"STAND YOUR GROUND"--IS IT A GOOD LAW??

hawkeye10

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 01:53 am
@hawkeye10,
"I think Martha was a witch who was going to sic the devil on people, so I killed her....you all are fine with that, right?"
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 05:22 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

When you are confronted by facts, it is rather poor form for you to retreat to the use of ad hominem lies

JESUS but youre delusional. First you accusd Martin of "he could have been high"

Then , when confronted by a question for any facts you retreat to
"I said he was preparing to get high"
So in your fall back position, he was NIT HIGH?
And you are trying to mount a mound of truth and evidence?
Such statements wooulda been torn to shreds by a first year student in trial procedure.

Where in evidence did it say ANYWHERE that Martin was on drugs at the time of his murder by Zimmerman?
That's all IA skd for. I didn't need a whole series of serratim rebuts as "run and cover" when you cant supply the simple answer.
A simple "Im not sure about what I said" would have saved precious bytes.
farmerman

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 05:40 am
@farmerman,
I think oral got himself caught in a bit of prevarication, so in order to duck and cover, so he is calling me the liar .(All I did was to question where he came up with the bold statement that Martin was high?)

As far as an autopsy drug screening, you can look up what a GC MS does (Im not in the mood to make a chemistry lesson out of this)

Dex is an artificial coeine which is a form of methylmorphine. SO a tox screen would pick up "Precursors" as indicators (Since the chemistry of one results in the same print on the GCMS as does the other), In other words, if you found methylmorphine or morphine, you had the makings of several "Illegal drugs" including Dex (or DXM as theyd list it in a tox screen)

I cant believe they wouldn't do such a screen because the Prosecution didn't seem to have spared any money getting as far as it did. Neither did the defense.
Yet, there seems to be no real evidence (Pardon me if I dismiss your "He was potentially high at the time")whether MArtin was or was not a druggy .
izzythepush

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 05:42 am
@farmerman,
He has a point though, you can't disprove any facts he's posted, because he hasn't posted any facts.
farmerman

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 05:42 am
@Brandon9000,
sounds like that movie with Cruise "Majority Opinion" about :precognitives"
farmerman

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 05:46 am
@izzythepush,
that's why he must" live in a special world where clouds are blue and skies are white" (Bob Ross RIP)
izzythepush

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 05:55 am
@farmerman,
The word special seems quite apt.
0 Replies

parados

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 09:36 am
@farmerman,
They did a tox screen of Martin. That is how they found marijuana in his system. There was a legal tussle over whether that should be allowed in as evidence.

Somehow Oralloy and Gunga want to argue that this tox screen couldn't detect other drugs that they seem to think Martin used or was actually on at the time of his death.
Brandon9000

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 09:42 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I can kill you if I think you might commit a felony, and you are OK with that??!! Damn, death row appeals take at least a decade, this is sure faster!

It refers to a reasonable belief in an the imminent commission of a forcible felony. According to the law, a reasonable person would conclude that a felony using violence was to be committed immediately. If you're going to discuss it, discuss that, because that's what the law says. It does not permit a crackpot to shoot someone for a vague notion that a felony might be committed sometime, which is what you seem to be falsely implying.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 09:45 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

sounds like that movie with Cruise "Majority Opinion" about :precognitives"

You probably mean "The Minority Report." It doesn't sound like it because the law says that in order to be acceptable, there has to be a reasonable belief in the imminent commission of a violent felony. Why do you feel you need to omit "reasonable," "imminent," and "forcible/violent?"
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 10:30 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
oralloy wrote:
When you are confronted by facts, it is rather poor form for you to retreat to the use of ad hominem lies.

JESUS but youre delusional.

Feel free to cite even one fact that I'm wrong about.

farmerman wrote:
First you accusd Martin of "he could have been high"

I did speculate that he could have been high when he assaulted Mr. Zimmerman.

The characterization of that as an "accusation" comes from you.

farmerman wrote:
Then , when confronted by a question for any facts you retreat to
"I said he was preparing to get high"

No, I've not retreated even a bit.

I said from the start that Trayvon was preparing to get high (and high on extremely deranged drugs to boot). And I provided evidence to back that accusation up.

farmerman wrote:
So in your fall back position, he was NIT HIGH?

I have no fallback position. First, since my current position is based on actual facts, I am confident that it could weather any challenge, should such a challenge ever be made.

I also do not regard your somewhat hysterical ad hominem lies about me to be any sort of challenge to my position.

But I'm confident that my position is secure should a real challenge be mounted.

farmerman wrote:
And you are trying to mount a mound of truth and evidence?

I've certainly provided a mound of truth and evidence.

I'm not sure how the climbing metaphors work, so can't comment on that part.

farmerman wrote:
Such statements wooulda been torn to shreds by a first year student in trial procedure.

Well, I'm sure such a student would have addressed the facts instead of resorting to ad hominem lies about me.

But I am confident that my position will hold if anyone were to choose to address my facts.

farmerman wrote:
Where in evidence did it say ANYWHERE that Martin was on drugs at the time of his murder by Zimmerman?

Even if this had been an illegal killing, it would have been manslaughter instead of murder.

And this was clearly justified self defense, and so was not a crime at all.

farmerman wrote:
That's all IA skd for. I didn't need a whole series of serratim rebuts as "run and cover" when you cant supply the simple answer.

I provided direct and straightforward answers to everything you said.

If you didn't need a bunch of answers to a wide-ranging variety of nonsense, then you shouldn't have peppered your post with a wide-ranging variety of nonsense.

farmerman wrote:
A simple "Im not sure about what I said" would have saved precious bytes.

That would have been untrue though. I knew exactly what I said.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 10:31 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I think oral got himself caught in a bit of prevarication, so in order to duck and cover, so he is calling me the liar.

Well first, let's see you try to find a single statement from me that is even untrue.

Then, if you ever manage to find an untrue statement from me, we can start working on whether it was a lie.

farmerman wrote:
(All I did was to question where he came up with the bold statement that Martin was high?)

Feel free to cite any comment from me that says Trayvon was high at the time he was killed.

farmerman wrote:
Dex is an artificial coeine which is a form of methylmorphine.

Stop making things up. Dextromethorphan has absolutely no relation to Codeine whatsoever.

Codeine is a narcotic painkiller. Any artificial replacement for Codeine will also be a narcotic painkiller.

Dextromethorphan is a dissociative hallucinogenic that is nearly identical in in effect to PCP/Angel Dust (thus its street name "Poor Man's PCP").

farmerman wrote:
SO a tox screen would pick up "Precursors" as indicators (Since the chemistry of one results in the same print on the GCMS as does the other), In other words, if you found methylmorphine or morphine, you had the makings of several "Illegal drugs" including Dex (or DXM as theyd list it in a tox screen)

A precursor is something a chemical is made FROM in the laboratory that is making it. I presume that you are using the wrong term and are trying to refer to substances that a drug is broken down into once it hits the liver.

As noted above though, Dextromethorphan is not in any way similar to Codeine, your untrue claim notwithstanding.

farmerman wrote:
Yet, there seems to be no real evidence (Pardon me if I dismiss your "He was potentially high at the time")whether MArtin was or was not a druggy.

Sure there is. He made those on-line postings about trying to achieve higher doses of Dextromethorphan.
0 Replies

oralloy

@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
that's why he must" live in a special world where clouds are blue and skies are white" (Bob Ross RIP)

I'll assume this is aimed at me.

Let's see if you can cite a single fact that I'm wrong about.
0 Replies

oralloy

@parados,
parados wrote:
Somehow Oralloy and Gunga want to argue that this tox screen couldn't detect other drugs that they seem to think Martin used or was actually on at the time of his death.

Nonsense. Where did I ever argue that it couldn't?

All I've done is ask if anyone knows whether the tox screening did cover Dextromethorphan?

Clearly the answer to my question is: "No. No one on a2k has this information."
edgarblythe

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 10:32 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I guess I could make up a ridiculous reason to knock off a jewelry store and hope that I wouldn't be convicted, but it doesn't sound likely to work. Typically, making up a ridiculous reason to kill someone or to commit any crime doesn't help the perpetrator. The district attorney's office first has to agree that the killing was justifiable and not bring charges. This law merely allows people to defend themselves or others when they actually need to, and that's the way it's phrased. What's the alternative - people in grave danger have to fear the consequences of trying to preserve their lives?

It sounds reasonable to the fearful among us, but such laws tend to favor the shooter in actual practice, regardless of the true facts, as in Martin/Zimmerman.
Brandon9000

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 11:05 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

I guess I could make up a ridiculous reason to knock off a jewelry store and hope that I wouldn't be convicted, but it doesn't sound likely to work. Typically, making up a ridiculous reason to kill someone or to commit any crime doesn't help the perpetrator. The district attorney's office first has to agree that the killing was justifiable and not bring charges. This law merely allows people to defend themselves or others when they actually need to, and that's the way it's phrased. What's the alternative - people in grave danger have to fear the consequences of trying to preserve their lives?

It sounds reasonable to the fearful among us, but such laws tend to favor the shooter in actual practice, regardless of the true facts, as in Martin/Zimmerman.

How did the laws favor Zimmerman again???
oralloy

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 11:06 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
It sounds reasonable to the fearful among us, but such laws tend to favor the shooter in actual practice, regardless of the true facts,

The NRA is not going to allow you to violate our rights. No matter how desperately you hate our freedom, the NRA is going to protect us from you.
farmerman

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 11:09 am
@oralloy,
as far as I know, the NRA has not constitutional powers . Its a LOBBY for manufacturers of guns. You are just one of the collaterals drawn into its umbrella of influence.
Rockhead

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 11:09 am
@oralloy,
nobody here hates your freedom.

just your rhetoric and schoolgirl arguing style...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 4 Aug, 2013 11:11 am
@Brandon9000,
He was the one that survived to tell the story.