How come Americans are so bad at spelling and grammar?

ossobuco

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:03 pm
@Gabrielle72,
Excused?

You really are strict.

Do they get slips of paper to keep?
Gabrielle72

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:14 pm
@engineer,
Actually, I don't have that much time. The only reason I've been so active in here for the past two days is that it's weekend Smile
0 Replies

Gabrielle72

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:16 pm
@ossobuco,
Come onnn! Stop analyzing every word I say. I meant to say that people with dyslexia have an excuse for bad spelling; people with normal learning abilities do not.
thack45

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:16 pm
Well... this has, as I believe Engineer might've been eluding, become quite the mountainous molehill. I for one know I was raised to hold in high regard certain things that others may find dubious, some of which I now find the same. But I've done a good deal of work (which will never be finished) in order to scrape myself of habits of elitism. And all the while as I scour, more and more opportunities for prejudiced behavior present themselves. But to bemoan as "inexcusable" and "unforgivable" the things people do that are in fact excusable and forgivable does seem to me a little elitist.

OT for a moment...

panzade wrote:
Since public education funding is primarily a function of property taxes we see a growing disparity in the quality of general education that mirrors a growing economic disparity in our society.

THAT, to me, is inexcusable. And the fact that it continues on indicates to me exactly what will come from most of the posturing and pandering about respect and decency toward others.
ossobuco

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:30 pm
@thack45,
Agreeing across the board with Thack. And Panzade.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:34 pm
@Gabrielle72,
You poor thing.

I can't help (no control, you know) just saying that.
So, was it Jackie Gleason who made that sentence famous? Or, Alice?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:35 pm
@Gabrielle72,
Cutting in to our arguing to say welcome to a2k, Gabrielle.
0 Replies

olivvia

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 04:12 pm
@Gabrielle72,
Excellent point, noteworthy!
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 04:41 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
you really need to lighten up.

You really can't grasp just what a hypocrite you are, can you, Set. You are a real laugh and a half.
0 Replies

JPB

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 04:53 pm
@Gabrielle72,
Gabrielle72 wrote:

Come onnn! Stop analyzing every word I say. I meant to say that people with dyslexia have an excuse for bad spelling; people with normal learning abilities do not.

Perfect spelling and grammar but can't seem to make a clear point.

The mind boggles.
JTT

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 05:12 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Electronic media, and especially "text speak" are changing the language more rapidly than it has ever changed in the past.

A sea change from the grand Peevist.
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 05:29 pm
@Ticomaya,
What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Now that is one apt signature line for you, Tico.
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 05:32 pm
@roger,
Quote:
People very well do judge you by the way you talk, write,

The problem, Roger the dodger, is that most often these people, like you, don't have the foggiest notion about what constitutes the best way to talk, write.
ossobuco

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 05:36 pm
@JTT,
I know Roger. He is a good man. We argue substantially.

But you are a vile piece of **** to villify him, least of all re his grasp of language. You're kidding?

I take you as the clown, over and over.
But you know that.
JTT

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 05:38 pm
@Stormy11,
Quote:
This excepting UNDERSTANDABLE conversation. As long as they aren't speaking as if they have no sense. On a similar note; SLANG TERMS LIKE "dis" "dat" "dey" IRRITATE ME BEYOND MEASURE!! If you're going to start out a sentence "I be like", "We/I/They is", "Cuz" or the like, just please don't.

What are your pet peeves re English usage?

http://able2know.org/topic/21607-1
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 05:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
He is a good man.

That he may well be, Osso, but he doesn't know much about the workings of language.

Quote:
least of all re his grasp of language.

I think his grasp of language is fine in the same manner as the grasp of language of a five year old is fine. It's Roger the dodger's "knowledge" of the rules of language that are not very good.
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 18 Aug, 2013 11:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yer spelns uneak but hoo kars
0 Replies

Alisapg

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 03:23 am
@Gabrielle72,
Now,I have learned english many years,But I find that My english basic things can't master well.what ways I improve my basic things through?I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Gabrielle72

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 04:54 am
@JPB,
Probably not perfect, but at least I don't butcher the language. By the way, I'm pretty sure my points are clear enough... it's just that he loves doing that to me Razz
0 Replies

Gabrielle72

Mon 19 Aug, 2013 05:06 am
@Alisapg,
I'm not an English teacher, but I can speak from my own experience. Just practice, read, write and pay attention. When in doubt, look it up. Make sure to understand why things are the way they are.