Snowdon is a dummy

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 06:52 am

By the way, if anyone has not yet read Jespah's "Malformed Topics!" post, they should do so ASAP.

(Preferably before they accidentally mess up their a2k account.)
djjd62

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 06:55 am
@oralloy,
i purposely mess up my account every day

simply by posting
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 06:55 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
There are millions of people in the world including your truly that long before snowden knew how to remain hidden and how to communicate in a secure manner.

That knowledge did not however include the specific tactics of the NSA.

BillRM wrote:
What snowden did was let us all know that our own damn government was using their technology against the american people.

Hunting for terrorists is hardly "against" the American people.

And the American people did in fact already know that the NSA was listening to everything.
BillRM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 06:57 am
@oralloy,
Why then that before Snowden and before any limit on mass spying was in place was so many attacks with hundreds of people killed was able to be carry out worldwide?
BillRM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 07:02 am
@oralloy,
So the american people knew that NSA was breaking their charter and the law before snowden?

oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 07:04 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Why then that before Snowden and before any limit on mass spying was in place was so many attacks with hundreds of people killed was able to be carry our worldwide?

Just because Snowden made it trivially easy for terrorists to evade detection doesn't mean that it was completely impossible for them to evade detection before he started helping them.

We had made some progress though. For example, we got Usama bin Ladn because the NSA detected a terrorist cellphone being turned on just outside his hideout.
oralloy

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 07:07 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
So the american people knew that NSA was breaking their charter and the law before snowden?

Hardly breaking the law. Everything they did was authorized by Congress and conducted with court supervision.

I don't know what their charter specifies.

But yes. Americans have always known that the NSA listens to everything.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 07:36 am
@oralloy,
LOL...
BillRM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:21 am
@oralloy,
Maintaining high security is never trivial as one moment of carelessness can undo years and reveal you to a high power enemy such as NSA but it is no more trivial now then before snowden.

All the techniques to have hidden and secure communications was in the public domain decades before snowden.

Let see I wish to tell Izzy when our next terrorist attacks will happen and some of the details.

I take the message and using any number of programs encrypted it beyond the known ability of anyone to break including the NSA and then turning to another program I hide the message in the lower bits of a jpg file.

The computer I used to do this is never connected to the internet.

After transfering the file to a netbook, I travel to a public hot spot and on top of that I boot the tor network and upload the picture to any picture sharing website using a one time throw away account.

Izzy take similar steps when downloading the picture and reading the message.e

It is surely a pain but doable and you are as safe from the NSA or anyone else as you can be.

revelette2

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Not sure it is positive...but if I had to bet, I'd bet that the world would have had a better chance of preventing that attack if Edward Snowden had not done what he did.

In the first place, mass data spying hadn't stopped yet and in the second place, those suspects had been under surveillance for some time, it was other problems in Belgian such as lack of detectives and Arabic speaking agents and other problems such as those which were the problem.

How officials may have missed their chance to stop Paris terror suspects

Quote:
Over the past year, Belgian security forces tapped at least one bomber’s telephone and briefly detained and interviewed at least two other suspects — one for his travels to Syria and the other for his radical views, according to law enforcement officials here.

State prosecutors also had been pursuing Abdelhamid Abaaoud, an alleged ringleader of the plot, for dragging his 13-year-old brother with him to join Islamic State militants in Syria.

On Wednesday, police and soldiers raided an apartment in a Paris suburb in search of Abaaoud, and at least two of its occupants died. They included Abbaoud, French officials confirmed Thursday.

Although the attackers struck in Paris, several were living in or had traveled to a single neighborhood in Brussels.

The high level of awareness about the men — and the missed opportunities for police and intelligence agencies to stop them before the attacks in Paris — shows how difficult it is for hard-pressed security services to keep track of hundreds or thousands of people and pick out which ones might be organizing violent acts.

Not only were police suspicious of the men tied to the Paris attacks, but Belgian researchers and even journalists also were tracking their posts on social media.

Belgian officials said that three men linked to the Paris attacks appeared on a list of 800 Belgians with suspected ties to terrorist groups, a list maintained by the Belgian Coordination Unit for Threat Assessment, a government advisory group. France has a similar list, with 1,200 names.

Yet some experts point out that Belgian security services are handicapped by a shortage of people to follow suspected extremists, a dearth of Arabic speakers, a history of lax gun laws and layers of overlapping government authority.

Unlike others I don't think Snowden deserves a medal, he recklessly took classified information most of which had nothing to do with data spying and gave it to persons unauthorized. However, I do agree mass data spying has been largely ineffective in it's purpose of catching and terrorist before they strike. When you think about it, it makes sense. It is too much information to sort through and analyze in a timely manner for it to do much good.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:38 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Maintaining high security is never trivial as one moment of carelessness can undo years and reveal you to a high power enemy such as NSA but it is no more trivial now then before snowden.

All the techniques to have hidden and secure communications was in the public domain decades before snowden.

Let see I wish to tell Izzy when our next terrorist attacks will happen and some of the details.

I take the message and using any number of programs encrypted it beyond the known ability of anyone to break including the NSA and then turning to another program I hide the message in the lower bits of a jpg file.

The computer I used to do this is never connected to the internet.

After transfering the file to a netbook, I travel to a public hot spot and on top of that I boot the tor network and upload the picture to any picture sharing website using a one time throw away account.

Izzy take similar steps when downloading the picture and reading the message.e

It is surely a pain but doable and you are as safe from the NSA or anyone else as you can be.

I hope the day never comes when I have secrets so important that I have to do even half of that crap...or where I am so paranoid that I think I have secrets that important.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:41 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Unlike others I don't think Snowden deserves a medal, he recklessly took classified information most of which had nothing to do with data spying and gave it to persons unauthorized. However, I do agree mass data spying has been largely ineffective in it's purpose of catching and terrorist before they strike. When you think about it, it makes sense. It is too much information to sort through and analyze in a timely manner for it to do much good.

I certainly do not think he deserves a medal...nor do I think he performed a public service.

As for the efficacy of the data collection...

...I freely acknowledge I DO NOT KNOW HOW EFFICACIOUS IT HAS BEEN...and I suspect no one else here knows either.

Those of the kinds of decisions that have to be left to the people responsible for Homeland security.

BillRM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 08:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I hope the day never comes when I have secrets so important that I have to do even half of that crap...or where I am so paranoid that I think I have secrets that important.

I was talking about how terrorists could communicate over the net and such would be at risk of getting a hell fired missile up their asses if they was careless so you could not said they would be paranoid!!!!!!!

For myself most of my communication are in the clear except those that contain finance info as those I do encrypted.

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 09:03 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

I was talking about how terrorists could communicate over the net and such would be at risk of getting a hell fired missile up their asses if they was careless so you could not said they would be paranoid!!!!!!!

For myself most of my communication are in the clear except those that contain finance info as those I do encrypted.

You are absolutely correct here, Bill.

I screwed up. I missed the sentence, "Let see I wish to tell Izzy when our next terrorist attacks will happen and some of the details."

My bad. I apologize.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 09:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
...I freely acknowledge I DO NOT KNOW HOW EFFICACIOUS IT HAS BEEN...and I suspect no one else here knows either.

What we do know is that neither of our governments can give details of any successful conviction that came as a result of mass data trawl. They can give details of convictions brought about by targeted surveillance. And they were both very keen to carry on with mass data trawling just in case.

Logically it's fairly safe to assume that if they did have just one case they'd be singing from the rooftops about it. They're not.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 10:00 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

What we do know is that neither of our governments can give details of any successful conviction that came as a result of mass data trawl. They can give details of convictions brought about by targeted surveillance. And they were both very keen to carry on with mass data trawling just in case.

Logically it's fairly safe to assume that if they did have just one case they'd be singing from the rooftops about it. They're not.

I am not interested in prosecuting and convicting terrorists of terrorist activities, Izzy.

I am interested in STOPPING terrorists from committing terrorist activities.

And if the surveillance has been effective in doing that...it will be mentioned in only the most general terms.

In the meantime, if we can stop people from stealing secret documents and releasing them to the public...we might be better able to STOP some terrorists from committing terrorist activities.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 10:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
I am not interested in prosecuting and convicting terrorists of terrorist activities, Izzy.

If someone wants to commit a terroristic activity, is caught and thus stopped doing it - she/he/they get/s prosecuted and convicted here.
Quote:
Section 89a
Preparation of a serious violent offence endangering the state

(1) Whosoever prepares a serious offence endangering the state shall be liable to imprisonment from six months to ten years. ... ... ...

Even those want-to-be terrorists get a fair trial here.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 10:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

If someone wsants to commit a terroristic activity, is caught and thus stopped doing it - she/he/they get/s prosecuted and convicted here.
Quote:
Section 89a
Preparation of a serious violent offence endangering the state

(1) Whosoever prepares a serious offence endangering the state shall be liable to imprisonment from six months to ten years. ... ... ...

I understand that, Walter.

Actually read what I wrote.

If a person is STOPPED...and then prosecuted...FINE WITH ME.

I applaud it.

But that was not the essence of my post.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 10:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

We do know because there has been an investigation into and they reported the results of that investigation. Several in fact. If that information hasn't been out there for well over a year, I wouldn't have changed my mind about it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 11:17 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Quote:

We do know because there has been an investigation into and they reported the results of that investigation. Several in fact. If that information hasn't been out there for well over a year, I wouldn't have changed my mind about it.

Ahhh...and the intelligence community would never lie to the investigators.

And investigations like this have never themselves been investigated and found to have come to the wrong conclusions...

...so we KNOW all this for certain.

I see!

I never took that into consideration. Silly me.

Okay...you win. Nothing has ever happened of any good from the surveillance.