Obamacare... 'Affordable'???

Miller

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2013 12:58 pm
@carpman,
carpman wrote:

Obamacare is incredibly affordable. You do not need to be insured during the 3 month open enrollment period. You do not need to pay premiums during the 90 days before the open enrollment period because if you get sick you just pay the delinquent premiums. So, you only have to pay premiums for 6 months of the year because if you get sick 3 months prior to open enrollment or during open enrollment you just pay the delinquent premiums or enroll. So anyone can effectively cut their premiums in half.

Spoken like a true criminal. Bu the way, read the National Review and find out just how much of a jip, ObamaCare really is. Also, stop being the "mouthpiece" for Obama.
0 Replies

mikric12

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2014 02:17 pm
A couple of points:
I do not consider four health insurance companies handling the state of California an exchange, rather a monopoly. Most importantly, a single payer option would have solved all the affordability problems for us 99% hardworking, overtaxed serfs of the 1% plutocrats.
0 Replies

zecc1

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 08:46 am
Our family health coverage went up from 16k per yr (family of 5) to 23k per yr with much worse coverage. Higher deductibles, responsible for 30% of certain types of coverage. We make around 80k per yr in NJ. Now 27% of our income is going towards health insurance! We are healthy people (knock wood). This is affordable to who? People who couldn't get insurance before? What country can we move to?
tmill

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 09:12 am
We'll I got my first taste of my new insurance rates today and let me tell you they need to rename this from "Affordable Care Act" to the "Unaffordable Care Act". I'm 58 my wife is 56 and we have two children on our plan. My son 25 years and my daughter 23. Our family insurance rate went up 77% from $975.00 per month to $1729.00. We have a HSA account meaning we pay for just about everything until our 2500 detectable per person kicks in and then the insurance pays 100% after this. The new plan - after the 2500 dollar deductible is reached we then pay 20%. What a bunch of crap. I knew that everything the President was speaking of was a bunch of BULL but now it's finally hit home and I'm pissed. So much for saving money for retirement.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 09:27 am
@zecc1,
zecc1 wrote:
What country can we move to?

Try Somalia.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 09:28 am
@tmill,
tmill wrote:
I'm 58 my wife is 56 and we have two children on our plan. My son 25 years and my daughter 23.

There's your problem. Your kids are deadbeats. You failed as a parent.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 09:38 am
Are these the people who didn't have insurance before? I don't understand. I'm on Medicare so I know I don't count. My wife is 61 and she gets insurance for $175 per month. Yes there is a $2500 deductible. A few years ago she was in the hospital for about two weeks. Cost $200,000. I'm glad we don't have that bill.

My kids are employed and buy their own insurance.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2014 09:41 am
@tmill,
Your kids are 25 and 23 and you are just now saving for retirement?

The president didn't change your rates, your insurance company did. Probably because it didn't meet the minimum before. You would have found out it didn't provide coverage when you needed it.
tmill

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 09:37 am
@IRFRANK,
My comments were not about my retirement plan. I was trying to make a point of what nonsense the new ACA is. Yes, we have been putting money into a 401k plan since my wife and I have been married and yes we try and put as much away as possible each month. Now that all three (not two) of our kids our out of College and the kid expenses are at a minimum I thought we could start putting more away each month.
And you are correct the President could not of screwed this up all by him self with out the full support of the Dems that controlled both houses at the time the law was passed.
The insurance rates changed as a result of the new ACA law. As far as meeting the minimum let me say this one more time. At the 975 rate per month out of pocket expense for a single person on the old plan was $2500.00 after this the insurance company picked up 100% of the additional cost. The new plan for 1729.00 per month-out of pocket expenses per person is 2500.00 we pay 20% after the deductible is reached. So I'm not sure what you mean by "probably because it didn't meet the minimum before". statement.
tmill

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 09:43 am
@joefromchicago,
Nice comment Joe. So how old are you 13? From your comments it sounds like you've got a lot of growing up to do. All my kids have full time jobs. DO YOU? and yes I am still are paying for two of my kids on our current heath care plan. Is that a problem? it's my choice.
Once again I was trying to give people some input on the high cost of insurance that is directly related to the new health care law. These comments aren't about my retirement plan of my kids.
IRFRANK

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 10:01 am
@tmill,
First of all, I do sympathize. I had employer insurance for my working life and I'm glad I don't (didn't) have to deal with this today. There has to be a reason the rates changed the way they did. I don't know the details. The ACA was passed for a reason. Millions of people did not have any insurance at all. That cost fell to the rest of us. There are many problems with the system. I don't see any solutions coming from the repubs, other than 'free market' . Which got us into the mess in the first place. The basic problem with the health care system is cost. I'm for single payer but that won't happen as long as the congress works for lobbyists instead of the people.

I did go through the healthcare website before I went on Medicare and the cost was going to be $600 a month. About the same as I was paying when I was working, if you include the employer contribution. $1729 for 4 people doesn't seem out of line.

Quote:
All my kids have full time jobs. DO YOU? and yes I am still are paying for two of my kids on our current heath care plan. Is that a problem? it's my choice.

The I guess they should pay their share. Without the ACA you wouldn't be able to cover your kids under 25 years old.

I apologize for the retirement comment. That was out of line.
chai2

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 10:03 am
@IRFRANK,
He said both of his children are working full time.
IRFRANK

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 10:10 am
@chai2,
Yes. I saw that after I posted. $1700 a month for 4 people doesn't see out of line to me. We just went through a hospitable stay that cost over $250k including doctors. The problem is a cost problem.
chai2

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 10:17 am
@IRFRANK,
I pay $155 a month and I'm 55. I have a silver plan.

I don't get where 4 people, 2 in their 30's would be 1700.
IRFRANK

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 01:03 pm
@chai2,
Is that an individual plan or through an employer? That sounds cheap.
chai2

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 02:59 pm
@IRFRANK,
Individual.

Albeit, for this coming year, 2014 I plan to make less taxable income this year, but when I played around with different numbers, it wasn't that much more.

I bought an individual plan to see me through the few months before January, paid just about as much, and the coverage was more for like if I ended up in the hospital.

This one is working well for me.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2014 04:20 pm
@tmill,
tmill wrote:
All my kids have full time jobs. DO YOU? and yes I am still are paying for two of my kids on our current heath care plan. Is that a problem? it's my choice.

So let me get this straight: you increase the number of people on your policy by 100% while your premiums only increase by 77% and you're complaining? What's the problem? Did you think the ACA would let you carry your kids on your policy for free? Geez, not only are your kids freeloaders, but it sounds like they got that attitude from you.
tmill

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 07:47 am
@joefromchicago,
Joe,
We we paying 975.00 for all four people on the plan. Now with the new rates it's gone up to $1729.00. The only thing that has changed our plan is once our $2,500.00 dollar deductible is reached we pay 20% of the cost after that point. The old plan it picked up 100% of the cost once the $2,500.00 deductible was reached. I think you must be the only one who's reading this that has a problem understanding my comments.
0 Replies

tmill

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 08:11 am
@IRFRANK,
I agree with your comments on the millions of people that were not covered but I don't see how Obama care is going to fix the problem. If anything I think there will end up being more uninsured people. A lot of the younger generation is not going to pay 300.00 per month when they used to get the health care for $50.00 per month. There are many others who will just pay the penalty because they won't be able to afford the higher cost. I do agree that something needed to be done to get healthcare cost under control and make it affordable for people with preexisting conditions and lower income families. I just don't think this new law is the answer. Your comment about "1729 not seeming to be out of line". I'm not sure how else to explain that we were paying 975 for four people before and now we are expected to pay $1729.00 for a worse plan. That was a sh0cker for me.
Apology accepted
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2014 09:12 am
@tmill,
And it probably had a max of a million per person that no longer exists, and you could have been dropped which can no longer happen. You seem to want this to be an Obama and Dem problem, but it was the insurance lobby who stipulated the premium options and it's the insurance industry who canceled all of the plans that would have impacted their bottom line.

Regardless, if you're within 400% of the FPL ($22050 for a family of four, or $88200) then your net premiums after the tax credit will not be more than 9.5% of your AGI. If you make more than that then you'll pay whatever the insurance companies can get out of your hide. If your adult children are all working full time then they should buy their own policies through the exchange, paying as little as 2% of their income based on their own salaries.
0 Replies