People who Drive Slow on the Freeway while doing Phone

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 05:43 am
@hawkeye10,
Is this still legal in America? Over here you'll get points on your licence and fined at the very least.
engineer

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 05:51 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

What I think is happening is that people are getting hammered with the message "phone while driving is dangerous", so they now slow down "just to be safe".......thus making themselves truly dangerous on the road.

I think it is inherent in the process. If you really pay attention to the phone call, you will stop monitoring your speed and slow down. I doubt anyone does it intentionally.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 05:55 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

So now anything that interferes with your Gawd Given Right to be a distracted operator of a motor vehicle that causes bodily injury on the public highways is the moral equivalent to the Taliban?

I think the point is that if you outlaw everything that anyone thinks is distracting, you won't have much left. No radio, no children, no food, etc. Everything can be done to excess but that doesn't mean "there should be a law."
ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 06:21 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

Speed control I have no problem with but I would like to get rid of the automatic transmission.

Any driver not coordinated enough to move their left foot and their right hand simultaneously isn't coordinated to operate a moving vehicle at high speed on public highways.

Rap

that's been my opinion for a long time

can't drive manual? you don't actually know how to drive
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 06:22 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

raprap wrote:
Speed control I have no problem with but I would like to get rid of the automatic transmission.

Hold on, full stop. Having to shift manually would tend to distract a driver, while the automatic transmission would allow them to focus completely on the road.

not at all. driving standard gives you much better awareness of the car and road - if shifting distracts you, you're not ready to go on the road
ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 06:25 am
@engineer,
There is a general distracted driving law in Ontario - works pretty nicely. Distracted by spilling coffee/out of control kids/pets/dropped food? You can be fined. Caused an accident while distracted - you can be charged.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 06:48 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Is this still legal in America? Over here you'll get points on your licence and fined at the very least.

You can't carry knives over there either, right?
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 06:48 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
not at all. driving standard gives you much better awareness of the car and road - if shifting distracts you, you're not ready to go on the road

Nope, it's not safe. Driving with standard means you need to think to engage the clutch and shift gears ... and you have to think which way you're shifting, up or down. I don't think that's safe, all that thinking while driving.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 06:49 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
There is a general distracted driving law in Ontario - works pretty nicely. Distracted by spilling coffee/out of control kids/pets/dropped food? You can be fined.

How on earth is that enforced?

Quote:
Caused an accident while distracted - you can be charged.

That's true whether or not you were "distracted," and whether or not that law exists, right?
engineer

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 07:14 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

There is a general distracted driving law in Ontario - works pretty nicely. Distracted by spilling coffee/out of control kids/pets/dropped food? You can be fined. Caused an accident while distracted - you can be charged.

I like that law. If you can handle it, fine. If you can't you are responsible for your mistakes. That makes sense.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 07:36 am
@Ticomaya,
That's one of the reasons the homicide rate is so low compared with where you are.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 08:16 am
@izzythepush,
Is that also why you drink so much more than we do?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 08:18 am
@Ticomaya,
No, it's because we can take it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 09:32 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

ehBeth wrote:
There is a general distracted driving law in Ontario - works pretty nicely. Distracted by spilling coffee/out of control kids/pets/dropped food? You can be fined.

Well, the police take statements from you and any witnesses. And they can check your cell phone to see if you were using it when the accident happened.
[/quote]
Quote:
Caused an accident while distracted - you can be charged.

That's true whether or not you were "distracted," and whether or not that law exists, right?
[/quote]

No... you're not necessarily charged if you cause an accident, but you are if it was reckless driving (for example) and now distracted driving.

We have the same laws here in Alberta but I still see people driving while on the phone. Holding the phone with one hand, not using a headset. That's the only time I think driving a manual would be more dangerous than driving an automatic. I prefer standard cars and I think ehBeth is right - you're more engaged in the driving experience. And shifting becomes automatic (excuse the pun) very quickly so you don't even think about it, you just do it.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 10:50 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Well, the police take statements from you and any witnesses. And they can check your cell phone to see if you were using it when the accident happened.

I was referring to a situation if there was no accident. It's not as if a cop is going to pull you over because he thinks you just spilled coffee in his/her lap, or dropped some food, right?

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 04:16 pm
@raprap,
I agree 100 per cent. Except I had to call my BIL the other day and he was driving. Glad he answered and backtracked to help me. Plus wouldn't people just be checking voicemail. But, overall I agree it would be a good thing. Talking while driving is probably a constitutional right though.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 04:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
We can get rid of 35,000 avoidable deaths.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 04:29 pm
I see people driving poorly while on the cell phone all the time. I come to the conclusion that driver training and much tougher licensing tests are the sensible answer. I don't think people know enough to get out of the left lane if not passing. They think its their right and no one with authority told them different. Getting a license is much too easy. Harder tests, both written and behind the wheel, and repeat every five years.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 05:38 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:
I see people driving poorly while on the cell phone all the time.

I see people driving poorly while NOT on a cell phone, all the time.
IRFRANK

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2013 06:00 pm
@Ticomaya,
Exactly
0 Replies