Failed to understand " The grandest of these ideals is an American promise that everyone belongs"

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 06:25 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:

This quote is from George W. Bush's first inaugural address.

You do have a big mouth. Cool
It can be fun to USE it.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 06:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

oristarA wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

oristarA wrote:
". . . The grandest of these ideals is an unfolding American promise that everyone belongs, that everyone deserves a chance, that no insignificant person was ever born. . . ."
This assertion is facially ridiculous and non-viable;
e.g., if an insignificant person was born in Spain in 1431,
then the alleged American "promise" was violated.
The USA did not even exist back then.

If I were able to, I 'd challenge that charlatan face-to-face.

David

Sorry Dave, I doubt that you will have the courage to challenge the speaker face-to-face.
Are you serious or are you kidding or bragging?
O, no. Since and during childhood, I was frequently
challenging teachers in school, or lecturers anywhere,
if their presentations had flaws or questionable aspects.
It has always come naturally to me, like a duck to water.
That 's not bragging. No courage has proven to be necessary,
just a big mouth.

For instance, qua the exhibited question of alleged American promises,
I 'd lay my ax at the root of his assertion by challenging him
to tell me WHERE I can find these alleged promises
and WHICH authority stands behind them, demanding
that he tell us when, where and under what circumstances
those alleged promises were forthcoming and demanding
to know WHAT AUTHORITY the alleged promisor had to commit me to ANYTHING.

Its not hard; just nail him down qua the specifics of his allegations
and publicly shame him for his lies. Historically and legally, I know
that he has no foundation for his assertions; just his imagination.
Trial lawyers (from whose profession I have retired)
do that all the time. That is what forensic cross-
examination is for. There is nothing new about it.

David

American Promise: "When we see that wounded traveler on the road to Jericho, we will not pass to the other side."

David:"I will pass to the other side! Am I illegal?"

Yes Dave you're legal, but you're heartless. That is why there is a reason that American Promise must exist.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 07:01 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

oristarA wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

oristarA wrote:
". . . The grandest of these ideals is an unfolding American promise that everyone belongs, that everyone deserves a chance, that no insignificant person was ever born. . . ."
This assertion is facially ridiculous and non-viable;
e.g., if an insignificant person was born in Spain in 1431,
then the alleged American "promise" was violated.
The USA did not even exist back then.

If I were able to, I 'd challenge that charlatan face-to-face.

David

Sorry Dave, I doubt that you will have the courage to challenge the speaker face-to-face.
Are you serious or are you kidding or bragging?
O, no. Since and during childhood, I was frequently
challenging teachers in school, or lecturers anywhere,
if their presentations had flaws or questionable aspects.
It has always come naturally to me, like a duck to water.
That 's not bragging. No courage has proven to be necessary,
just a big mouth.

For instance, qua the exhibited question of alleged American promises,
I 'd lay my ax at the root of his assertion by challenging him
to tell me WHERE I can find these alleged promises
and WHICH authority stands behind them, demanding
that he tell us when, where and under what circumstances
those alleged promises were forthcoming and demanding
to know WHAT AUTHORITY the alleged promisor had to commit me to ANYTHING.

Its not hard; just nail him down qua the specifics of his allegations
and publicly shame him for his lies. Historically and legally, I know
that he has no foundation for his assertions; just his imagination.
Trial lawyers (from whose profession I have retired)
do that all the time. That is what forensic cross-
examination is for. There is nothing new about it.

David

American Promise: "When we see that wounded traveler on the road to Jericho, we will not pass to the other side."

Yes Dave you're legal, but you're heartless. That is why there is a reason that American Promise must exist.

Regardless of whether I 'm heartless,
the allegation of such a promise was fraudulent,
in perpetration of a deceptive myth. No such promise
was ever made. NO American ever had authority
to commit us to its purported subject matter
That 'd be a lot like my stealing your check book
and writing out a check to whomever I select
and then forging your signature to it; the promise
of such a check is no good.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 08:20 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
American Promise: "When we see that wounded traveler on the road to Jericho,
we will not pass to the other side."

Yes Dave you're legal, but you're heartless.
That is why there is a reason that American Promise must exist.
Regardless of what putatively "must exist",
there remains a question qua the legitimacy of its jurisdictional predicate.

The difference between charity and robbery is freedom of volition.
I never consented to any such promise.

David
Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 09:14 am
In my opinion, the inverse explains the sentence better. That meaning that in America no one is an "outsider." In Europe and elsewhere certain groups have been assigned the designation as outsider. That might have precipitated genocide, or expulsion. There are no "outsiders" officially in the U.S., even though some of the less enlightened folk do like that term, and would like to bring it to our shores, so the U.S. can become a knock-off of a homeland that resides somewhere in a collective memory, perhaps.
contrex

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 10:17 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
That meaning that in America no one is an "outsider." In Europe and elsewhere certain groups have been assigned the designation as outsider.

What country is it where the words kike, sheeny, redskin, darky, jigaboo, spook, spade and gook come from?
contrex

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 10:17 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

In my opinion, the inverse explains the sentence better. That meaning that in America no one is an "outsider." In Europe and elsewhere certain groups have been assigned the designation as outsider. That might have precipitated genocide, or expulsion. There are no "outsiders" officially in the U.S., even though some of the less enlightened folk do like that term, and would like to bring it to our shores, so the U.S. can become a knock-off of a homeland that resides somewhere in a collective memory, perhaps.

You write a lot of crap.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 10:58 am
@contrex,
Foofie wrote:
That meaning that in America no one is an "outsider."
In Europe and elsewhere certain groups have been assigned the designation as outsider.
contrex wrote:
What country is it where the words kike, sheeny, redskin, darky, jigaboo, spook, spade and gook come from?
Thay are from a Land of FREEDOM of OPINION, and of FREEDOM of SPEECH.
That 's where.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 11:03 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
With all respect,
any non-citizen is an outsider.

David
contrex

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 12:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
That 's where.
David
[/quote]

Better to be a "jigaboo" in America, and ride at the back of the bus, than a citizen with his own Mercedes in Germany, then?

contrex

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 12:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
That 's where.

[/quote]

That's wonderful, I couldn't have put it better myself
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 12:28 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
DAVID wrote:
That 's where.

David
contrex wrote:
Better to be a "jigaboo" in America, and ride at the back of the bus,
than a citizen with his own Mercedes in Germany, then?
No. I cannot and will not support THAT notion, contrex.
Note that I pretend to no expertise on Germany
and that I have never been there.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 12:33 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
That 's where.

That's wonderful, I couldn't have put it better myself[/quote]

(Except for your screwing up the attributions of assertion in this
post), this might well be the first (and only?) time
that we agree on anything (other than your choice to use a run-on sentence).

David
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 03:54 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

I'd be most interested if you could expand on your remark 'In Europe and elsewhere certain groups have been assigned the designation as outsider.'
As a European, I have long suspected deep and fatal flaws in the way we have conducted ourselves throughout history. I must confess I am afraid to find out we have ostracized yet another minority on dubious grounds. But I feel it's important, in order to maintain some sense, no matter how little remains, of morality and a proper humble mindset, to know exactly in what way I, as an European, have misbehaved towards others in my society by casting them out. I'm delighted to know that you, as a proud American Citizen, can serve as a beacon and guidance for me in that regard. So please, please, tell me where we went wrong.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 04:11 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Foofie wrote:
That meaning that in America no one is an "outsider." In Europe and elsewhere certain groups have been assigned the designation as outsider.

That reflects the competition between different European ethnic groups, to be higher in a pecking order, that they themselves were not top dog, so to speak. However, my point is that "OFFICIALLY" there are no outsiders in America today. There are still those in Europe that think of the Arab or Turkish immigrants/guest workers as "outsiders." One does not hear that term used in polite conversation. I'm not saying that some folks don't use the word, but it is not officially sanctioned.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 04:12 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Foofie wrote:

You write a lot of crap.

Actually, it has gotten much admiration in its day.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 04:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Foofie wrote:
That meaning that in America no one is an "outsider."
In Europe and elsewhere certain groups have been assigned the designation as outsider.
contrex wrote:
That 's where.

David

The point being that the pejorative terms are not officially sanctioned as they might have been in other countries during different times in history. America is just so much better than Europe, and its ossified history, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 04:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Foofie wrote:
With all respect,

David

You're being a Philiadephia lawyer, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 04:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Foofie wrote:
With all respect,

David

You're being a Philadelphia lawyer, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Oct, 2013 04:42 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
That 's where.
David
Better to be a "jigaboo" in America, and ride at the back of the bus, than a citizen with his own Mercedes in Germany, then?

Please get out of your time machine. You might be thinking of the American South back in the 1950's? It is more than half a century later. The Jim Crow South ended with racial integration.
0 Replies