Snowdon is a dummy

RABEL222

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 11:09 am
@Olivier5,
This has what to do with wether or not he broke the law. If he had stayed in the U S and faced the music for his actions I would be with the "HERO" worshipers but he ran and I wonder just how much financial remuneration he got after the release of information and how much he will get in the future after he gets his free trial which I notice much preasure is being put on the U S by much of the world to be not guilty, no matter what the facts are. Leave him in Russia to gain the rewards he has earned. If he wants to come home let him with no strings attached on either side.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 11:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
You forgot Putin. You know the guy who got his soul read by President Bush.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 11:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Italy
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 11:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
I doubt that...but I think people like you...and I have different ideas.
Certainly - but mainly, because the term "fair trial" here (in Germany and Europe) means something different than in the USA (and I admit that I'm kind of struck in our legal system)

For the record...and so that I can better understand your position here...what do you see as the major differences between what we Americans call a "fair trial" and what you Germans do?
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 11:41 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

If it had been information on how to build a nuclear weapon and given to Iran, how would you feel about it?

If that had happened there would be very little sympathy for Snowden. That didn't happen, Snowden did not sell/give military information to a hostile power, he exposed war crimes. There is a difference.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 12:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
For the record...and so that I can better understand your position here...what do you see as the major differences between what we Americans call a "fair trial" and what you Germans do?
It is founded in the different legal system. Here, everyone is entitled to have a "predetermined judge" (gesetzlicher Richter, literally "lawful judge", or in France/French droit d'être jugé par son juge naturel).

That is often translated in English as "the right to fair trial".
Article 101 (1,1) of our constitution (Grundgesetz, "Basic Law") says: "No one may be removed from the jurisdiction of his lawful judge."
Same wording in the "Courts Constitution Act" section 16(Gerichtsverfassungsgesetz § 16).
revelette2

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 12:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Pretty sure you mean Bradley Manning, not Snowden. I have always had more sympathy for Manning than Snowden, but, to each his own I guess. At least he didn't run and hide. In the end, he only received 35 years plus with time already served which makes less. Not bad for stealing military classified records and leaking them. After all, he did take an oath and he broke that oath. I admire him for taking his licks.

Bradley Manning sentenced to 35 years in WikiLeaks case
Baldimo

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 12:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Does this mean that no matter the crime they will be judged in trial by the same judge?
Olivier5

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:04 pm
@RABEL222,
It has to do with the fact that the US political machine cannot function properly without leaks. This article dates from 1983:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1320&dat=19830115&id=SEBWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=kekDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6404,4315467

See also:

Quote:
Everybody Leaks in Washington: What the Bradley Manning Trial Tells us about a Broken System
By Juan Cole | Mar. 13, 2013

[...] Today there is a gentlemen’s agreement of sorts between the press and the government. For its part, the government tacitly recognizes that intelligent discussion of national security matters requires the disclosure of some types of classified information to the media. This has led to a routine practice of selective leaking, usually between high-ranking government officials and select members of the elite Washington national security press corps.

Meanwhile, others in the government leak to the press to pursue a policy agenda. While these leaks are usually accompanied by outrage, gnashing of teeth, and promises of a “leak investigation,” the gentlemen’s agreement means that these matters are usually quickly forgotten and written off as the cost of doing business in a messy democracy.

The press’ part of the unstated agreement is to refrain from wholesale publication of national security secrets. The media does not report on troop movements, intelligence sources and methods, scientific information about our weapons systems, or other information that (in the media’s view) could cause actual damage to the nation’s security. The government and the press often disagree on what types of disclosure will result in such “damage,” but because the press has, by and large, acted responsibly when it gets hold of national security information, the government is willing to tolerate at least some level of leakage.

The Wikileaks/Manning case has blown this all apart.

First of all, Wikileaks has provided an outlet for the raw disclosure of classified information, without the filtering mechanism of responsible press outlets. The government cannot, and will not, tolerate this.
More importantly, however, if you put aside the sheer volume of Manning’s disclosures, it is difficult to distinguish Manning’s conduct from leaks that happen in Washington every day. If Manning is convicted during his trial in June for “aiding the enemy” and receives a life sentence – the risks of leaking classified information will have been significantly ratcheted up.

If Manning is given a life sentence because documents he leaked were read by the enemy, the government will be hard pressed to look the other way when far more important secrets than what Manning disclosed show up on the front page of the Washington Post. Manning’s case could damage the détente between the government and the media that has allowed for substantial reporting of national security matters without a constant drum beat of leak prosecutions, subpoenas for reporters to reveal their sources, and the like.

http://www.juancole.com/2013/03/everybody-washington-politicos.html
korkamann

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:05 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
I admire him for taking his licks.

So do I. At least in the eyes of some Manning didn't come across as a weasel, stealing the documents and then splitting the continent...he owned up to what he had done. Besides setting a precedent, Manning is now being given female hormones which sets the paradigm for others with a similar problem and imprisoned.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:11 pm
@revelette2,
I did mean Snowden, but the same is true of Manning.
BillRM

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:20 pm
Getting a fair trial under an unfair law such as Espionage Act of 1917 is not likely and would be similar to getting a fair trial under the Fugitive Slave Act.

Under this law there is no defense that the actions of the government is itself unconstitutional or that the classification was not properly done in fact there is no defend for releasing anything that someone in the government had placed a secret stamp on.

If Snowden had run into a top secret document detailing the take over of the US by the US military his revealing such a plot would still be a crime under the Espionage Act of 1917.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:24 pm
@izzythepush,
And you determined they were war crimes? You dont even know to whom he gave information or what kind of information he gave to China, and Russia neither of who are our friends.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:33 pm
@Olivier5,
Who is everybody? I love it when some hack writer uses the term everybody because no one can even argue with a nonentity.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:57 pm
@RABEL222,
From what I understand the information was all given to a Guardian journalist prior to going to Hong Kong. Anyway once the US govt made it clear they were out to get him no matter what he might as well have told Putin the lot. I would. Compare his treatment to establishment figure Anthony Blunt who did spy for the Russians.

And let's not forget the forced landing of the Bolivian presidential plane. Imagine the outcry if Airforce 1 had been forced to land.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Snowden did not sell/give military information to a hostile power, he exposed war crimes.

As far as I am aware, Snowden didn't expose war crimes. Name some.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 02:03 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Does this mean that no matter the crime they will be judged in trial by the same judge?
No. Every year, a committee of judges of a court decide, what judge/chamber gets what case/kind of trial.
Real changes aren't very frequent, though.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 02:09 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
You dont even know to whom he gave information or what kind of information he gave to China, and Russia

There is zero indication that Snowden gave any information to either of those two governments or any government for that matter.

If he had wish to do so he could had sold the information to them and kept enjoying his life in the US not go public as he did.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 02:12 pm
@BillRM,
I'm wondering how what Snowden did compares to that what someone else did: David Petraeus was just allowed to plead guilty for leaking extremely sensitive secrets – not out of a whistleblowing desire to inform the public but simply to satisfy his mistress.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 02:57 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
As far as I am aware, Snowden didn't expose war crimes. Name some.

Quote:
Tony Gosling: Obviously, he’s got his options rather limited. The real impact of what he’s done here is only now starting to be realized. Not only is he exposing the criminality of the GCHQ – the signals intelligence part of the British intelligence services – and the NSA, but he is also showing that much of that intelligence contains information which may bring criminal prosecutions. For example, of war crimes, or criminal prosecutions against bankers, people who’ve been doing money laundering, such as Lord Green who was in charge of HSBC. There’s a vast amount of information there.

http://rt.com/op-edge/snowden-nsa-crime-gchq-136/

Yeah, I know it's RT, and I would not believe a word they say about Putin, but they tend to be a bit more honest about the West's misdeeds.

I don't want to fall out with you over this, but I honestly believe Snowden did us all a favour in exposing wrong doings by both our governments. I'm sure we can agree to differ whilst remaining civil.