How come Americans are so bad at spelling and grammar?

Walter Hinteler

Tue 12 Apr, 2016 05:06 am
@farmerman,
Regarding the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) : not many will look through the pages of the actual edition (2nd, published in 1989/third will be finished perhaps in 2037) but use the electronic version - mostly (like I do it) via a university library (subscription is £215 per year for individuals).
ossobuco

Tue 12 Apr, 2016 09:59 am
@farmerman,
good explanation..
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Tue 12 Apr, 2016 11:46 am
@farmerman,
farmerman

Wed 13 Apr, 2016 03:04 am
@Lordyaswas,
Rowan Atkinson had the best time of all entertainment personalities , driving a mid priced car on the "Top Gear" track.

He beat several entertainer/race drivers by several seconds.

0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 13 Apr, 2016 03:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I hope you dont think that Id actually make our saur kraut using the OED to weigh down the plate. I first put a cinder block and lay the book atop it.

Several Universities have OED access portals for the public. Their fee is quite reasonable.
Several years ago I bought a two vol set of the OED at a garage sale. (I also acquired an ENcyclopedia Britannica). These were volumes both from 1911. Its amazing what subjects (and words ) were covered. I have since donated both sets to an AMish school (And I give them all our old National Geographics,
The 1911 Britannica had an entire article about sailing ship rigging for several classes of sailing vessels still in use(mostly cargo schooners with multiple sails)
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 13 Apr, 2016 03:23 am
It wasn't until 1928 that the "full" OED was published, and it only had 400,000 words. I knew a man once who had purchased a set from about 1920, and was very sour about the fact that it only went up to the letter "S"--he thought he had been cheated. I pointed out to him that they hadn't gotten any further than that by then, but i don't think he believed me.
farmerman

Wed 13 Apr, 2016 04:50 am
@Setanta,
I wonder whether my 1911 "Concise" Oxford Dictionary of the English Language had any collectible value? It is the Fowler and Fowler ed

Setanta

Wed 13 Apr, 2016 05:42 am
I wouldn't pretend to know that. We had a member here years ago whose métier was rare books, and he would get them for people (on commission, of course), and do valuations. I can't even recall his name now. I'll try to remember to ask The Girl later.

Wait, it was Lion Tamer X.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 13 Apr, 2016 07:42 am
@farmerman,
I couldn't find any offers for the originla, but you can get the reprint for about $20.
0 Replies

Dave1963

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 07:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
I only have grade 9. I am appalled that people don't know the difference in spelling between brake (as in a car's brakes), or break as in coffee or smashing something. Heck, I've seen CEO's that make $300,000/year, and they can't spell worth a darn. It is not Americans who can't spell, it's pretty much everyone who grew up using spellcheck. My spellcheck is telling me I spelled break the wrong way!
ossobuco

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 07:24 pm
@Dave1963,
Spelling can be a challenge for people with dyslexia, even mild dyslexia. One of my cousins has dealt with it all her life and, in the meantime, has been brilliant at math.

Are you brilliant at math?
Have you heard of dyslexia?
Plus, some people may be less interested in spelling than you and are just trying to communicate.
0 Replies

Dave1963

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 07:34 pm
@Setanta,
That was pretty rude to generalize only Americans who can't spell correctly. I'm Canadian, and it is the same here. I would suspect that most English speaking countries are the same. And what is one to expect with the proliferation of texting? OMG, my BFF is ROFL! On a humorous note, I find it hilarious that the TV advertisements for the language learning software called Babbel, shows an American flag to denote learning English!! Where can I sign up to learn "American"...???
ossobuco

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 07:43 pm
@Setanta,
Really? I didn't know that. I miss him.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 09:30 pm
@Setanta,
Lion Tamer X is on facebook....great guy!
0 Replies

Real Music

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:12 pm
@Gabrielle72,
I attended American schools starting in the 1970s and graduated from High School in the mid 1980s. All throughout my time in school, there was a greater emphasis on grammar and spelling. Everyone learned basic fundamental math. I can't speak to the quality of today's American schools. I suspect there are some good schools as well as some bad schools. There are various school districts all over the nation.

If some Americans are atrocious in spelling and grammar as you have stated, I can only speculate the cause. Personally, I believe spelling and grammar has gotten worse in all countries due to the world of texting. Texting has created its own language. These texting acronyms and short cuts has essentially replaced proper grammar and proper spelling. What's that old saying "if you don't use it you lose it. Being that texting lingo has become so common in the world today, I am not surprise to see the use of proper grammar and spelling continue to get worse.

Check out this link.

http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php
0 Replies

timur

Mon 2 May, 2016 02:21 pm
real music wrote:
Being that texting lingo has become so common in the world today, I am not surprise to see the use of proper grammar and spelling continue to get worse.

Isn't there a saying about people who live in glass houses?
farmerman

Mon 2 May, 2016 07:38 pm
@timur,
I don't misspell words like Harbor or make up silly contractions like maths
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Tue 3 May, 2016 12:59 am
@timur,
Quote:
Isn't there a saying about people who live in glass houses?

People who live in glass houses mayn't pass tents.
0 Replies

Real Music

Mon 16 May, 2016 12:55 pm
http://englishlive.ef.com/blog/is-text-messaging-ruining-the-english-language/

Is text messaging ruining the English language?
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 16 May, 2016 02:28 pm
@Dave1963,
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/PHOTO/LARGE/common_loon_joshmerril.jpg
0 Replies