If you are in a Male/Female relationship who drives?

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 03:50 pm
I always do. But I watch and it seems that the current trend for anyone under 30 is that the woman drives. I assume this is supposed to be part of some "up with women" movement, that progressive men are told that they should encourage women to take over this formerly male chore. but maybe this is a part of a new male laziness, that they expect to be chauffeured around as if they are children?

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 04:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I always do. But I watch and it seems that the current trend for anyone under 30 is that the woman drives. I assume this is supposed to be part of some "up with women" movement, that progressive men are told that they should encourage women to take over this formerly male chore. but maybe this is a part of a new male laziness, that they expect to be chauffeured around as if they are children?

We play that whoever wins the previous hole...drives.

Then the others drive...going in order from lowest on previous hole to highest.

Although sometimes we play "ready golf"...and whoever gets to the tee first drives.

Hope that has been of help.

By the way, the sex of the players never comes into consideration.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 04:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
I do, or one of the women I know does.

Seems to pretty much be women driving in most male/female couples in our neighbourhood - other than Eva/Nick and Mary/Ron. Both of those couples consist of people in their late 70's to mid 80's.

Under the age of 70 - the women are the drivers.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 04:49 pm
@ehBeth,
wow, I had not noticed it much in middle aged couples...do you have a theory as to what is up?
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:00 pm
In my last long-term relationship, I drove the car I came into the relationship with, she drove the car she came in with. Mine was a 2-seater sports car with a manual transmission, and she'd never learned to drive stick. It was limited in how many people and how much stuff it could carry. Hers was an SUV, which was usually more practical. If she was busy doing something else and we had to do something like schlepping her kids around, I'd drive her car. Otherwise, she was usually at the wheel. I had no problems with being chauffeured around, and neither did she, so sometimes there was a bit of contention as to who actually had to take the wheel--"you drive", "no, you drive".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
I always thought it had something to do with women getting glasses when they needed to - while men weren't admitting that they were middle-aged and couldn't see as well anymore. That could just reflect some of the pretty boys in our circle.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:15 pm
@ehBeth,
I have rarely met a man who would admit that his eyes were going. However getting lost more often and the resulting female bitching will put men off of driving duty voluntarily.
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
do you have a theory as to what is up?

I'm not sure what difference it makes and why you think something is up? I'm middle-aged - sometimes my husband drives sometimes I do. His driving can be a bit erratic and so if we're going somewhere as a family I'll often make up an excuse to drive so he doesn't scare the kids. He has tried to improve though since we had to stop on a highway once when my teenage daughter (who had lost a classmate in a traffic accident) burst into tears because she was so terrified (not without justification). He's always been a scary driver - we were out for a day in the mountains with my parents once and were planning a fairly precarious mountain road to take after lunch - we made sure he drank too much at lunch so that I would have to drive.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 06:22 pm
@Pearlylustre,
something is up because the trend has reversed and did not become equality. this can only be explained by the existence of a reason. men do more housework and child rearing than we used to but it is no where near equal, but in driving we see what used to be a male dominated chore has become a female dominated chore I think. this is extremely interesting, and me being the quizzical sort I want to know why this has happened.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 07:50 pm
In my last relationship (20 yr), we both did, but towards the end (last 8 years) he would often ask me to. In this marriage, he always wants to drive either car, unless I'm picking him up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 07:58 pm
My ex and I shared driving. He always drove at night if we were together, since I'm night blind. I mostly was the one driving in daytime if we were going somewhere together, using my car. He drove his truck if he was going somewhere at night by himself, like some play rehearsal. Driving on longer trips, we traded off, he doing the obvious, driving at night. Or, going way across the greater LA metro and beyond area, I might drive there and he drive back.

On the other hand, I drove his apache truck part of the time, going by myself to lumber yards (they used to exist) and plant nurseries. We changed vehicles over the decades, natch, but had the same patterns. Basically a combo of practicality and enjoyment of your own car. No power pattern in it.

Uh, he was a good driver. Got lenses when he needed them.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 08:06 pm
I do. Always. It has more to do with my desire to survive the trip than anything else.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 08:07 pm
Mr. B does the driving at our house but it's probably because I loathe driving. I don't find it fun at all. I want to read or stare out the window looking at things. He enjoys driving.

If there is a big shift among young people it might have to do with insurance rates or the fact that cars simply aren't "cool" anymore unless you have big bucks and can buy something cool. Most cars are as dull as dishwater these days.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 08:18 pm
@boomerang,
picture a young man and a young woman in a big ass truck, and the woman is driving. this is what I am seeing.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 10:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
my wife tells me that the men are all useless on the current season of Big Brother. Connection?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 11:06 pm
Well, I remember a few years ago I was in the fast lane on the Mass Pike, probably going well over the speed limit, and I saw a car in the next lane over, also doing well over the speed limit, tho not quite as fast as me. As I remember it was a white Suzuki Brat, one of those very small SUVs designed to appeal to teenage frat boys who wear white baseball caps backward and get hammered every weekend. White with two different color speed stripes that wrapped around the car from the front, along the sides, and up by the rear window. It looked like an animated soccer jersey from one of the less successful low budget British clubs with thousands of soccer yobs as fans. And the license plate was a vanity plate which read IBEBAD.

So I had to see what the driver was like, and I sped up a little bit. She was a little old lady, hunched over the wheel, gray hair in a bun on top of her head, hunched over the wheel, so short she probably could barely see over it. So much for sterotypes. So much for the marketing geniuses who designed the car for a particular market.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 11:20 pm
There are more male engineers than female engineers.

Maybe it's time to design cars so that you have to be at least 5'6'' to reach the pedals.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 11:44 pm
Quote:
Q: I see people driving and talking on their phones all the time. Do police ever cite anyone for this?

A: All the time, though not often enough to catch every violator, says Trooper Chris Webb of the Washington State Patrol.

He says:

Last year the WSP stopped over 16,000 cell phone violators (6,620 were cited) and 2,000 violators for texting (1,025 were cited). Unfortunately, like many other violations, law enforcement don’t always see the infractions or are not in a position to make the traffic stop due to other circumstances; they may be en route to a call. Research by the Washington Traffic Safety Commission showed that from 2009 to 2012, distracted driver-involved collisions accounted for 20 percent of all traffic deaths in King County.

Webb also reminds readers that law enforcement countywide is conducting distracted driving emphasis patrols through Aug. 25.

Washington’s talking-while-driving law took effect in July 2008. The fine for distracted driving amounts to $124. Distracted driving violations don’t just apply to talking on the phone while driving. They can also include applying makeup, eating, driving with your knees or any other activity that diverts a driver’s attention from the road.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/2013/08/14/do-drivers-on-cell-phones-ever-get-caught/
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 11:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
6000/5179000=.001159x100= .1159%

surveys say that 70% admit to talking on cell while driving
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6210a1.htm
but on 1% get ticketed in a year in my state.

interesting
0 Replies

lexyfranks

Reply Fri 16 Aug, 2013 04:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
Long trips take it in turns that way you both get some sleep. Short trips depends on who instigated the trip. Maybe she drives there you drive back. Also depends on alcohol intake and safety as a driver, some of my male friends are just hazardous so their girlfriends steal the keys.
0 Replies