Motorcycle Gang vs Family in SUV

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2013 08:13 pm
I'm just reading along. I've only ridden a motorcycle once (liked it but I wasn't the driver), but an old boss wiped out on a curve (was fine, limped at work the next day) and my later business partner rode a motorcycle to get around LA for years (guessing the 70's, before I knew her). Only herds of roaring motorcycles I ever saw must have been ordinary motorcycle club types, which we'd have buzz by when we used to drive to Riverside County. No fears, no problemo.

I'm interested in the story re this particular group. Haven't looked at the video (no youtube access).
Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 07:04 am
@tsarstepan,
Parental instinct is to save your child from the guy trying to break into your car - you need to flee. So instead you stay there and let the guy break in and possible shoot your child from a few feet rather than flee where the ensuing gun fire is much less likely to reach you.

That is why basic self defense courses tell you never to leave with some one even if they have a weapon - they are less likely to shoot at you when fleeing in public than when they get you private.
Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 07:08 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
. A fellow cyclist had just been hit by the SUV and the driver took off instead of exchanging insurance info

He actually did stop at first. He did not take off until the other riders approached his vehicle, began yelling and threatening him and began slashing his tires. When he felt threatened that is when he took off.

I listened to a police officer speak about this on the radio this morning and he said the driver did the right thing under the circumstances and he would have suggested he leave the scence as well. The officer said, though the one thing this driver should have done is to drive to the nearest police station. He also mentioned it is against the law to leave the scence of the accident, however, in situations where it is not safe you should leave and drive to the nearest police station.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 07:09 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I'd have been on the phone with 911

According to the news reports either the driver or his wife was on the phone with police while this was occurring.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 07:14 am
@ossobuco,
You should be able to find info on this group - they came last year to NYC and the police were trying to keep them from organizing there. From what I heard - they are stunt drivers at least that is their claim.

another interesting tidbit. The unfortunate motorcyclists that was injured the most actually does not have a drivers liscence much less a liscence to operate a motorcycle.

Though Mieses is a Massachusetts resident, he has never had a valid Massachusetts driver’s license for a passenger vehicle and has never applied for a motorcycle license, the Registry of Motor Vehicles said.

Registry records show that Mieses applied for a learner’s permit in 1999 and 2000, but that he never obtained a full license because he failed to pay fines imposed after he was ticketed for speeding in Lawrence in 1999.

His last contact with the Registry was in 2001, when he obtained an identification card, registry records show.

Since 1999, he has been ticketed by police 16 times, in Lawrence, Methuen, Roxbury, Andover, and New Hampshire, according to registry records.

In June, the Registry notified the National Driver Register that Mieses was a habitual traffic offender whose right to drive in Massachusetts was revoked until 2017, records show.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/10/01/lawrence-man-seriously-injured-nyc-incident-involving-suv-and-motorcyclists/jHju3V1xAOsdF6Q2vT8BaL/story.html
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 07:53 am
@Linkat,
I just found info here:

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2013/10/02/heres-whats-really-crazy-about-the-nyc-biker-beat-down/

oy!

squids!
Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 10:20 am
@ossobuco,
If this blog is true - it is pretty scary.

I think it hit home for me as we were just driving a couple of weekends ago in New York on a road that looked very similar to where this incident took place. Because of how these parkways are narrower than other sort of highways and how they curve and the high speed - seem a bit dangerous any way.

Glad the weekend we went away to NY was not last weekend.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 10:24 am
@Linkat,
It read as if the blog person knew what he was talking about.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 02:05 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
This is one of those situations where one needs their 2nd Amendment rights,
and the right to defend themselves.
The mom shud be comfortable
in holding down an M-16; very slight recoil.
roger

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 02:56 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

That is why basic self defense courses tell you never to leave with some one even if they have a weapon - they are less likely to shoot at you when fleeing in public than when they get you private.

Outstanding advice.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 03:37 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Linkat wrote:

Outstanding advice.
O, yea, so my mother is STANDING OUT by the van
with the motorcyclists generating all their threats
and I call out: "OK, beat it, Mom. U r on your own.
I dont wanna leave with someone. Thay said not to, in a self defense course."

Right, Roger ?
roger

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2013 03:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
You're just being obtuse now, David. I hope it isn't accidental.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 07:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Are these legal? Maybe I should get one for our next trip to NY.
roger

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 01:24 pm
@Linkat,
Ain't nuthin' legal in New York City.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 01:28 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Quote:

Are these legal? Maybe I should get one for our next trip to NY.
I dont wanna be around,
if u r flying.

David
Linkat

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 02:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Are you worried for some reason? Like you are going to make me want to defend myself? I think I could take you without a weapon.

No I wouldn't fly to NYC or less likely as we are close enough to drive - I'd either drive or take the train - do they check for these on the train?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 03:31 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Are you worried for some reason?
No.

Linkat wrote:
Like you are going to make me want to defend myself?
No. I think that u seem to be very nice.
If u discerned a threat, then u inferred incorrectly.

Linkat wrote:
I think I could take you without a weapon.
Y do u think that ?

Linkat wrote:
I wouldn't fly to NYC or less likely as we are close enough
to drive - I'd either drive or take the train - do they check
for these on the train?
No.

I 've never been a very enthusiastic supporter
of the M-16 family of defensive firepower.
True that their recoil is near non-existent,
but its still a .22 caliber rifle (caliber .223).
I dont own one; I dont want one,
yet I cannot deny that thay DO work (if thay dont jam).

I prefer a little more powerful defensive personal ordnance.

David
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2013 04:04 pm
These guys are called stunters. Wheelies, etc. Should not be done on public roads. This was the result of road rage. One side happened to be on motorcycles. The SUV driver should have simply stopped and let them go. I'm not defending the 'bikers'. I hate these groups. It makes law abiding motorcyclists look bad. If they want to show their skill, they belong on a race track. A motorcycle is as dangerous as the person riding it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 08:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

The .260 Remington and the 7mm-08 are both based on the .308 necked down to a smaller caliber. As such, any assault rifle platform that can fire the .308 can easily be rebarreled to fire one of those calibers instead.

Recoil is definitely stiffer than .223 but is still quite manageable. They kick a lot less than the .308 that they are based on.

Terminal effectiveness is extremely good on a human-sized target. Both calibers are mainstream deer hunting rounds.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2013 10:47 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

The .260 Remington and the 7mm-08 are both based on the .308 necked down to a smaller caliber. As such, any assault rifle platform that can fire the .308 can easily be rebarreled to fire one of those calibers instead.

Recoil is definitely stiffer than .223 but is still quite manageable. They kick a lot less than the .308 that they are based on.

Terminal effectiveness is extremely good on a human-sized target. Both calibers are mainstream deer hunting rounds.
.308 is not a bad kick; a lot less
punitive than the Garand.
0 Replies