Snowdon is a dummy

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 02:11 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
In the report did they happen to have advice on how to be both transparent and still have the intelligence gathering capabilities?

In the report they did what so many reports of this type do...mention that there had to be a meeting point between the agencies needs for secrecy and the need of transparency in a democracy.

Sorta like recommending that abortion opponents find meeting grounds with right to choose people.

It sounds good...but it ain't gonna happen.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 02:13 pm
@revelette2,
The police are at a 52% confidence rate. The criminal justice system is at 23%.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 02:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
He said he was putting his freedom at risk.

Okay.

It is at risk.

A fair trial is the only way to go if he comes back. Or, he can stay in Russia and enjoy the greater privacy afforded to its citizens.

I feel absolutely no sympathy for him whatsoever...nor do I feel he did anything heroic or positive for me or for this country.

I understand intelligent, well-intentioned people can feel quite differently about those things.
korkamann

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 03:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I feel absolutely no sympathy for him whatsoever...nor do I feel he did anything heroic or positive for me or for this country.

I agree 100% with your statement, Frank.

The NSA leaker, Edward Snowden, was living a privilege existence in Hawaii working as a computer professional contractor with an annual salary of $200,000. An objective onlooker might draw the conclusion the rogue contractor became bored and wanted some excitement in his life. Don't believe he thought through his actions because now he is stranded in a government in a foreign land where human rights policies are dissimilar to the land of his birth. One is reminded of the many reporters who've been assassinated in Russia for daring to print the truth and those who mustered the courage to speak out against Putin, himself.

Olivier5

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 03:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Who cares about Snowden as an individual, anyway? Why do you guys keep ranting about him all the time? Get over it already. Sulking is bad for your mental health.
revelette2

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 03:13 pm
@ehBeth,
I understood that which is why I said "and getting away with it." Not all the police are getting out of hand, but it seems the ones who are just simply get away with it. The Zimmerman trial probably didn't help either. I looked again and historically it was only 24%. Not surprising either when consider the unequal treatment between minorities and whites in the criminal justice system.

It did go down from 57% to 52. (the police)

It really doesn't matter on this thread though unless we think because people have low confidence in the criminal justice system people can just take classified information and give it to unauthorized persons. In that reasoning, we may as well do away with the criminal justice system all together.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 03:28 pm
@Olivier5,
Oh I get it now: let's talk of Snowden's girlfriend, of his parents, of his salary, of his hobbies as a kid, and of whether he is gay or not... So that we can conveniently forget the information he risked his life to share with us.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 03:29 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
It really doesn't matter on this thread

it's precisely what much of the thread has been about (and continues to be about) - the possibility of Mr. Snowden receiving a fair trial in the US.

Americans (per the survey results) do not have confidence in the criminal justice system in the US.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 03:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
Face a fair trial.
Quote:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2uy64j4.jpg
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
http://i62.tinypic.com/30atmom.jpg

sorry - I hate nested quotes, but sometimes it just has to happen.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 03:39 pm
@Olivier5,
Take a look at the thread title, Olivier...and then ask yourself why you are here.

I'm here because the topic interests me...and Snowden can only be thought of as an individual.

I defended him, by the way. I do not think he is a dummy.

And I am defending his right to a fair trial.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 03:44 pm
This absurd nonsense about the percentage of American who have confidence in our legal system is farce at its best.

94% of Americans have an unfavorable opinion about congress...but almost every incumbent running will be re-elected in the next election.

It is easy to answer questions "no" when asked. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

In any case, most of the people touting this "he won't get a fair trial" are hypocrites. The are afraid he WILL GET A FAIR TRIAL. What they want is an unfair trial.

They ain't gonna get it. And neither is Edward Snowden.

If he comes back he will get a fair trial...and he will probably have a team representing him that would put the OJ dream team to shame.

Olivier5

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 03:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
More hypocrisy. Nobody thinks he's a dummy, not even the author of the thread, so there's nothing to discuss there.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 03:54 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

More hypocrisy. Nobody thinks he's a dummy, not even the author of the thread, so there's nothing to discuss there.

The hypocrisy is all yours, Olivier.

If you do not want to discuss something...or if a topic is boring you...go somewhere else. You don't get to tell others that they should not be discussing what they want to discuss. And you do not get to determine what facet of the discussion is okay and what is taboo.

Nothing to discuss???

So why are you discussing it here?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 03:56 pm
@Olivier5,
And the author of this thread is not well or maybe has passed, as they say. We don't know. I've known him for years, met him a few times. We have spatted. Basically liked knowing each other.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 04:13 pm
@korkamann,
korkamann wrote:
What makes you think US computer security was "ineffective"?

This.

Quote:
The US says it faces a "dedicated adversary" and an "ever evolving threat" to the nation's cyber security, after a major data breach.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33028158<br />
korkamann wrote:
Do you know something others do not know?

Clearly I know something you don't know, why not try keeping up with current events?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 04:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I can post whatever I want to post and so can you, thank you very much. Discussing Snowden's psychology and motives is just another way to try and burry him. It's about shooting the messenger and nothing else.
revelette2

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 04:26 pm
@ehBeth,
It is matter of courtesy to quote the whole quote rather than just half, but no matter.

So we in the US do not have confidence in our criminal justice system. Should we shut it down? Snowden broke the law, he should stand trial for it the same as millions of people in US do everyday in this criminal justice system we have no confidence in who are accused of committing crimes.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 04:35 pm
@ossobuco,
I hope ci is okay. He and I had lots of differences lately, but I admire him.

Bottom line: Snowden is accused of breaking some serious laws. Only a trial will determine if he is guilty or not.

All I want...is for him to get a fair trial...unless he would prefer to stay where he is.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 04:36 pm
@ossobuco,
I heard cc had surgery and that it went well. But that was weeks ago...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 04:43 pm
@revelette2,
I was just trying to make it easier for you since you didn't seem to understand the purpose of Walter's post the first time round.

I'll leave you to try to follow things on your own.

Best of luck in the future.