Snowdon is a dummy

Frank Apisa

Wed 17 Jun, 2015 03:52 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I'm just joking about Rihanna, implying that Frank's obsession with Snowden is akin to being fascinated by the lives of the rich and famous. In other words, it's a form of shallowness to focus on Snowden's motivations and legal prospects, IMO.

Earth calling Olivier. Earth calling Olivier.

I am not obsessed with Snowden. Read the title of the thread again. This thread is about him. You are here as often as I am...do you consider yourself obsessed with him?

C'mon...wake up or grow up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 17 Jun, 2015 04:12 pm
@Olivier5,
I knew you were.

You can't fool me...

As you know since we have talked, my father was chased by the McCarthy types. I don't know the deal, except that it was someone under him that a person showed a photo at a party in New York and my father's whole life changed. He was head of photo at Bikini. I could guess my father was not the most rabid of room cleaners.

Now, many years later a fellow has worked up the history of Crossroads, and I don't dismiss him. It's on some art sites, his name is Bruce Conner. I tried to get in touch. I tried to get in touch via the gallery he was last showing at. I assume I am taken as a kook.

I have a suitcase in my house filled with odd bits, which I couldn't interest the director at the Atomic museum in, I'd just give them that., he had not heard of the Bikini bomb tests. I liked him well enough, and he was new to the job. That was in 2009. I've a page they gave me to fill out re my possible donation; I don't remember what is in there, not too exciting, but real.

So, I have a father who was in the plane that shot down into Baker, John Craig the photographer, my dad the colonel, hounded re his job in the fifties, to me, for sloppy filing.

Let me say that my view on what they do to Snowden is wry.

ossobuco

Wed 17 Jun, 2015 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I have a photo taken of a room of bigwigs, when my dad took the film from bikini back to Washington on the Enola Gay. My dad is sleepy. I suppose I should dig that out and put it on photobucket.
ossobuco

Wed 17 Jun, 2015 06:00 pm
@ossobuco,
My father knew Oppenheimer and Teller. Even I knew Teller slightly, as he later lived in West Los Angeles, and I heard him speak at the Catholic place connected to UCLA. I just listened and left - there were maybe seven of us there to hear him - so I can't say I talked with him, I didn't.
RABEL222

Wed 17 Jun, 2015 06:48 pm
@korkamann,
Depends on how many bucks he got for the information he stole. We have a lot of conscencless rich bastards in the U S who moved their money to some other country and are happy as clams. Why would he be any different unless you buy into Izzys bull about him being a hero. He is just another crook trying to beat the system. Wonder how much he has stashed In Switzerland?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Wed 17 Jun, 2015 06:57 pm
@izzythepush,
True. But in the U S if one wants to run for congress the first thing he has to do is sell his soul so he can get the 20 or 30 million dollars it takes to make a run, which is why office holders have a leg up. All the big money know office holders are crooked as hell and can be bought so take their money to them for future gains. Seems though most voters know this the propaganda the big money overides this knowledge. Thus every two years 400 crooks are reelected and 30 new crooks replace some office holders. Been going on for 80 years.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Wed 17 Jun, 2015 07:02 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
What is your point?

Why that you girls are not as smart as Walter and Izzy because you disagree with their greater intellectual opinions.
revelette2

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 06:34 am
@RABEL222,
Listen it is ok. I know I am not the smartest around here, but if a subject interest me, I am pretty confident I can hold my own regardless of izzypush's opinions.

And actually, I have agreed with some of what has been discussed here. Mainly concerning meta data storing being too inefficient to do the job it is intended to do. I changed my mind on that after reading some reports which said as much. What I don't agree with is the Snowden issue.
izzythepush

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 09:32 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Listen it is ok. I know I am not the smartest around here, but if a subject interest me, I am pretty confident I can hold my own regardless of izzypush's opinions.

Really, you thought the special relationship was something a conspiracy nut dreamed up. I'll call that pretty ignorant.
revelette2

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 09:40 am
@izzythepush,
You shouldn't tell me what I thought as I thought no such thing. What I thought was a conspiracy was your theory of your government only leaking the news about your government having to pull agents from the field because of Snowden to make the US look better in regards to China hacking into our federal employee information. It is a far fetched theory regardless our two countries relationship, imo.

Sorry for the somewhat convoluted sentences but I didn't know how else to condense it down.
izzythepush

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 11:23 am
@revelette2,
It is far fetched and you're the one saying it. The idea that the sole reason was just to make America look better is ridiculous. There's a lot of reasons, you may only be able to think of one, but not everyone is so limited.
revelette2

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 11:43 am
@izzythepush,
You were the one to suggest it, if you now don't think so, very well.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 11:58 am
Quote:
German Chancellor Angela Merkel has proposed that a third-party investigator be appointed to inspect a list of targets that German intelligence tracked on behalf of the US National Security Agency.

Merkel's administration has faced harsh criticism over allegations it gave the German Foreign Intelligence Service (BND) permission to help the NSA spy on European firms and officials, triggering a scandal that has potential to dent the chancellor's credibility in Germany and abroad.
In a letter to the parliamentary committee investigating the affair, Merkel's office said the mandate of the neutral investigator would be to provide "answers without disclosing concrete content from the list [of targets]."

Merkel has come under increasing pressure to divulge the so-called "selectors" used to identify targets of surveillance, including the IP addresses of individual computers, in an affair that has strained relations between her conservatives and the Social Democrat, the junior coalition partner in the current federal government.

The chancellery has proposed the investigator be allowed to inspect the list of targets and report back to the committee. The results would also be shared with a parliamentary body responsible for supervising the BND. The contents of the list are considered crucial to establishing whether the BND infringed on German law by assisting the NSA.

In its letter, the chancellery said it did not expect the US government to formally agree in the immediate future to the circulation of the list. It therefore suggested appointing the "trusted individual" who alone would see its contents.

Revelations by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden about US espionage in Germany caused outrage when they surfaced, and this has now been compounded by allegations that German intelligence was not only aware, but also complicit.
Source
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 12:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I knew you were. You can't fool me...

Alright... At least now Frank can understand the joke.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 01:46 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm impressed with that, Ossobuco. Oppenheimer and Teller play a significant role in our country's history. The fact that your father knew them is impressive.

Anyway, Olivier is right and wrong in what he just wrote.

He is right that I get the joke...I "understand it." But he is wrong about the "now."

I've known the joke right along. I've been feeding it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 01:47 pm
@revelette2,
I never said it was a sole reason, and I never put it in those terms. It's not the British Government as such, it's a leak from the British Government which could be an individual or a group decision.

You don't seem to appreciate how it operates, you fail to see the complexity of any situation.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 02:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
A fair trial is the only way to go if he comes back.

Do you want a unicorn with that fair trial? Sure, I will grant you that your request sounds pretty reasonable in the abstract. But how do you expect a fair trial would come about in practice? The prosecution's facts are common knowledge. Most exonerating facts on the defense's side are classified. The only people who could declassify them are identical with the clients of the prosecution. How do you suggest we get a fair trial in these circumstances?
Frank Apisa

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 02:54 pm
@Thomas,
By simply holding a trial.

You, Thomas, apparently do not want a fair trial...you want an acquittal. You want a rigged trial.

A fair trial will sometimes result in a conviction...sometimes in an acquittal.

But you have to have a trial.

As for the subtext of your question: If you are going to steal...don't do it where there are cameras.

If you are suggesting the evidence for conviction seems insurmountable...you may be right. But the rule is: If you cannot do the time...do not do the crime.

I want Snowden to get a fair trial.
Olivier5

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 03:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Pity the US won't listen to you and give him that trial...
Frank Apisa

Thu 18 Jun, 2015 03:06 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

Pity the US won't listen to you and give him that trial...

The Justice Department will give him a fair trial...right after he returns.

Not sure why you think he should be tried in absentia. Efforts to get him back for trial have not been exhausted...and won't be for some time.