The Tea Party and the Muslim Brotherhood

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 09:53 am
I find it funny that conservatives here and elsewhere are jumping on the side of the oppressive government fighting, rather then on the side of the Egyptian Patriots.

Think about it.

The Tea Party in the US stands for traditional religious values. They believe in being armed as protection against government overreach. They call for the strict enforcement of the Constitution. And the Tea Party has a deep distrust and fear of minority religions and ethnic groups.

The Muslim Brotherhood is the Tea Party in Egypt. I find it a bit ironic that they don't show each other a little more love.

revelette

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 06:29 am
@maxdancona,
I don't really know, they just seem to support any Muslim suppression anywhere it is done by whoever does it.

It is kind of hard to get independent facts actually from Egypt, I think perhaps the military has taken over the media along with the country.

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/312876/slide_312876_2810949_free.jpg?1376662924000
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 07:05 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The Tea Party in the US stands for traditional religious values.

They do? Not the TPers I know. They stand for smaller gov't (find your own bootstraps and start pulling, baybee) with a libertarian-leaning foreign policy (isolationist). I think that's part of the problem with the Rs and TPers - they have numerous factions that aren't well defined.

I saw an interesting take on the military vs Muslim Brotherhood yesterday. This assessment stated that the military is taking a lesson from the Iranian revolution and isn't going to sit idly by while the mullahs take over the country and kill off all the generals.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 07:14 am
@JPB,
Quote:

http://www.irregulartimes.com/teaparty2.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/202071/thumbs/s-TEA-PARTY-CHRISTIANS-large.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNRQD7rEsVmufTmhBDwI3U2hzdt52P3Kaxk0_B4XZdxLwwhfHTZg
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 07:24 am
The social conservatives tried to usurp the TP movement and won a few seats, but the Todd Akins of the world didn't really represent what the TP was about. They're the ones who are willing to shut down the government -- not for social issues, but over concerns about deficit spending.

From today's WaPo
Quote:
Preventing Egypt from sliding into civil war is a global security issue, as young militants who a year ago trusted the ballot box could potentially turn into the next generation of extremists.

What’s urgently needed is a multi-pronged strategy involving people of moral authority and leaders from countries trusted by the Muslim Brotherhood, the military and secular and liberal groups who can help Egypt walk back from the brink of anarchy and its growing loss of life. We believe an internationally constituted group of eminent persons should jump-start such an effort by brokering conditions for talks between all Egyptian players in an inclusive manner.

Such a group should include Nobel peace laureate Desmond Tutu of South Africa, former Malaysian prime minister Mahathir Mohamad, Tunisia’s Renaissance Party leader Rachid Ghannouchi, former U.S. national security adviser Jim Jones, former Irish president Mary Robinson and veteran Algerian diplomat Lakhdar Brahimi. With the support of the African Union, South Africa, Turkey and Qatar on the one hand, and the United States, the European Union and the Gulf Cooperation Council on the other, the group should immediately engage credible Egyptian leaders to facilitate breakthroughs, a task no one inside Egypt can accomplish now.Source

"people of moral authority and leaders from countries trusted by the Muslim Brotherhood, the military and secular and liberal groups"

that's quite a challenge...

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 08:12 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I find it funny that conservatives here and elsewhere are jumping on the side of the oppressive government fighting, rather then on the side of the Egyptian Patriots.

While both sides of the Egyptian conflict have run oppressive governments, or at least tried to, and while I hesitate to characterize the Muslim Brotherhood as Egyptian Patriots, I do agree with the general idea of this. I would have hoped that the democratic legitimacy of their government counted for more than it did.

maxdancona wrote:

Not really. The Ayn-Randian wing of the tea party, which may well be the dominant faction, isn't that big on religion at all.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 08:25 am
@Thomas,
Maybe I am using the word "Tea Party" too loosely then.

There is a large number of American theocrats running around with Tri-corner hats, guns and "Don't tread on me" flags. These are the same people who are electing representatives at a federal and state level who are passing laws on forced vaginal probes, opposing the construction of mosques and shutting down abortion clinics.

If I can't call these people "Tea Party" zealots, then what is the name for them? The have a significant impact in some state legislatures and have a inordinate amount of leverage in the House of Representatives.
JPB

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 08:46 am
@maxdancona,
They're the social conservative wing of the republican party. They'll vote for a Rick Santorum over a Paul Ryan.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 08:50 am
@maxdancona,
The T P seems to be made up of many parts. But the people they have helped to elect do the things that you describe. If the shoe fits-----.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 08:53 am
@JPB,
Quote:
They'll vote for a Rick Santorum over a Paul Ryan.

What's the distinction you are making between Rick Santorum and Paul Ryan?

Paul Ryan wrote:
“It’s a path that grows government, restricts freedom and liberty and compromises those values, those Judeo-Christian, Western civilization values that made us such a great and exceptional nation in the first place.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 08:56 am
I think part of the problem with the "tea party" is that they have no real leadership.

I asked some of my local members about Sarah Palin.

"oh, she doesn't represent us" was the answer...

well, she kinda does. but they don't think so. because officially she doesn't.

each faction seems to have different thoughts on what they represent. or don't.

my local TPers mostly are on the religious side of abortion.

and guns.

but think the republicans spend too much money.

and some of them even go to the same health clinic that I do. the one losing it's funding because of Tea Party type policies...
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 08:59 am
@Thomas,
Quote:
The Ayn-Randian wing of the tea party, which may well be the dominant faction, isn't that big on religion at all.

I think you are wrong about that Thomas. Most of the Ayn-Randian wing of the tea party are staunchly religious. And yes, I am aware of the basic contradiction that exists because of the real Ayn Rand's strong atheism.

Rand Paul (son of famed libertarian Ron Paul) is good example of this.
JPB

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 09:01 am
@maxdancona,
I see the words "those Judeo-Christian" as pandering to the religious right. They'd be sincere coming from Santorum.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 09:04 am
@JPB,
Can you name a prominent figure associated with the Tea Party who supports same sex marriage? (Ron Paul is the last I know about, and his answer was pretty self-contradictory.)
JPB

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 09:04 am
@maxdancona,
the libertarian faction is yet another faction of the republican party.

You've got the fiscal conservatives (Ryan), the social conservatives (Santorum), the libertarians (Paul), the corporate kings (Romney) and probably a few other factions thrown in here and there. Given the four names above in a Republican primary the TPers I know would be choosing between Ryan and Paul.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 09:05 am
@maxdancona,
hell no, but they're a faction of the Republican party. Not supporting gay marriage doesn't make them religious.
JPB

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 09:14 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

If I can't call these people "Tea Party" zealots, then what is the name for them? The have a significant impact in some state legislatures and have a inordinate amount of leverage in the House of Representatives.

"American Taliban" works for me.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 09:16 am
@JPB,
Quote:
Not supporting gay marriage doesn't make them religious.

Come on JPB.

If the Tea Party was a group formed around economic issues, don't you find it incredible that they are in such lockstep agreement on a non-economic social issue?

It is even harder to believe that libertarians, absent religion, would want to outlaw same sex marriage. If that is the case, then what does the word "libertarian" even mean?

JPB

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 09:19 am
@maxdancona,
It's about priorities. Folks generally care more about one aspect of the party platform than others when making a decision on how they're going to cast their ballot. Of course there's a lot of crossover, but come time to fill in the box or pull the lever they're is generally an overriding cause/issue that tips the balance.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 09:22 am
@JPB,
Quote:
"American Taliban" works for me.

That's a fine name too. Here is the challenge.

Can you name three prominent Tea Party members who don't also want to end gay marriage, severely limit (or eliminate) abortion and stir up fear of minority religious groups.