Wedding Bells and Other Annoying Things

Sugar

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 09:56 am
fishin - Dark brown, of course. I'm a classy broad!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 09:59 am
I always knew that about you sugar! lmao

Make sure you reserve me a seat in the chewing tobacco section.. No need for a spittoon.. I can use one of those plastic cups after I finish the beer.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 10:20 am
Just curious, fishin', are you one of the refined sort which keeps a wadded paper napkin in the cup to control the slosh? I think that's just SO sophisticated.

timber
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 10:24 am
lol Nah! Let it slosh around.

(In all honesty, I've never been one to chew tobacco. I've known a few people that did and most of them did do the napkin thing. The whole thing just seems way to messy to me though. Yuck. Now get me a good cigar and we're talkin'! Smile )
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 10:55 am
Knew a guy who chewed tobacco..no napkin...just carried around a cup....he bought a new MB SUV and was rear ended in the tunnel at high speed....the emergency persons who arrived at the scene were unable to identify his wounds...of which he really had none..except for the lovely way both he and his car now looked. Shortly thereafter..he quit chewin all together.

Sug...remembering this, I say..spitoons are in order.
Im sure they make lovely, classy ones...we can look.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 11:04 am
Yuck. Yuck. And double yuck. The napkin in the cup, Timber? Oh, gag me. Bleeechhh. <shudder>
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 11:25 am
What was the worst wedding anybody attended? For me it was in the park, beautiful but I thought I'd die with the heat on that hot August humid day. Plus, our chairs kept sinking deeper and deeper in the ground.

When something funny or troublesome happens at a wedding it gets funnier and funnier year after year, in the telling.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 11:32 am
Worst one was in Duluth, Minnesota, where I hated the bride and knew it wouldn't last. I hated her so much that when she threw me her bouquet, I wouldn't catch it. Boy was her mom mad. By the way, the marriage lasted less than a year -- she slept around...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 01:49 pm
oooweee Piffka, that sounds like a sight to see. Did anybody catch the bouquet? What did you do? Back away from it and let it hit the ground?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 02:11 pm
this whole thought of baseball and usual corny wedding tradtions has me thinking...
instead of throwing the bouquet....someone throws out the first ball...humm...gosh..Sug, would your Dad condsider the honor of throwing out the first ball in place of that 'giving you away' crap as well?

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 03:34 pm
(Also wondering what willful refusal to catch the bouquet entailed. Picturing a peach-chiffon-gowned Piffka with arms crossed, levelly gazing at the bride as the bouquet arcs toward her and bounces at her feet...)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 07:46 am
Sugar could slide into home, thereby revealing her garter, for the whole garter thingie. And definitely toss the ball rather than the bouquet.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 08:31 am
I could see Sugar doing that, it could work
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 11:39 am
Sozobe - You've got it! Sorry for the delay... I've been without power since yesterday morning!

The wedding bouquet dropped at my feet. I may have backed away, as well. There was no joyful giggling and good sportsmanship, I am sorry to say. I really was being a brat!

As I said, the woman was a hound, and had almost no girl friends in attendance, so the few of us who were there and told to "catch" the bouquet made it embarassingly obvious that I did not want to sully fingers.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 01:36 pm
Sometimes we're forced to make our feelings painfully obvious when painted into a corner. You weren't being a brat as much as being true to your feelings.
I wish I could've seen it, tho.' It's sitcom material.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 02:14 pm
It is sitcom material! I didn't realize what I was doing at the time... but have been teased about it for the last twenty-odd years by my S.U. who with his friends watched the entire thing. It gave them, I guess, an inkling of what his life with me would be like, LOL.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 02:39 pm
This has been a marvelous read,people,while I´ve stuffed pizza into my mouth.
timberlandko wrote:
Just curious, fishin', are you one of the refined sort which keeps a wadded paper napkin in the cup to control the slosh? I think that's just SO sophisticated.

I spat a chunk of it out when I read Timbers post though.The most I´ve laughed in A2K.Thanks for the soiled VDU.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 04:49 pm
Glad to help ya, Hebba! What's a VDU?
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2002 09:17 pm
My daughter is getting married this coming June, and since she's one of those who has been dreaming about her wedding since she was old enough to know what a wedding was she's having a traditional, though not overly large, wedding. Since we live on Long Island and the groom-to-be's family is upstate New York, we get to do all the planning (which is the way she wanted it). However, she is making a point of trying to include his Mom by inviting her to come see the reception hall and see her wedding dress (both after they'd been selected). Future MIL loved the idea (said a lady she works with was very jealous cause her future daughter-in-law didn't let her see the dress ahead of time).

On the other hand, my son may be getting married next September and, if so, they will have a very informal affair (maybe on a boat -- you can rent the Port Jefferson Ferry for weddings). Both he and his intended are very informal folks -- she may or may not wear an actual wedding dress. I have a niece who was married on the beach in front of the house on the Long Island Sound (Conn. side) that her parents rented each summer -- reception was a big barbecue (manned by local college kids my brother hired) and most guests came in very casual dress.

Point is -- it's your wedding and no matter who is paying for it, you should be the one to make the major decisions. Boyfriend can make the little ones. And future MIL can make the tiny ones.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 11:49 am
bandylu2 wrote:
Point is -- it's your wedding and no matter who is paying for it, you should be the one to make the major decisions. Boyfriend can make the little ones. And future MIL can make the tiny ones.
Isn't it the groom's wedding as well?
0 Replies