The Democratic Party's Long and Shameful History of Bigotry

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 04:18 am
I am no Democrat. If a party more in tune with my ideas came into being I would jump ship immediately.
wmwcjr

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 08:27 am
@edgarblythe,
I know exactly how you feel! I, too, wish we had a third political party (not the Libertarians) with a new political ideology. But I know it will never happen.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 08:39 am
I am hoping that any legitimate third party will run by conservative tea party types. A third party that divides liberal/progressive votes without getting any real political power would be a disaster for pragmatic progressives (like me).

A third party on your side is a curse.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 08:42 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am hoping that any legitimate third party will run by conservative tea party types. A third party that divides liberal/progressive votes without getting any real political power would be a disaster for pragmatic progressives (like me).

A third party on your side is a curse.

Thank you for this common sense comment, Max. You are right on the button!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 10:18 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

So Foofie, you are implying that Blacks, Asians, Hispanics and Jews are bigots based on only on their ethnicity? I think you are missing the point. This isn't about ethnicity, it is about bigotry and the politicians who appeal to them for votes. The party that is pursuing (and winning) the bigot vote in the past few decades is the Republicans.

In that past it was the Democrats appealing to bigots but that all changed during the Richard Nixon administration.

Republican bigots are bigots because of what they are doing and saying, not because of their ethnicity.

What I am questioning is whether the minorities that think that the pie is not being fairly divided, partly due to the Democratic party talking about the wealthy 1% not being taxed enough, makes many a minority feel that they are being kept down by white folk that have an advantage. The advantage that whites have is willing to use the capitalistic system to their advantage. So, it is not bigotry that makes Republicans, but Republican policies that allow those who work within a capitalistic system to keep their profits. It is no different than any other "contest." Society, like baseball, football, soccer, etc., is just a contest. Winners and losers. The losers are losers oftentimes because they choose not to play. The Democrats, in my opinion, imply that the rules of the contest should change, so those that won't, or can't, exploit the rules of capitalism (i.e., education) can still enjoy life, since there are contests, besides kindergarten, where there are no real losers.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 10:26 am
@Foofie,
The Democrats are suggesting that the rules are unfair, and there is a lot of evidence to back up that claim. If you are born in a white upper-middle class family it is much easier for you to be successful (by any measure of success) than a child born in a black, working class family.

The rules are specifically set up to protect privilege. The children of the privileged have privilege bestowed upon them. They don't have to work that hard to have the success that they are brought up believing they are entitled to. An extraordinary person born without privilege can work like a dog and use unusual talent to reach the same place, and some people do this (and others fail). But this doesn't change that fact that the playing field is slanted dramatically. Children born in privilege are given success on a platter with little work (or even talent) required.

If the rules were fair, than I wouldn't feel the need to change them.
Foofie

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 10:45 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The Democrats are suggesting that the rules are unfair, and there is a lot of evidence to back up that claim. If you are born in a white upper-middle class family it is much easier for you to be successful (by any measure of success) than a child born in a black, working class family.

The rules are specifically set up to protect privilege. The children of the privileged have privilege bestowed upon them. They don't have to work that hard to have the success that they are brought up believing they are entitled to. An extraordinary person born without privilege can work like a dog and use unusual talent to reach the same place, and some people do this (and others fail). But this doesn't change that fact that the playing field is slanted dramatically. Children born in privilege are given success on a platter with little work (or even talent) required.

If the rules were fair, than I wouldn't feel the need to change them.

So, how do you explain that Irish-Americans had more bigotry heaped on them, than most other ethnic groups, yet lifted themselves up by their own bootstraps? Or Jewish-Americans? Or Japanese-Americans?

My point is that "the playing field" has always been slanted against anyone that is not part of a successful social class; however, there are other winners, from other social classes (aka, ethnics) and now it is the Democratic Party that talks about taking from them, after they lifted themselves up by their own bootstraps. It sounds to me like the Democratic Party is ready to play Robin Hood, and including many people who just got to be admitted to the proverbial castle, based on their own industriousness. In my opinion, the Democratic Party is pandering to the have-nots by feeding the have-not willingness to ignore their self-defeating social mores (aka, the dog ate my homework).

But, far be it for me to deny the underclass a life of freebies, paid for through taxing those that make the system function. Remember, to get anything started in a capitalistic system, someone must be risking capital. The Democratic Party promulgates the myth to the underclass that the Golden Goose cannot be killed, in my opinion. I'll see you in 100 years to see if that was correct.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 11:01 am
It is interesting that the three ethnic groups you single out as successful now vote, by significant margins, for the Democrats. I wonder if they see Democratic policies as part of the basis for their success.
revelette

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 11:21 am
All minority groups have a harder road to travel than white Americans. Perhaps early in our history left over from the British maybe, Irish Americans had it harder than some ethnic groups, but they were not brought over here in chains, denied the right to vote, forbidden to sit in the front of the bus or to drink out of the same fountain as white folks. I don't recall seeing any fountains labeled Irish on one side and white on the other. (I do recall old pictures of "Irish need not apply) There has been progress but it has been hard fought during the civil right era. Now that some of those laws and rules seem to be backtracking, we have seen the results. Just as soon as they struck down parts of the voting rights acts, states are right back at making it harder for some folks to vote. As Justice Ginsburg said afterwards, "told you so."

It is also no longer true that blacks take in more government help than whites.

Quote:
Another finding of the study is that the distribution of benefits no longer aligns with the demography of poverty. African-Americans, who make up 22 percent of the poor, receive 14 percent of government benefits, close to their 12 percent population share.

White non-Hispanics, who make up 42 percent of the poor, receive 69 percent of government benefits – again, much closer to their 64 percent population share.

source

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 11:29 am
@maxdancona,
It was policies to level the playing field, such as getting rid of the clearly racist "Asian Exclusion Act", enacting laws to address the inequity anti-semitism (important in education, the workplace and housing) that gave Jewish and Japanese Americans the chance to succeed.

The Republicans are actively trying to roll back these protections.
Foofie

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 11:36 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It was policies to level the playing field, such as getting rid of the clearly racist "Asian Exclusion Act", enacting laws to address the inequity anti-semitism (important in education, the workplace and housing) that gave Jewish and Japanese Americans the chance to succeed.

The Republicans are actively trying to roll back these protections.

Jews and Asians do not need protection today. Your premise includes a false extrapolation into the future, in my opinion. Please stop trying to link past anti-Semitism or anti-Asian attitudes with legitamizing current liberal goals.

You are playing Henny Penny, in my opinion. The sky is not falling. Not on me anyway, so talk about the reality.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 11:45 am
@Foofie,
- Protecting Civil rights.
- Strong protections against workplace discrimination.
- Fair housing laws.
- Stronger penalties for people who commit hate crimes.

These are Democratic positions that are there to combat bigotry and directly benefit both Jewish and Japanese Americans right now.

I would add Voting Rights and Woman's reproductive rights and racial profiling and marriage equality to that list (but I will stick with the first four that are beyond argument).

There is a reason that a large majority of Jewish and Japanese voters vote for Democrats.
JTT

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 12:22 pm
Bookmark
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 12:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Wouldn't it be grand if the US war criminals and terrorists would do the same, Ed? Then the poor countries of the world would have a respite while the Dems were in office.

Sadly, no such luck.

A question, Ed. How is it that you can speak out so honestly and forthrightly on these issues but you remain largely silent of much worse international issues?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 06:14 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

- Protecting Civil rights.
- Strong protections against workplace discrimination.
- Fair housing laws.
- Stronger penalties for people who commit hate crimes.

These are Democratic positions that are there to combat bigotry and directly benefit both Jewish and Japanese Americans right now.

I would add Voting Rights and Woman's reproductive rights and racial profiling and marriage equality to that list (but I will stick with the first four that are beyond argument).

There is a reason that a large majority of Jewish and Japanese voters vote for Democrats.

http://intellectualconservative.com/index.php/no-race-has-a-monopoly

Since this history was not so far in the past, you seem to feel humans can all just evolve with a snap of a finger. I am more practical.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 08:29 pm
@Foofie,
It is not in the past Foofie, it is in the present.

As I keep pointing out to you, your hatred of Muslims is exactly the same as the hatred faced by your grandparents and mine. The slurs you throw toward Muslims and Latinos today are exactly the same as the slurs hurled toward Jewish Americans not that long ago.

Fortunately there were people in our grandparents' generation who stood up to the hatred and fought for the rights of the people facing these slurs. Our country is a better place now for Jewish Americans, and many others, because of that.

I feel the obligation to do the same now. Joining in on the side of bigotry is a betrayal of the sacrifices and perseverence of previous generations.

mysteryman

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 03:53 am
@maxdancona,

Quote:
If the rules were fair, than I wouldn't feel the need to change them

Except when you change the rules to make them "fair" for one group, another group comes along and claims the rules are "unfair" to them.
So, you have to change the rules to suit them.

The best way to do it is either have no rules at all, or leave them the way you wrote them and let everyone learn to work within the rules.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 05:45 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
The best way to do it is either have no rules at all, or leave them the way you wrote them and let everyone learn to work within the rules.

Think about what you are saying Mysteryman.

In the 1950's the rules were segregation. Black people couldn't go to the same (good) schools as white kids. People couldn't buy houses in good neighborhoods if they were Jewish. Women couldn't get a good job and could be harassed if they were in any professional setting. And Asians were excluded by a law whose official name was the "Asian exclusion act".

Do you really think that "leave the rules the way you wrote them and let everyone learn to work with the rules" is a workable policy?

One of the strengths of democracy is that we can change the rules to make them more fair.

parados

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 06:55 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
The advantage that whites have is willing to use the capitalistic system to their advantage.

Wow! Talk about not having any sense of history.

If only the minorities had the sense to use the capitalistic system to be born white, rich and male like Foofie did.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 07:00 am
@parados,
The irony is that Foofie's ancestors benefitted greatly from the civil rights movement and the laws that resulted. He is rather out of touch with his own heritage.
0 Replies