AMERICANS JOLTED BY IRAQ ATROCITIES

Titus

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 11:25 am
"I find that many people attempt to win arguments in which they are wrong by changing the subject......" Brandon

Exactly what you do on most topics. :wink:
[/color]
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 11:27 am
Titus wrote:
"I find that many people attempt to win arguments in which they are wrong by changing the subject......" Brandon

[/color]

Well, it appears Brandon hit the nail on the head.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 11:28 am
Titus wrote:

[/color]

Rather than allow you to change the subject, I request yet again that you support with evidence your contention that the US military is targetting civilians for murder. However you attempt to obfuscate the issue, if you ignore repeated requests to back up what you have said, it should be clear to everyone that you simply cannot.
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:08 am
"Rather than allow you to change the subject, I request yet again that you support with evidence your contention that the US military is targetting civilians for murder. However you attempt to obfuscate the issue, if you ignore repeated requests to back up what you have said, it should be clear to everyone that you simply cannot." BRANDON

Your problem is you inhabit a provincial mindset that prevents you from seeing both sides of the equation.

Not uncommon with Bush loyalists who scratch their heads in collective disbelief that Iraqis don't view US troops as liberators and resent being occupied by a foreign nation.

It's easy to imagine Bush loyalists like yourself shaking their heads and muttering, "Why doesn't everyone understand Bush is offering the Iraqis democracy? If a few thousand innocent Iraqis must die in the process, so what?"
[/color]
0 Replies

Titus

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:11 am
"Rather than allow you to change the subject, I request yet again that you support with evidence your contention that the US military is targetting civilians for murder. However you attempt to obfuscate the issue, if you ignore repeated requests to back up what you have said, it should be clear to everyone that you simply cannot." BRANDON

Your problem is you inhabit a provincial mindset that prevents you from seeing both sides of the equation.

Not uncommon with Bush loyalists who scratch their heads in collective disbelief that Iraqis don't view US troops as liberators and resent being occupied by a foreign nation.

It's easy to imagine Bush loyalists like yourself shaking their heads and muttering, "Why doesn't everyone understand Bush is offering the Iraqis democracy? If a few thousand innocent Iraqis must die in the process, so what?"

This fantasy has been undermined by the reality of the reception U.S. troops seen inrecent weeks. It is delusional to think that America, which had launched a war and countless additional bombing raids on Iraq over the past decade, plus an economic embargo that killed a million or more Iraqis, would be welcomed with unreserved adoration.
[/color]
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 07:50 am
So, because a minority (and a small minority at that) of Iraqi's are upset because they will no longer be living the charmed life they were under Saddam we should do what? Run away?

You seem to be under the impression that EVERY Iraqi is anti-US and that's just not the case. Outside the major metropolitan areas, life has resumed pretty well. More people have water and electricity now than they did before the invasion. Markets are open and employment is improving.

It is shameful that the few "bad" clerics are trying to incite the populace, but eventually all of them will learn that running into an M1A1 headfirst will not get you anywhere...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:26 am
Still living your war fantasies vicariously through the lives (or should I say deaths) of strangers huh McGentrix? What a guy......
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 08:46 am
Titus wrote:

This fantasy has been undermined by the reality of the reception U.S. troops seen inrecent weeks. It is delusional to think that America, which had launched a war and countless additional bombing raids on Iraq over the past decade, plus an economic embargo that killed a million or more Iraqis, would be welcomed with unreserved adoration.
[/color]

You have asserted that the US is targetting civilians. This is a terribly serious charge. I have asked you several times now to support your statement with evidence. Every time I do, you try to change the subject. Despite all your attempts to becloud the issues, the obvious conclusion is that you've been making a lot of false staments and lack the integrity to admit that you have no evidence to support them.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:11 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Titus wrote:

[/color]

You have asserted that the US is targetting civilians. This is a terribly serious charge. I have asked you several times now to support your statement with evidence. Every time I do, you try to change the subject. Despite all your attempts to becloud the issues, the obvious conclusion is that you've been making a lot of false statements and lack the integrity to admit that you have no evidence to support them.

You have chosen to attach the word purposely to Titus' statement.

This is your perception

The fact that civilians have been targetted along with military is irrefutable, whether purposeful or not. So many of them are after all blown to bits. You have caught that on the news, right?
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:21 am
Brandon,
C.I. posted a link( in US , UN, and Iraq topic I think), that the Coalition bombed a mosque compound where nearly a hundred worshipers were known to be. The article says they were careful to bomb the compound (all around) but not the main building.
It is MY PERCEPTION that they could not care LESS how many Iraqi civilians they killed. If that is not 'targeting' innocents, I do not know how you would characterize it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:22 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Titus wrote:

[/color]

You have asserted that the US is targetting civilians. This is a terribly serious charge. I have asked you several times now to support your statement with evidence. Every time I do, you try to change the subject. Despite all your attempts to becloud the issues, the obvious conclusion is that you've been making a lot of false statements and lack the integrity to admit that you have no evidence to support them.

This is your perception

The fact that civilians have been targetted along with military is irrefutable, whether purposeful or not. So many of them are after all blown to bits. You have caught that on the news, right?

The word "targetting" means that it's purposeful. If the fact that the US is targetting civilians is "irrefutable," then why do you guys refuse to give a shred of evidence to support it? There should be all kinds of evidence to support things that are "irrefutable."
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:29 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Titus wrote:

[/color]

This is your perception

The word "targetting" means that it's purposeful. If the fact that the US is targetting civilians is "irrefutable," then why do you guys refuse to give a shred of evidence to support it? There should be all kinds of evidence to support things that are "irrefutable."

Do you really believe that every civilian casualty has been a surprise to coalition forces? Are you actually stating that you do not believe that when the military plans attacks or drops bombs on military targets that they don't realize there will be some civilian deaths as well?

The civilians are part of the target. The military knows this and even admits it, even if you won't. Pains may or may not be taken to minimize these civilian casualties but they are an acceptable fact of life to our military, our administration and our strategies.

As for proof, what more proof do you need than the film on tv, pictures in the media and statistics coming from our own government?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:33 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Do you really believe that every civilian casualty has been a surprise to coalition forces? Are you actually stating that you do not believe that when the military plans attacks or drops bombs on military targets that they don't realize there will be some civilian deaths as well?

The civilians are part of the target. The military knows this and even admits it, even if you won't. Pains may or may not be taken to minimize these civilian casualties but they are an acceptable fact of life to our military, our administration and our strategies.

As for proof, what more proof do you need than the film on tv, pictures in the media and statistics coming from our own government?

I completely agree with you that the military knows that civilians will often die during their operations, just as every military has known it in modern times. That, however, is not what "targetting civilians" means.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:35 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I completely agree with you that the military knows that civilians will often die during their operations, just as every military has known it in modern times. That, however, is not what "targetting civilians" means.

Now who won't admit they're wrong? Are we then to argue the meaning of targetting ad nauseum? How Clintonesque of you. :wink:
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:39 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Now who won't admit they're wrong? Are we then to argue the meaning of targetting ad nauseum? How Clintonesque of you. :wink:

This is kind of obvious, but 9/11, now that's an example of targetting civilians. Strapping a bomb to your waist and blowing yourself up in a discotheque, that's targetting civilians. Throwing Leon Klinghoffer and his wheel chair over the side of a ship, that's targetting civilians. Knowing that civilians inevitably die in war is simply not targetting. If by targetting, Titus only meant to imply that every army knows there will be some civilian deaths, then I have no argument with it except that it's a very poor choice of words. I doubt that's what he meant, though, with the quotation he gave.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:44 am
Yes 9/11 is a great example of targetting civilians. When do you think bush will have enough payback to satisfy himself?

Do you have any ideas on that subject? Something specific?

Not "When the world is safe from terrorism" because that is never going to happen.

You see, a great many countries think we are terrorists and I can assure you that their terrorists don't give a rat's ass what we think just as we don't give a rat's ass if they perceive us as terrorists.

You see the problem here?

Goes back to that perception thing.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:45 am
btw I just changed the subject and sidetracked you for an entire page.

never say never. Razz Razz
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:47 am
They just bombed a mosque killing 40 people...Oh man, this is just not looking good....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:48 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
btw I just changed the subject and sidetracked you for an entire page.

never say never. Razz Razz

Well, anyway, I'd still like to see some evidence that we targetted civilians.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 09:59 am
Main Entry: 1tar·get
Pronunciation: 'tär-g&t
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French targette, diminutive of targe light shield, of Germanic origin; akin to Old Norse targa shield
1 : a small round shield
2 a : a mark to shoot at b : a target marked by shots fired at it c : something or someone fired at or marked for attack d : a goal to be achieved
3 a : an object of ridicule or criticism b : something or someone to be affected by an action or development
4 a : a railroad day signal that is attached to a switch stand and indicates whether the switch is open or closed b : a sliding sight on a surveyor's leveling rod
5 a : the metallic surface (as of platinum or tungsten) upon which the stream of electrons within an X-ray tube is focused and from which the X rays are emitted b : a body, surface, or material bombarded with nuclear particles or electrons; especially : fluorescent material on which desired visual effects are produced in electronic devices (as in radar)

As you can see, target has many meanings, including the one you claim titus alludes to in the context you use to challenge him.

This is called cherry picking I believe.
0 Replies