"STAND YOUR GROUND"--IS IT A GOOD LAW??

JPB

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:02 am
@panzade,
That's BS and everyone knows it. "They" didn't write the law. It's an ALEC law written on behalf of the NRA to increase gun sales. Once it passed in FL it was shot-gunned (pun intended) around to all of the other Republican controlled legislatures and rammed through state by state. Always follow the money!

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/03/21/alec-has-pushed-the-nras-stand-your-ground-law/186459
ehBeth

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 09:16 am
@DoctorGotz,
DoctorGotz wrote:
My bet is that the number of people killed who didn't deserve a violent end is very small.

how much of your real money would you be willing to put on that bet?
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 09:50 am
@JPB,
e have a SYG law in Pa but the twist is that you may use deadly force only if threatened by a person who is similarly ARMED. Zimmerman woulda been convicted of something in Pa.
Fla, Tx, and La's laws are just flat crazy and un-American.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 09:54 am
When you're a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:05 pm
"Before the incident where Trayvon Martin was murdered"

you got the most important part right anyways...
0 Replies

Ceili

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:11 pm
No because the system worked. The perp was caught. And nobody died.
Secondly... the perp was caught. Presumably he wasn't a threat any longer.
Thirdly, how does your hero know it was his suspicious character that was caught?
4. The first crime wasn't violent. Zimmerman's was. He shot an unarmed teenager.
5. Should we all walk on eggshells because paranoid gun freaks walk among us?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:19 pm
If Trayvon had carried a gun and stood his ground by killing Zimmerman I bet he would have been convicted of murder. It was a lose/lose situation.
McGentrix

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:31 pm
What is the reason the Stand Your Ground laws was enacted to start? Have those reasons changed or been done away with?

Seems those things should be addressed.
oralloy

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:32 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I can predict what some of us would say but Id like to hear you verbalize your reasons for support or rejection of the law itself.

Why? You clearly have no interest in facts or the truth.

Instead of wasting my breath, how about I just give the Left a warning:

Your recent attempt to destroy American freedom led to Obama wasting every bit of his political capital in a fruitless tantrum about the NRA, leaving him a do-nothing president for the next few years, and handing the White House to the Republicans in 2016.

If you guys expand on your failure by making yet another attempt to violate this nation's freedom, you will get stomped on so hard come election day that it will likely be decades before you recover any sort of political power.
Rockhead

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:32 pm
@McGentrix,
NRA pressure and lobbying?
Rockhead

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:33 pm
@oralloy,
OK.

goodbye now...
JTT

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:35 pm
@Rockhead,
Give 'im both barrels, Rock!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:37 pm
I don't recall ordering canadian cheerleaders.

I guess I must have...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:41 pm
@McGentrix,
http://able2know.org/topic/218540-3#post-5391234
roger

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 07:45 pm
Ya know, if it weren't for the spam addresses in your sig line, I wouldn't be reporting this post.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:05 pm
@ehBeth,

Doesn't really address the reasons why people felt something like the Stand Your Ground law needed to be made legal. It's not just the NRA pushing an agenda. That's a silly thing to say. The NRA are proponents of the second amendment... you know, from the Constitution and all.

Florida is full of old people. It's America's retirement community. Old people can't defend themselves. Do we expect them to just be victims? Does crime not take place in Florida? The people of Florida decided they wanted the laws they have, or kind of anyways. If people do not like it, or decide they can't tolerate it, they can vote for change.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:06 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

NRA pressure and lobbying?

That's it? That's why? Nothing at all about people not wanting to be victims?
edgarblythe

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:07 pm
But Stand Your Ground is not exclusive to Florida.
McGentrix

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

But Stand Your Ground is not exclusive to Florida.

Very true. Good thing too.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:09 pm
@McGentrix,
victims of fearful gun toting unstable folks hiding behind a silly law?

no.