EU's Hostile Fixation on Israeli Settlements

Moment-in-Time

Sun 28 Jul, 2013 12:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

MiT, I have the same reaction to Advocate; I don't mind exchanging ideas with him. I find him cordial most of the time, and that's saying something - especially on a2k.

You know, CI, there will always be posters who rub us the wrong way, with whom we disagree, passionately, but that doesn't necessarily turn me against them. What disturbs me most is when I'm called "LIAR" by a mentally challenged poster who believe they're the smartest individual on the planet.

Advocate does not disturb me at all and strangely enough, I like him. He probably thinks I'm the devil in disguise the way I continually criticize Israel, but the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is of great interest to me, especially, but I have an interest also in Egypt, Syria and Lebanon.
cicerone imposter

Sun 28 Jul, 2013 12:59 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
My interest includes all cultures, and that's the reason I have traveled throughout this world having visited all five continents and over 190 countries (many repeats). I hated history in grade school, and now love it - and can't get enough of it. I also love visiting museums in most countries I visit. One of the best museums in this world is the British Museum in London; they have "everything."

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 28 Jul, 2013 12:59 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
My interest includes all cultures, and that's the reason I have traveled throughout this world having visited all five continents and over 190 countries (many repeats). I hated history in grade school, and now love it - and can't get enough of it. I also love visiting museums in most countries I visit. One of the best museums in this world is the British Museum in London; they have "everything."

izzythepush

Sun 28 Jul, 2013 01:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Including chocolate mummies.
http://www.britishmuseumshoponline.org/content/ebiz/britishmuseumonlineshop/invt/z./b./L./cmcf79740/cmcf79740_master.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 28 Jul, 2013 01:32 pm
@Advocate,

cicerone imposter wrote:
You keep repeating that same refrain without any considerations for the Palestinians whose lands and property are being stolen, and with no legal rights.

The Palestinians are not having anything stolen from them.

cicerone imposter wrote:
Here's an English lesson for you to memorize the word "apartheid" and its meaning.

Cicerone Imposter is a Nazi and an anti-Semite.

cicerone imposter wrote:
This is Bethlehem, where the Palestinians live.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/P1010055-2.jpg

Nobody in their right mind would say that the Palestinians have equality with the Jews in Israel.

You are referring to Palestinians who live outside Israel (your picture is of a border fence). Of course non-citizens who live outside a country don't have the same rights as citizens who are living in their own homeland.

cicerone imposter wrote:
That's not only segregation at its worst, it looks more like a prison that limits their movement from one place to another.

Building a fence on your border to prevent illegal aliens from crossing into your country is hardly "segregation". Nor is it "like a prison".
cicerone imposter

Sun 28 Jul, 2013 01:41 pm
@oralloy,
Since when did Bethlehem become an independent state? That's funny, because no map of Israel shows it to be another country within it.
Advocate

Sun 28 Jul, 2013 06:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The Pals want those fences torn down. This, of course, will make it much easier for the Pals to blow up buses, pizza and bingo parlors, and otherwise murder Israeli civilians.

Remember, good fences make good neighbors. They have certainly been a great success in Southern California.
cicerone imposter

Sun 28 Jul, 2013 06:44 pm
@Advocate,
Your imagined fear only perpetuates the negative reaction from the Palestinians.

If you lost complete freedom to do as you please (check points all over Israel), your property stolen (proven over and over by international human rights organizations), and you're fenced into a prison (I took pictures of them in Israel), how would you react?

Please be honest in your answer.
Foofie

Sun 28 Jul, 2013 08:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

If you lost complete freedom to do as you please (check points all over Israel), your property stolen (proven over and over by international human rights organizations), and you're fenced into a prison (I took pictures of them in Israel), how would you react?

Please be honest in your answer.

I guess I would be claustrophobic, and want to migrate/immigrate to another country. Being an American meant that a prior generation gave up their birth place for the benefit of coming to the U.S. The fact is that Israel is a state and these other folks do not accept it. Perhaps, someone should leave, and in my opinion it won't be the Israelis, since Israel is the "end of the road," having learned how persona non grata they were in Europe after their two-thousand year sojourn there.

In my opinion, the Palestinean situation is just another neighborhood gentrifying with a demographic that the prior inhabitants just resent. It happens all the time in the U.S.

P.S. In your own youth you have told of being told to "go home." Now, while the U.S. was, at that time, a caucasian country in its majority, you and your family did not leave. That might be how the Israelis feel. Just because the majority of neighbors would like to see them disappear, they just won't leave. Do you see the analogy?
cicerone imposter

Sun 28 Jul, 2013 08:47 pm
@Foofie,
You're an idiot! Most Palestinians only know Palestine/Israel as their home.

They've lived there for many generations. You're like the whites during my childhood who used to tell me to "go back to your own country" when I'm third generation American. I know no other country as my home.

Only bigots believe as you do.
izzythepush

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

MiT, I have the same reaction to Advocate; I don't mind exchanging ideas with him. I find him cordial most of the time, and that's saying something - especially on a2k. Mr. Green

I disagree, while nobody takes an unthinking brute like Oralboy seriously Advocate is a lot more insidious. Don't you remember when Oralboy called all Palestinians vermin? Remember how Advocate refused to condemn that, and took forever to finally state that he didn't think all Palestinians were vermin.

He is a lot worse than Oralboy, he pretends to be reasonable on other matters but deep down he's the sort who would throw Palestinian babies into the furnaces. Unlike Oralboy who's clearly to stupid to understand what's going on, Advocate knows full well, and he approves.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:13 am
@Foofie,
Don't speak in broad generalisations Fluff, Fatah accepted Israel's right to exist a long time ago. Hamas' refusal is as much a rhetorical position as anything else, similar to Sinn Fein's insistence on a United Ireland. What's important is serious dialogue, and peace, if there's twenty years of peace Hamas won't want to jeopardise that for a mission statement.

Where would the Palestinians go? Who would take them?

Have you seen video footage of the settlers, they're fundamentalist, bigoted and unthinking, a far cry from the sophisticates you chink cocktail glasses with of an evening. Those people aren't gentrifying anything.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:35 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
Remember, good fences make good neighbors. They have certainly been a great success in Southern California.
Ah well, we Germans certainly do remember ... we had those fences (and additionally a wall) for some decades ... And they were successful, too: about 1,300 "bad neighbours" died when trying to surmount the fences and the wall.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 02:47 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
In my opinion, the Palestinean situation is just another neighborhood gentrifying with a demographic that the prior inhabitants just resent. It happens all the time in the U.S.
Actually, this realy is very similar: in the late 19th and early 20th century, European Jews want to colonise Palestine. And to promote the colonisation of Palestine, they founded so-called "Palestine Colonisation Offices"/"Palestine Colonisation Bureaus"/"Palestine Colonisation Associations" in many European towns and cities. (In Germany, they had additionally two publications for this purpose: "Palestina" ['Palestine'], a bi-monthly magazine [published from about 1900 until 1938], and "Palestina Nachrichten" ['Palestine News'] with two issues published per month from about 1920 until 1936.)
izzythepush

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 03:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Not just Jews, there was a substantial German population as well.

Quote:
Aged 14 at the time, Kurt was part of a Christian group called the Templers. He lived in a settlement in Jerusalem - the district still known as the German Colony today.

By the late 1940s though, the entire Templer community of seven settlements across Palestine had been deported, never to return.

They had landed two generations earlier, led by Christoph Hoffmann, a Protestant theologian from Ludwigsburg in Wuerttemberg, who believed the Second Coming of Christ could be hastened by building a spiritual Kingdom of God in the Holy Land.

Kurt's grandfather, Christian, was among several dozen people who joined Hoffmann in relocating from Germany to Haifa in Palestine in 1869.

Hoffmann had split from the Lutheran Evangelical Church in 1861, taking his cue from New Testament concepts of Christians as "temples" embodying God's spirit, and as a community acting together to build God's "temple" among mankind.

But building a community in what was then a neglected land was an immensely difficult endeavour. Much of the ground was swamp, malaria was rife and infant mortality was high.

"The Templers saw 'Zion' [Biblical synonym for Jerusalem and the Holy Land] as their second homeland," says David Kroyanker, author of The German Colony and Emek Refaim Street. "But it was like being on the moon - they came from a very developed country to nowhere."

In fact, the Templers arrived in Palestine more than a decade before the first large-scale immigration of Jewish Zionists, who fled there to escape destitution and pogroms in Russia - and in many ways they served as a model for the Jewish pioneers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22276494
Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 03:39 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Not just Jews, there was a substantial German population as well.
Indeed (more here, too: American-German Colony of Tel Aviv-Yafo).

I've read through quite some of the above mentioned Jewish papers.
Those emigrants really wanted to colonise Palestine n the truest sense of the word, similar to the early settlers in the USA.
They were complaining in the mid-20's about those thousands of fundless immigrants, who were a burden to others. (In 1926, more Jewish settlers emigrated from Palestine than immigrated ... the commentator in "Palestina" was glad about it, since they were "mittelose russische Aschkenasims" ['impoverished Russian Ashkenazims'].)
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 07:14 am

Heads Up!

Israeli-Palestinian Peace Talks For a Two State Solution Have Resumed!
Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 07:24 am
@oralloy,
What Haaretz wrote:
Quote:
...The Israeli government bumped into reality on Sunday. Like a drunk driver heading for a wall at full speed only to get a grip on himself at the last moment and hit the brakes, most government ministers came to their senses ...
izzythepush

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 07:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Nobody thinks for one second Oralboy wants peace in the Middle East, that would seriously interfere with his genocidal fantasies.
oralloy

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 08:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
What Haaretz wrote:
Quote:
...The Israeli government bumped into reality on Sunday. Like a drunk driver heading for a wall at full speed only to get a grip on himself at the last moment and hit the brakes, most government ministers came to their senses ...

Ummm, it has been the Palestinians who have been refusing to come to the negotiating table these past five years.