Obamacare... 'Affordable'???

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 10:44 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
In America, many individuals start College in mid-life. What's so strange about that JoefromCanada?

Nothing. Just asking, MillerQueenoftheGhetto.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 11:01 am
@Miller,
Here is a map of all developed countries, from which people want to emigrate to the USA because they don't like that universal health care is provided like in their home countries.

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpse73503e8.jpg
Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 11:23 am
That loon Miller really has a hard-on against Canada. I wonder what those evil hosers did to make her hate them so much.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 12:43 pm
@Miller,
Quote:

In America, many individuals start College in mid-life. What's so strange about that JoefromCanada?

It's more likely most Americans are returning to college after dropping out for one reason or another. Many Americans are returning to college to upgrade/enhance their skills with newer technology. The average American does not begin college at 30 unless they have been in the US military service and receiving benefits under the GI Bill for college and university education; sometimes after raising a small child, a parent might enroll at college at the age of 30 even 35 in order to improve their financial situation.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 03:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

more likely a regular member who created a different account because they dont want to attach such personal details to their regular avatar.

^^ This.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 03:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Here is a map of all developed countries, from which people want to emigrate to the USA because they don't like that universal health care is provided like in their home countries.

For the record, America's healthcare was in my "con" column when I weighed the pros and cons of emigrating here. It is in the "pro" column as I'm weighing the pros and cons of going back to Germany --- and I expect that Obamacare will turn it into "almost neutral".
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 04:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
more likely a regular member who created a different account because they dont want to attach such personal details to their regular avatar.

So what? Rudeness is rudeness, whether it's coming from a newbie or a veteran with a new account.
roger

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 04:46 pm
@Thomas,
True, but his (and my) issue is demanding all sorts of personal and financial information. The implication being that if we don't furnish it, we are somehow being dishonest.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:27 pm
@glitchgov,
How much does the hospital pay for her health insurance? You've only listed part of the cost.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:31 pm
@glitchgov,
Quote:
It's not that I don't want the insurance... it's just too much... either way. The difference now is it's going to be higher, maybe $5,000 or so a year AND it's now forced down our throats... we HAVE TO BUY IT or pay a fine.

This health care cost problem was not caused by the ACA. If you don't have insurance and go into the ER with a major problem, who pays? Before the ACA, you didn't and the hospital ate it and passed it on to the rest of us. That is why you pay a penalty for not buying health insurance.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:32 pm
@glitchgov,
glitchgov wrote:

When you add my deductibles and premiums they equal a little over 22% of $89,346.

Deductible is not part of the cost of insurance. It is a figure that specifies, in part, what the insurance company is going to pay you.

Quote:
In an insurance policy, the deductible is the amount of expenses that must be paid out of pocket before an insurer will pay any expenses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductible

Hope that helps. Wink
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:32 pm
@glitchgov,
Quote:
Where does it end?

That's a good question. Most developed countries have ended up with a single payer system.
0 Replies

glitchgov

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:35 pm
@roger,
I've been at work all day, so I didn't have a chance to respond. I am going to watch a movie with my wife (don't worry... it's only a $1.20 from Redbox... I'm not going to break the bank) so I'm not going to spend a bunch of time here.

I tried to be nice. I tried, but you guys keep poking... like someone would at a bear. You guys are something else. If someone doesn't love your stupid Obama... you get all bent out of shape.

Here's what I'm going to say to the loose cannons and big mouths that have been yapping away.

I didn't come on here first and start the insults. The insults started flying at me... right from the get-go with 'I hate shills... they are dispicible.' Here... let me give you a news flash... not everyone likes Obama. Thus, we don't have to be paid to say something that goes against what he stands for.

You guys have been accusing me from the very begining. You keep saying I'm someone that's here with a different agenda other than being upset about my situation. Here's what I want to tell you... how in the world can you guys be so damn dumb and/or hard-headed to be so convinced that anyone could POSSIBLY be upset because they have to pay up to $42,000 in taxes and insurance premiums and deductibles BEFORE one stinking dollar is paid for any health insurance bills.

Yeah... keep telling yourself that I should feel great paying $42,000 in fees when many of you who are making less are paying NO TAX... or very little... and will be getting your insurance for FREE or next to free. You know... the 6 out of 10 Americans that will get their insurance for less than the cost of a cell phone bill. Don't I wish.

Then you have people on here suggesting that I should get rid of every extra I have (cable/internet/cell phones/newer cars)... come home and sit in the dark without AC or heat on all so I can subscribe and try and afford healthcare you're going to get for nothing. Yeah, I know plenty of people that are paying no federal taxes (known in your world as 47 percenters... or your family) will be getting free healthcare and yet somehow have enough money to buy cable, internet, cell phones and newer cars.. because they don't have the bills I have.

I was in the military for 10 years... then I went back to college at 30.... it wasn't easy. I worked hard to get to where I am and have a business. What sense does it make that the life I worked so hard to get is made harder because things are being taken away from me and/or given to people that didn't put forth the effort I did?

I'm so tired of this whole entitlement crowd... you make me sick. Look in the mirror... you're a big part of the reason why we are 17 trillion in debt. Yeah, yeah... we know about the wars... we know about that 2 trillion. We all know about Bush and him not being good. The funny thing is... we can admit Bush wasn't any good... but you guys are amazing... you can't admit that Obama isn't any good either. How can you be so blind. His first term wasn't very good... some thing it was horrible. Well, I don't know how you can debate for a second that the first nine months of this 2nd term has been anything but a disaster... one scandal after another.

Flat out... I don't appreciate that I will have to pay about $20,000 in healthcare before any other money is even paid out. If you can't understand that, then you must have been dropped on your head multiple times, because it's a pretty easy concept.

I like when liberals talk about Obama's 2nd term like they won something... we beat you. No... you beat the American dream... or what it use to be. It's not suppose to be.. Hey, I want everything for free, but that's what many of you are. You're entitled to everything. Free housing... food... healthcare... childcare... cell phones... 'earned' income tax credits.... what don't you get free? Cable?? Or is that free too? Obama won a 2nd term because the minorities voted for him at a very high rate. African Americans voted for him at an incredible and unbelievable (especially how poor his 1st term was) 93% clip. IF out of the 45 million or so blacks that live in America... 10 million voted, that would give Obama a 9.3 million vote to .7 million vote 'edge' against Romney. That right there is an 8.6 million vote lead... he only won by 3 or 4 million. Then you have the Hispanic voters that didn't want to lose their freebies Obama was promising and Romney said he would end. Hispanic voters voted for Obama in the high 70's... 76... 77??? All I know is the minorities put him back in office for all the wrong reasons... because he's black (and their black) and because he's president of the freebie train. The same train that's sinking lower and lower as we go further and further into debt. You guys voted for him for one reason and one reason only... you're thinking of the here and now and thinking about only yourselves.

Respond if you want, but I'm not even going to even give you the pleasure at trying to dig at me with your delusions. You really are a bunch of hard-headed dumb-dumbs.

One last thing... I have never been to this site and I won't come back. You guys are a joke... like Chicken Little coming up with all these theories as to who I could possibly be. I know... maybe it's an inside job. Maybe I'm one of the moderators and I'm plotting to exact my revenge on all you liberals. I've never BEEN on the site. I'm NOT a shill. Why would I have to be??? Stupid people. You guys have no common sense and have been brain-washed since birth. You have no ability to think things through... only go with raw emotion.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:41 pm
@glitchgov,
Quote:
Let's get something straight, we aren't all benefiting from it.

Did you expect Obamacare to provide you with cheap or free health care? The problem with health care costs is a health care problem, not Obama's fault. If you decide not to buy insurance, you are part of the problem. We had a major health care problem back in 2006 when this all started.

I am retired and my wife is nearing retirement. We pay quite a bit a month for health insurance. Fortunately, we are in her employers health plan. We've both paid a lot of taxes over the years. I consider us a middle class family. My wife was in the hospital a couple years and the bill was over $250K. We paid $20K of it. Over $10K a day. I didn't complain, they saved her life.

This is all definitely a cost problem. We had a free market solution 5 years ago. It was worse. I think a single payer system (govt) is the right solution.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:43 pm
@glitchgov,
glitchgov wrote:

And ehBeth...

Interestingly enough, the people with your stance are all too often getting their coverage for free or nearly free.

interestingly enough, you're wrong

~~~

you also make interesting assumptions about people at lower income levels - they're not all poorly educated. Many Americans with excellent educations are unemployed and underemployed.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:46 pm
One last comment, glitchgov. Why don't you just find a job with an employer that provides health care?

Quote:
because he's black (and their black) and because he's president of the freebie train.

This is all I need to read to understand your position.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:47 pm
@glitchgov,
glitchgov wrote:

I really believe the bulk of the people that get upset with my posts aren't people that are in the same situation as me... but people that love Obama and his Obamacare because they are benefiting from it.

I don't think people are upset with your posts. This is, for the most part, a pretty unexcitable group.

And Obama lovers? there are a few, but not a ton on this thread. I'm certainly not a fan. He's too far to the right for my taste.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

but they want the personal details of people who point out the gaps in their arguments

yup, that'll fly
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:52 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

True, but his (and my) issue is demanding all sorts of personal and financial information. The implication being that if we don't furnish it, we are somehow being dishonest.

yup. that's certainly what he's saying to posters who aren't providing their personal details to him/you (since it's your issue too). No implication at all.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 06:53 pm
Quote:
One last thing... I have never been to this site and I won't come back. You guys are a joke... like Chicken Little coming up with all these theories as to who I could possibly be. I know... maybe it's an inside job. Maybe I'm one of the moderators and I'm plotting to exact my revenge on all you liberals. I've never BEEN on the site. I'm NOT a shill. Why would I have to be??? Stupid people.

What a shame. I was beginning to like this guy.
0 Replies