How come Americans are so bad at spelling and grammar?

Kolyo

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 08:27 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Gabrielle72 wrote:
The point is, people learn to speak the way they hear the language spoken by other people around them. That's not necessarily correct.

But it is correct, Gabrielle. It may not be standard English but it is correct for whatever dialect it is they speak.

So, if a bunch of people (say, 300 million Americans) learned from the way they heard language spoken around them that the expression "terror-inciting cockroach" accurately described you, would you say that phrase accurately described you?
Kolyo

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 08:27 pm
bump
0 Replies

JTT

Fri 23 Aug, 2013 08:54 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo has provided for us a perfect example of an American who is bad at grammar, in the conscious sense.
Ragman

Sun 12 Apr, 2015 04:22 pm
You might want to check...as you're 18 months too late if you're expecting a response from the thread's author. The thread has been inactive for 18 months and the OP most likely has moved on from the forum.
layman

Sun 12 Apr, 2015 04:50 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
...if you're expecting a response from the thread's author. The thread has been inactive for 18 months and the OP most likely has moved on from the forum

Actually, Ragman, I think he was looking for a response from JTT, which he promptly got.

Edit: Well, wait a minute...I see no post at all, other than yours, Ragman, since sept., 2013. What's happening here?
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 22 Apr, 2015 10:01 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Kolyo has provided for us a perfect example of an American who is bad at grammar, in the conscious sense.

JTT has also moved on.
0 Replies

proofreadmyfile

Thu 23 Apr, 2015 11:40 pm
@Gabrielle72,
Hi Gabrielle72,
Agreed with you
English is their mother tongue, so they can speak well, but to know about grammar they have to learn it by heart.
Setanta

Fri 24 Apr, 2015 02:39 am
@proofreadmyfile,
Your English is not so polished that you have any business criticizing native speakers--which was the case with the author of this thread.
0 Replies

CaptainBlackBeard95

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 03:00 pm
@Setanta,
When one addresses the entire population of a nation, they obviously mean ''the majority'' of the specific population.
Not being able to tell the difference between ''could of'' and ''could have'' when someone says ''could've'' shouldn't be an excuse. The actual question is ''Why do they not learn that at school?''.
Like many comments mention, it is not meant to be a big deal. Though that is true (it not having to be a big deal), it actually is a big deal for people like me. People that have this thing that many people call OCD (though I don't think it is OCD), can't stand it when people say ''I could of been there'' or ''Your cute''. Also not using question marks, apostrophes and periods is a big deal to me. ''We done''. Is that a question or is it like, a statement?? Are you asking me if we are done or are you telling me we are done?? It is not only confusing but also makes me want to break the device I am using to read that.

Point being, don't be lazy. Use question marks, periods, apostrophes, commas and read books as I know the school doesn't do enough to make sure the teens know these things.

P.S. If my grammar is improper, I apologize as I am not from an English speaking country.
neologist

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 04:19 pm
@CaptainBlackBeard95,
Welcome to a2k, CaptainBlack.
You are not from an English speaking country? I am jealous. My knowledge of most other languages goes little beyond a few expletives and how to order breakfast. Your observations about English grammar are well taken. If you have worked to learn why not Joe Sixpack?

Some of us take advantage of colloquialisms for emphasis or to create voice. Some don't have the slightest idea what they are saying or writing. That being said, this is a good forum.

0 Replies

rockdrumr

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 11:13 am
@ossobuco,
"interrogative"
Lordyaswas

Sat 9 Apr, 2016 11:29 am
@rockdrumr,
What? No intro? No niceties?

Welcome to a2k, rocky. I'm sure you'll do just fine here.

psst! That spelling error was made three years ago.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 10 Apr, 2016 03:07 am
@CaptainBlackBeard95,
I find it hilarious that you acknowledge that you are not from an English-speaking country and beg sufferance in advance for your possible grammar errors, after having lectured me on what is tolerable or acceptable in English usage. Are you familiar with the word irony?
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 10 Apr, 2016 03:43 am
@edgarblythe,
Up, is with which it shall not be kept.
0 Replies

LisaMc

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 02:43 am
@Gabrielle72,
You are just generalizing the problem. I am sure there are people even in Europe who make grammatical mistakes.
saab

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 02:54 am
@LisaMc,
Yes of course we Europeans make grammatical mistakes in our own languages.

In certain circles in Europe it is "comme il faut" to complain about the American language.
The British is perfect.
Canadian, Australian and New Zeland are never mentioned.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 02:56 am
A refreshing and, in my experience, very rare candor.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Roberta

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 03:55 am
@oristarA,
then is not a misspelling. It is the correct spelling of the word then. The problem is with the usage--then instead of than. Speaking of usage, atrocious? You view using then rather than than as atrocious? A bit over the top, don't you think?
0 Replies

saab

Mon 11 Apr, 2016 07:25 am
@oristarA,
So like other Americans ......
So like other........ put in any nation you feel like
make mistakes in words that are spelled different but spoken in the same way.