define he was fighting to prevent the withdrawal of a large block of States from the USA, yet he didn't have the CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY to redefine it as a struggle not just for the Union, but also for the principle of human equality?
So you'd first show us the premise of your argument based on the Article II of the Constitution.

Oristar wrote:
Quote:
Lincoln also redefined the Civil War as a struggle not just for the Union, but also for the principle of human equality.

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Did he have CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY[/b] to do that, Oristar??
I don't believe that he did. If u disagree, then please cite to any part of Article II of the Constitution to obtain a definition of his power that supports your allegations. I look forward to seeing that.
oristarA

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 08:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I re-iterate: from the Big Bang until now,
no 2 men have ever been created equal (not even identical twins);
no matter WHAT Lincoln said. Differences however small
have existed between them, tho thay have also been alike in some aspects.

David

I could not have imagined that your point of view could be so childish, Dave.

Equality of opportunity, equality before the law, equality of CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS... that is:all men are created equal. Is it enough for you now?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 09:07 am
@oristarA,
DAVID wrote:
He was fighting to prevent the withdrawal of a large block of States from the USA. He said so.
oristarA wrote:

Oh Dave, are you telling us that Lincoln had CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY to say/define he was fighting to prevent the withdrawal of a large block of States from the USA, yet he didn't have the CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY to redefine it as a struggle not just for the Union, but also for the principle of human equality?
No. If u phrase it that way, then u push me
to admit that I have no confidence whatsoever that the federal
government had any jurisdiction to invade the South
to extort membership in its union. Indeed, Northern States,
(e.g., New York) had ratified the Constitution in the first place
only on condition that thay retained the right to withdraw,
if that made them happy; (see NY Instrument of Ratification,
National Archives). The Southern States were also protected
by the principle of the 1Oth Amendment of the Bill of Rights.
When the Southern States ratified, thay were not intentionally
trapped, against their will; (the same as we have the right
to withdraw from NATO or from the UN now).

Anyway, the powers of the President are set forth in
Article II of the Constitution. I did not see the power
that u allege Lincoln to have in Article II.
If u disagree, then will u please cite to the applicable
sections of Article II
that authorized him to compel
States to be members of the Union against their will
or to force equality among humans??

oristarA wrote:
you'd first show us the premise of your argument based on the Article II of the Constitution.
No one can prove a negative.
I maintain that there is nothing in Article II, to that effect.

Oristar wrote:
Quote:
Lincoln also redefined the Civil War as a struggle not just for the Union, but also for the principle of human equality.
Without the 13th Amendment??
It had not yet been enacted.

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Did he have CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY to do that, Oristar??
I don't believe that he did.
If u disagree, then please cite to any part of Article II of the Constitution
to obtain a definition of his power that supports your allegations.
I look forward to seeing that.
I still look forward to your doing that, if u can, Oristar.
I dont believe that u can.

David
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 11:24 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
I could not have imagined that your point of view could be so childish, Dave.

You obviously don't know Dave, Ori.

Smile
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 12:30 pm
I reaslly don't give a rat's ass whether David thinks Lincoln had authority to go to war against the Confederacy or not. Lincoln did the right thing. He was acting as commander in chief of the armed forces of the US to put down insurrection, rather like George Washington acted to put down Shay's Rebellion. Simply because it was on a larger scale doesn't make it less insurrection. The question of whether or not a state could secede or not was one of those ones which roiled the 19th century rpeatedly, with constitutional arguments on both sides. Lincoln settled it decisively. Think of it as a contract. Once signed, youj can't back out of it simply because it displeases you. It's a little late to try to restore the Confederacy, David.
JTT

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 02:02 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Think of it as a contract. Once signed, youj can't back out of it simply because it displeases you. It's a little late to try to restore the Confederacy, David.

What you're saying, MJ, is that the US is an illegitimate entity, born of insurrection and terrorism.

Quote:
Lincoln did the right thing. He was acting as commander in chief of the armed forces of the US to put down insurrection, rather like George Washington acted to put down Shay's Rebellion.

Lincoln used the slaves as his pawn to prevent the South from engaging in free trade. The US is famous for using people, killing people, torturing people, murdering children, preventing people from having freedom and democracy just to satisfy the US's greedy, rapacious ends.

Quote:
Lincoln settled it decisively.

Lincoln settled it like the US "settles" anything, by raping, torturing, and murdering. Wouldn't it be nice if the US actually acted in the fashion that is described by the propaganda?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 05:20 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
I reaslly don't give a rat's ass whether David thinks Lincoln had authority to go to war
against the Confederacy or not. Lincoln did the right thing.
That 's a lie. U do, enuf to COMMENT on it.
If u really did not, then u 'd have ignored it, the same way
that I dont comment on scores of ball games; I have no interest in who wins.

MontereyJack wrote:
He was acting as commander in chief of the armed forces of the US to put down insurrection,
rather like George Washington acted to put down Shay's Rebellion.
Jeff Davis was in the role of George Washington.
Lincoln was in the role of defending the Monarchy.
Lincoln violated his oath to support the Constitution.
Among other things, he USURPED the power to violate
habeas corpus; i.e., he was a cheater.

MontereyJack wrote:
Simply because it was on a larger scale doesn't make it less insurrection.
Under the federal concept, those States were jointly sovereign.
Thay had a right to leave, not to remain trapped against their will.
Thay did not sign to THAT, and thay said so. (See e.g., New York Instrument of Ratification of the US Constitution.)

MontereyJack wrote:
The question of whether or not a state could secede or not
was one of those ones which roiled the 19th century rpeatedly,
with constitutional arguments on both sides.

Now here we see Jack employing some rhetorical trickery
(presumably hoping that we will be too dum to detect it).
He silently assumes that accurate Constitutional analysis
will result in military conquest; i.e., that "might makes right".

By that reasoning, the Workers' Paradise and the 1OOO Year Reich
were RIGHT when thay invaded n defeated Poland in 1939.
By that principle of reasoning, the Confederacy woud have been right,
in Jack's eyes, if only it had invented nukes before the Union did.

MontereyJack wrote:
Think of it as a contract.
OK. We can do that.

MontereyJack wrote:
Once signed, youj can't back out of it simply because it displeases you.
That depends on what the contract says, Jack. Dont u already know that??
Have we sacrificed and relinquished the right to withdraw
from NATO, or the Organization of American States, or the UN?
Have I forfeited my right to quit the Book of the Month Club??
I don't think so.
In the fullness of good faith, if I were an objective, impartial judge
of those 2 sides of the question of legitimacy of leaving the Union,
the same as we left the English Empire, I 'd hold in favor
of the right to leave, in contemplation of the 1Oth Amendment
and of what the parties said at the time of executing the contract.
I believe that an honest interpretation requires that result.

MontereyJack wrote:
It's a little late to try to restore the Confederacy, David.
Here we see additional rhetorical slight-of-hand by Jack
in that he tacitly implies that I was taking steps to restore the CSA.
I dont choose (by silence) to avoid recognition of error
that occurred in America 's past. We r free to analyze it and to consider it in social conversation.

David
oristarA

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2013 05:30 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Lincoln used the slaves as his pawn to prevent the South from engaging in free trade. The US is famous for using people, killing people, torturing people, murdering children, preventing people from having freedom and democracy just to satisfy the US's greedy, rapacious ends.

In that case, there wouldn't have been the emancipation of American blacks, JTT. The mission had completed and the slaves should come back to their toils for Lincolns.
But facts speak louder than eloquence. There is no slave in today's USA. It is a strong rebuttal against your argument.
oristarA

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2013 06:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

MontereyJack wrote:
The question of whether or not a state could secede or not
was one of those ones which roiled the 19th century rpeatedly,
with constitutional arguments on both sides.

Now here we see Jack employing some rhetorical trickery (presumably hoping that we will be too dum to detect it). He silently assumes that accurate Constitutional analysis will result in military conquest; i.e., that "might makes right".By that reasoning, the Workers' Paradise and the 1OOO Year Reich
were RIGHT when thay invaded n defeated Poland in 1939.
By that principle of reasoning, the Confederacy woud have been right,
in Jack's eyes, if only it had invented nukes before the Union did.

David

I'd like to see how Jack fires back at Dave.
Go ahead, Jack.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2013 07:10 pm
Please read this, Dave:

Quote:

The American Civil War, also known as the War Between the States or simply the Civil War (see naming), was a civil war fought from 1861 to 1865 in the United States after several[3] Southern slave states declared their secession and formed the Confederate States of America (the "Confederacy" or the "South"). The states that remained were known as the "Union" or the "North". The war had its origin in the fractious issue of slavery, especially the extension of slavery into the western territories.[4] Foreign powers did not intervene. After four years of bloody combat that left over 600,000 soldiers dead and destroyed much of the South's infrastructure, the Confederacy collapsed, slavery was abolished, and the difficult Reconstruction process of restoring national unity and guaranteeing rights to the freed slaves began.

In the 1860 presidential election, Republicans, led by Abraham Lincoln, opposed the expansion of slavery into United States' territories. Lincoln won, but before his inauguration on March 4, 1861, seven slave states with cotton-based economies formed the Confederacy. Outgoing Democratic President James Buchanan and the incoming Republicans rejected secession as illegal. Lincoln's inaugural address declared his administration would not initiate civil war. Eight remaining slave states continued to reject calls for secession. Confederate forces seized numerous federal forts within territory claimed by the Confederacy. A peace conference failed to find a compromise, and both sides prepared for war. The Confederates assumed that European countries were so dependent on "King Cotton" that they would intervene; none did and none recognized the new Confederate States of America.

Hostilities began on April 12, 1861, when Confederate forces fired upon Fort Sumter, a key fort held by Union troops in South Carolina. Lincoln called for each state to provide troops to retake the fort; consequently, four more slave states joined the Confederacy, bringing their total to eleven. The Union soon controlled the border states and established a naval blockade that crippled the southern economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

It is a lie that the son of a slave is born to be a slave, while the son of a slaveowner is born to be an owner. They are born to be equal. It is a true voice in the deep heart of humanity; it is a song that rings from sea to shining sea.
JTT

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2013 08:37 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
In that case, there wouldn't have been the emancipation of American blacks, JTT. The mission had completed and the slaves should come back to their toils for Lincolns.

The emancipation of slaves was done to break the South. It was a propaganda ploy used by the North.

Quote:
But facts speak louder than words [eloquence]. There is no slave in today's USA. It is a strong rebuttal against your argument.

The vicious manner in which Blacks were treated for the next 100 plus years tells the story about how important emancipation was to Americans as a whole.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2013 12:28 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Please read this, Dave:

DAVID wrote:
I did so, Oristar. David

Quote:

The American Civil War, also known as the War Between the States or simply the Civil War (see naming), was a civil war fought from 1861 to 1865 in the United States after several[3] Southern slave states declared their secession and formed the Confederate States of America (the "Confederacy" or the "South"). The states that remained were known as the "Union" or the "North". The war had its origin in the fractious issue of slavery, especially the extension of slavery into the western territories.[4]
DAVID wrote:
More to the specific point, the war resulted from the secession
of the Southern States from the Union
If not, then Y wait until thay withdrew??

Do u advocate the point of view that if non-slaveholding States
had left the Union, then Lincoln woud have cheerfully let them go in peace???
Their can be NO room for doubt that slavery gave rise to very intense
emotion
s
on both sides of the war, but that war was to prevent the
loss of territory. Do u allege that if the South had remained in the Union,
then the North still woud have militarily invaded to liberate the slaves??
Is there evidence of that??

Quote:
Foreign powers did not intervene. After four years of bloody combat that left over 600,000 soldiers dead and destroyed much of the South's infrastructure, the Confederacy collapsed, slavery was abolished, and the difficult Reconstruction process of restoring national unity and guaranteeing rights to the freed slaves began.

In the 1860 presidential election, Republicans, led by Abraham Lincoln, opposed the expansion of slavery into United States' territories. Lincoln won, but before his inauguration on March 4, 1861, seven slave states with cotton-based economies formed the Confederacy. Outgoing Democratic President James Buchanan and the incoming Republicans rejected secession as illegal. Lincoln's inaugural address declared his administration would not initiate civil war. Eight remaining slave states continued to reject calls for secession. Confederate forces seized numerous federal forts within territory claimed by the Confederacy. A peace conference failed to find a compromise, and both sides prepared for war. The Confederates assumed that European countries were so dependent on "King Cotton" that they would intervene; none did and none recognized the new Confederate States of America.

Hostilities began on April 12, 1861, when Confederate forces fired upon Fort Sumter, a key fort held by Union troops in South Carolina. Lincoln called for each state to provide troops to retake the fort; consequently, four more slave states joined the Confederacy, bringing their total to eleven. The Union soon controlled the border states and established a naval blockade that crippled the southern economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

Oristar wrote:
It is a lie that the son of a slave is born to be a slave, while the son of a slaveowner
is born to be an owner. They are born to be equal.
It is a true voice in the deep heart of humanity; it is a song that rings from sea to shining sea.
Oristar, are u applying metaphysical arguments to political philosophy?
Can your arguments be proven by objective evidence?
I am not alleging that u r correct or not; just analyzing your arguments.

David
oristarA

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:06 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:

The emancipation of slaves was done to break the South. It was a propaganda ploy used by the North.

Quote:
But facts speak louder than words [eloquence]. There is no slave in today's USA. It is a strong rebuttal against your argument.

The vicious manner in which Blacks were treated for the next 100 plus years tells the story about how important emancipation was to Americans as a whole.

Well, it had to have a start. Nothing is perfect. Do you think slavery must be kept intact, JTT?

Obviously. second proclamation of emancipation was required. Lyndon B. Johnson expressed this very well:

Quote:
As Vice President while speaking from Gettysburg on May 30, 1963 (Memorial Day), at the centennial of the Emancipation Proclamation, Johnson connected it directly with the ongoing Civil Rights struggles of the time saying "One hundred years ago, the slave was freed. One hundred years later, the Negro remains in bondage to the color of his skin. ...In this hour, it is not our respective races which are at stake--it is our nation. Let those who care for their country come forward, North and South, white and Negro, to lead the way through this moment of challenge and decision....Until justice is blind to color, until education is unaware of race, until opportunity is unconcerned with color of men's skins, emancipation will be a proclamation but not a fact. To the extent that the proclamation of emancipation is not fulfilled in fact, to that extent we shall have fallen short of assuring freedom to the free."[82]
JTT

Reply Tue 22 Oct, 2013 08:35 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
As Vice President while speaking from Gettysburg on May 30, 1963 (Memorial Day), at the centennial of the Emancipation Proclamation, Johnson connected it directly with the ongoing Civil Rights struggles

More silly propaganda, Ori. Johnson would go on to murder hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese, you know the same "all men are created equal" people. It's simple claptrap meant to hide the fact that the US is the greediest most rapacious nation on the planet.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 23 Oct, 2013 12:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

More to the specific point, the war resulted from the secession
of the Southern States from the Union.
If not, then Y wait until thay withdrew??

Do u advocate the point of view that if non-slaveholding States
had left the Union, then Lincoln woud have cheerfully let them go in peace???
Their can be NO room for doubt that slavery gave rise to very intense
emotions on both sides of the war, but that war was to prevent the
loss of territory. Do u allege that if the South had remained in the Union,
then the North still woud have militarily invaded to liberate the slaves??
Is there evidence of that??

David

Please consider, Dave, two issues:

(1) How to establish and maintain a country?
(2) Should slavery be remained intact?

For (1):

Quote:
I hold that in contemplation of universal law and of the Constitution the Union of these States is perpetual. Perpetuity is implied, if not expressed, in the fundamental law of all national governments. It is safe to assert that no government proper ever had a provision in its organic law for its own termination. Continue to execute all the express provisions of our National Constitution, and the Union will endure forever, it being impossible to destroy it except by some action not provided for in the instrument itself. 12
Again: If the United States be not a government proper, but an association of States in the nature of contract merely, can it, as a contract, be peaceably unmade by less than all the parties who made it? One party to a contract may violate it—break it, so to speak—but does it not require all to lawfully rescind it? 13
Descending from these general principles, we find the proposition that in legal contemplation the Union is perpetual confirmed by the history of the Union itself. The Union is much older than the Constitution. It was formed, in fact, by the Articles of Association in 1774. It was matured and continued by the Declaration of Independence in 1776. It was further matured, and the faith of all the then thirteen States expressly plighted and engaged that it should be perpetual, by the Articles of Confederation in 1778. And finally, in 1787, one of the declared objects for ordaining and establishing the Constitution was "to form a more perfect Union." 14
But if destruction of the Union by one or by a part only of the States be lawfully possible, the Union is less perfect than before the Constitution, having lost the vital element of perpetuity. 15
It follows from these views that no State upon its own mere motion can lawfully get out of the Union; that resolves and ordinances to that effect are legally void, and that acts of violence within any State or States against the authority of the United States are insurrectionary or revolutionary, according to circumstances.
---Lincoln

Quote:
All profess to be content in the Union if all constitutional rights can be maintained. Is it true, then, that any right plainly written in the Constitution has been denied? I think not. Happily, the human mind is so constituted that no party can reach to the audacity of doing this. Think, if you can, of a single instance in which a plainly written provision of the Constitution has ever been denied. If by the mere force of numbers a majority should deprive a minority of any clearly written constitutional right, it might in a moral point of view justify revolution; certainly would if such right were a vital one. But such is not our case. All the vital rights of minorities and of individuals are so plainly assured to them by affirmations and negations, guaranties and prohibitions, in the Constitution that controversies never arise concerning them. But no organic law can ever be framed with a provision specifically applicable to every question which may occur in practical administration. No foresight can anticipate nor any document of reasonable length contain express provisions for all possible questions. Shall fugitives from labor be surrendered by national or by State authority? The Constitution does not expressly say. May Congress prohibit slavery in the Territories? The Constitution does not expressly say. Must Congress protect slavery in the Territories? The Constitution does not expressly say. 22
From questions of this class spring all our constitutional controversies, and we divide upon them into majorities and minorities. If the minority will not acquiesce, the majority must, or the Government must cease. There is no other alternative, for continuing the Government is acquiescence on one side or the other. If a minority in such case will secede rather than acquiesce, they make a precedent which in turn will divide and ruin them, for a minority of their own will secede from them whenever a majority refuses to be controlled by such minority. For instance, why may not any portion of a new confederacy a year or two hence arbitrarily secede again, precisely as portions of the present Union now claim to secede from it? All who cherish disunion sentiments are now being educated to the exact temper of doing this.

For (2):

Will you deny the possibility that slavery can be one of the major sources of social unrest, Dave?

We all want peace, and genuine peace should be rooted in the good understanding of fundamental truths - Thomas Jefferson put it very well: "All men are created equal..."
If you diagreed such constitutional ideas, will you diagree the conclusions of modern science, especially of modern genetics about evolutionary biology, which have pointed out the humble origin of human race? It is very reasonable to think that all men are born to be equal.
Seeing in this light, every slave could be a self-emancipator. Lincoln was neither an abolitionist nor the Great Emancipator, "but he was also a man of deep convictions when it came to slavery, and during the Civil War displayed a remarkable capacity for moral and political growth"(Eric Foner).