EU's Hostile Fixation on Israeli Settlements

Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 08:21 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
... No more than 50 protesters turned up for the demonstration on Sunday in front of the Prime Minister's office... The vast majority of demonstrators had crocheted skullcaps, and were identified with the right wing.

This demonstration, as with the rest of the campaign against freeing the prisoners, was organized by two right-wing organizations ...
Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 08:22 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Ummm, it has been the Palestinians who have been refusing to come to the negotiating table these past five years.
My quote is from an Israeli newspaper.
izzythepush

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 08:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Oralboy doesn't think, he just swallows the right wing settler movement's narrative as fact. He is not just dismissive towards Palestinians but towards Israelis who don't accept that narrative. He's as hostile towards B'Tselem as he is towards Haaretz, which is why it's clear he's not at all interested in peace.

Advocate similarly inclined towards Israeli voices of reason, siding with the expansionist right wing every time.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 08:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Ummm, it has been the Palestinians who have been refusing to come to the negotiating table these past five years.

My quote is from an Israeli newspaper.

So? That's not going to stop me from pointing out the truth.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 08:58 am
@oralloy,
You really are the reincarnation of Isaiah 40:3 ...
cicerone imposter

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 09:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
That's interesting about the Germans in Israel, because there's also a German colony in Haifa. A small group of us went to a restaurant there, and had a couple of beers. The colony is situated right below the Bahai Temple.

I took this picture in 2012 when we were there on the top of the hill looking down on the Bahai temple. The street right below it to our ship is the German colony.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/20131JANCubaA2012-10-27036.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 09:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
You really are the reincarnation of Isaiah 40:3 ...

http://www.usccb.org/bible/isaiah/40

A voice proclaims:
In the wilderness prepare the way of the LORD!
Make straight in the wasteland a highway for our God!

Ummm, OK....?

What I am is someone who always tells the truth. However that relates to your Bible readings I couldn't say.
JTT

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 09:55 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
What I am is someone who always tells the truth.

You even lie about lying, Oralboy.
0 Replies

Foofie

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:31 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You're an idiot! Most Palestinians only know Palestine/Israel as their home.

They've lived there for many generations. You're like the whites during my childhood who used to tell me to "go back to your own country" when I'm third generation American. I know no other country as my home.

Only bigots believe as you do.

I thought you once said that your grandparents came to the U.S. around 1898. If that is true, you are only second generation American. One starts counting from the generation born in the U.S. (like being a "Yankee" means the third generation born in the U.S.).

Similarly, Israelis might be in Israel fewer generations than the Palestineans. So, doing a simple ratio, Israelis are to Palestineans, as Japanese-Americans are to American WASP's.

My point stands. Your family had no reason to return to Japan, and Israelis have no reason to return to Europe. However, if one is suffering from claustrophobia in Israel/Palestine, the Israelis really are not going to let Europe vent their anti-Semitism a second time. Perhaps, the Palestineans as "the other" Semites should try their hand in Europe, to see if Europeans can be more hospitable than they were to Jews?
Foofie

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:37 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Where would the Palestinians go? Who would take them?

Have you seen video footage of the settlers, they're fundamentalist, bigoted and unthinking, a far cry from the sophisticates you chink cocktail glasses with of an evening. Those people aren't gentrifying anything.

The Palestineans could become Europeans. I do believe continental Europe deserves a second chance to be hospitable to Semites without having a Holocaust.

The settlers I thought tend to be the newer arrivals. They are Orthodox and that is not fundamentalist, unless you think Reform or secular Judaism is the correct version of Judaism. And, I do not socialize as you might image me doing. I live in a small world.
Foofie

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
In my opinion, the Palestinean situation is just another neighborhood gentrifying with a demographic that the prior inhabitants just resent. It happens all the time in the U.S.
Actually, this realy is very similar: in the late 19th and early 20th century, European Jews want to colonise Palestine. And to promote the colonisation of Palestine, they founded so-called "Palestine Colonisation Offices"/"Palestine Colonisation Bureaus"/"Palestine Colonisation Associations" in many European towns and cities. (In Germany, they had additionally two publications for this purpose: "Palestina" ['Palestine'], a bi-monthly magazine [published from about 1900 until 1938], and "Palestina Nachrichten" ['Palestine News'] with two issues published per month from about 1920 until 1936.)

It was all under the main heading of "Zionism." That being the movement to return to Israel, since the belief was that European (aka, Christian) anti-Semitism was well learned during its two millenia learning curve, and the only place that Jews could live without anti-Semitism would be in their own homeland. So, the concept of returning to Zion was born.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionism
The use of words that imply colonization do have a pejorative connotation to many. That being said, it might not have been palatable to use wording for the organizations you mention, since anything "smacking" of Judaism was inviting hostility, in my opinion.

Naturally, Jews being so few in number, relatively speaking, they could not claim that returning to Zion had an impetus based on "lebensraum." Nor, could they "march" into the "Sudetenland" to reclaim a Jewish ethnic area.

Shouldn't you be getting ready for Oktoberfest?

Foofie

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 12:01 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Not just Jews, there was a substantial German population as well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Zionists

In my opinion, those of a Catholic background tend to ignore this tsunami of support (60 million in the U.S. and tens of millions in South America).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 12:09 pm
@Foofie,
No, it was 1896 (close enough), and you completely miss how generations in countries work. My grandfather was the first generation, my father the second, and.....

The population of Japanese in America is the smallest Asian group. Additionally, most of our children are marrying across race and ethnic lines, so Japanese as a race in America will decrease substantially.
Foofie

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 12:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

No, it was 1896 (close enough), and you completely miss how generations in countries work. My grandfather was the first generation, my father the second, and.....

Similar to claiming that one is a Yankee, one must start counting from the first generation that was born in the U.S. The generation that emigrated is not counted for purposes of claiming that one is a Yankee. Not important to one on the west coast, perhaps, but is still something to claim out east, in my opinion.
cicerone imposter

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 12:19 pm
@Foofie,
Even if they become US citizens? Many who migrate to the US can become US citiens. Where did you learn civics?

From Wiki.
Quote:
In the United States, among demographers and other social scientists, the term "first generation" is used to refer to foreign-born residents (excluding those born abroad of U.S. parents).[1]
Foofie

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 12:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Even if they become US citizens? Many who migrate to the US can become US citiens. Where did you learn civics?

Who are you referring to?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 12:25 pm
@Foofie,
You've got a lot more room in America than we have in Britain, 256 people per km2 compared to the States with a measly 33.9, you've got a lot of catching up to do. The Holocaust never happened over here, we took a lot of Jews in.

Quote:
Kindertransport (Children's Transport) was the informal name of a series of rescue efforts which brought thousands of refugee Jewish children to Great Britain from Nazi Germany between 1938 and 1940.

http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005260

Unlike America where you sent them back to their deaths.

Quote:
The MS St. Louis was a German ocean liner most notable for a single voyage in 1939, in which her captain, Gustav Schröder, tried to find homes for 937 German Jewish refugees after they were denied entry to Cuba, the United States and Canada, until finally accepted to various countries of Europe. Historians have estimated that, after their return to Europe, approximately a quarter of the ship's passengers died in concentration camps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis
Advocate

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 01:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
You, like many other non-Jews, make too much of the word "zionism."

Definition of ZIONISM
: an international movement originally for the establishment of a Jewish national or religious community in Palestine and later for the support of modern Israel

-- Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 01:44 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

The use of words that imply colonization do have a pejorative connotation to many. That being said, it might not have been palatable to use wording for the organizations you mention, since anything "smacking" of Judaism was inviting hostility, in my opinion.

Naturally, Jews being so few in number, relatively speaking, they could not claim that returning to Zion had an impetus based on "lebensraum." Nor, could they "march" into the "Sudetenland" to reclaim a Jewish ethnic area.

In my opinion - and here I'm just referring to the situation in Germany - 'colonisation' was meant in the exactly meaning of the use of this word, like in "Colony South-West Africa".
It might have developped from Zionism, but it actually referred to more than Palestine.

From the "Enquête über die jüdische Orient-Kolonisation" in "Palästina" (1, 1902, pages 12 et seqq.,)
Quote:
http://i42.tinypic.com/33nu58n.jpg

The colonisation wasn't focused to Palestine, but other countries in the 'orient' were possible as well; it was questioned, if only German Jews should colonise or if it was possible that other Jews could immigrate (sic!). The next passages are about economic, monetary, geographic, political .... questions.

That region, which was called "Sudentenland" was "inhabited by mostly German speakers, specifically the border districts of Bohemia, Moravia, and those parts of Silesia located within Czechoslovakia"
Quote:
Sudetenland[/url]

In the same issue of the "Palestina" the (Jewish) daily newspaper "Prager Tageblatt" is quoted (on page 44). According to that article, the "Prager Tageblatt" wrote on 2.11. 1901 that during the last 20 years, 20 villages and 13 plantations were built by colonists in Palestine. All stone buildings were built according to European standards, now 1,205 families with 4,935 souls lived there. They were Jews from Russia.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 29 Jul, 2013 01:45 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Shouldn't you be getting ready for Oktoberfest?

The earliest Oktoberfest start at the end of September.
I neither live in Bavaria nor do I drink.

But thanks for thinking about my welfare.
0 Replies