Snowdon is a dummy

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
]It would be okay with me...and with lots of other Americans...if he stayed right there...where his privacy is guaranteed.
Well, his current place of residence was neither his first (or second, or third) choice nor does he want to stay there.
But how do you attribute that above response to your strong minded wish that he must have a fair trial in the USA?

Where have I said he MUST have a fair trial.

I think he DESERVES a fair trial...so he can an opportunity to clear his name...to show that he did not steal classified documents and release them to unauthorized people.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:33 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
... to show that he did not steal classified documents and release them to unauthorized people.
I'm rather sure that no-one really think, he got those documents a a present and thought, the journalists were authorised by USA to get them.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
... to show that he did not steal classified documents and release them to unauthorized people.
I'm rather sure that no-one really think, he got those documents a a present and thought, the journalists were authorised by USA to get them.

Okay...so...where does that leave us?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
I think that sooner or later there'll be a deal. And though it will be a compromise, the USA will be glad: all those until now unpublished documents won't be published.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:48 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
The guy will get a fair trial...if he comes back, Walter.

For someone big on agnosticism you sure have a lot of irrational beliefs.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I think that sooner or later there'll be a deal. And though it will be a compromise, the USA will be glad: all those until now unpublished documents won't be published.

Oh...so you think the US will allow itself to be blackmailed.

I see.

Well...I don't think so.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:59 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

For someone big on agnosticism you sure have a lot of irrational beliefs.

No I don't.
korkamann

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 08:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
As far as I know, the talks weren't about what people think a fair trial is. But I can be wrong, of course.

I believe Frank was speaking in a more general manner as opposed to definitive details. But then "I can be wrong" also.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 08:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I see.

Well...I don't think so.
I don't think that blackmail is the correct word ... here, because I really think it was a kind of (sic!) whistleblowing.
Quote:
“Anytime a whistleblower is punished for pointing out waste or misconduct, it sends the signal to other employees that doing the right thing will be met with potentially harsh repercussions,” Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa), chairman of the Judiciary Committee.
NB: Sen. Grassley didn't refer with his remark to Snowden but to a report that will be the focus of a Senate hearing tomorrow.
I know that the USA doesn't pay ransom demand for any hostage - why should they make a deal about some secret but outdated papers?

Having thought about it - the damage is already done, trouble with allies diminshed, so why should there be a deal? Either a trial or some solotution will be found to solve the case in Russia ...
korkamann

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I agree that Snowden will get a fair trial if only because the entire world will be watching said trial, especially those who feel strongly people had a right to know their government was spying on them. All of this will be brought up at trial. However, the most significant reason Snowden will be tried is because of his stealing governmental classified documents and that's a no-no! Despite this, I sincerely believe he will be tried in the court of mass opinion and this will have an impact of the judge and prosecutor.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
You sound just like a fundamentalist Frank.
revelette2

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I see a problem with such a deal. The problem is the papers are no longer in Snowden's possession. It may be a little too optimistic to believe Glen Greenwald and the others who have the papers would so willingly give them up just so Snowden can have a better chance so to speak in fair trial if he comes back to face one.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:07 am
@korkamann,
korkamann wrote:

Quote:
As far as I know, the talks weren't about what people think a fair trial is. But I can be wrong, of course.

I believe Frank was speaking in a more general manner as opposed to definitive details. But then "I can be wrong" also.

I love Walter, Korkamann...I respect him. We've met...and I consider him a good guy.

But he has tunnel vision about this thing.

He was speaking about Snowden and Snowden's lawyers having a different opinion from the government of the United States (and moi) about what constitutes a "fair trial."

So despite what he is suggesting here, we WERE talking about what people think...all of the people.

Snowden is charged with specific crimes...and should be tried on those specific charges using the applicable law. The US should prosecute as vigorously as possible...and the defense should be as vigorous as possible to defend. A jury will get the case...and decide guilty or not guilty.

Snowden and his lawyers want to use defenses not available to them under the law. The government will almost certainly object...and the judicial branch will decide for or against the defense, starting with the trial judge...on through any appeals process if the verdict is appealed by either side all the way up to the Supreme Court.

All indications are that Snowden will have the best legal defense team possible.

The notion that a fair trial will not happen seems to me to be preposterous.

I think the problem is that there are some people, many here in A2K, who want to see Snowden as a hero...and want him to go free DESPITE the law...and DESPITE a fair trial. They want an unfair trial.

Ain't gonna happen.

At this point, his best bet seems to be to stay where he is...with all the right to privacy he is getting that he would be denied here.

This is a bed he made!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I see.

Well...I don't think so.
I don't think that blackmail is the correct word ... here, because I really think it was a kind of (sic!) whistleblowing.

You were saying the government will either relent...or further documents will be released.

You may think that to be whistleblowing...but it sounds like extortion or blackmail to me.

Quote:

Quote:
“Anytime a whistleblower is punished for pointing out waste or misconduct, it sends the signal to other employees that doing the right thing will be met with potentially harsh repercussions,” Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa), chairman of the Judiciary Committee.
NB: Sen. Grassley didn't refer with his remark to Snowden but to a report that will be the focus of a Senate hearing tomorrow.
I know that the USA doesn't pay ransom demand for any hostage - why should they make a deal about some secret but outdated papers?

Having thought about it - the damage is already done, trouble with allies diminshed, so why should there be a deal? Either a trial or some solotution will be found to solve the case in Russia ...

Okay with me if he decides to submit to Russia's judicial system, but I think that a prohibitive long shot.

He either should stay put...or come back and face trial.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:11 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You sound just like a fundamentalist Frank.

Whatever!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Okay with me if he decides to submit to Russia's judicial system, but I think that a prohibitive long shot.
You think that he did something against a Russian law? Possible.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
You think that he did something against a Russian law? Possible.

That comment was in response to YOUR comment:

Quote:
Either a trial or some solotution will be found to solve the case in Russia ...

I thought that was what you were suggesting.

You certainly cannot be suggesting that the US will try Snowden in Russia.

What were you suggesting?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 09:21 am
@korkamann,
Bradley Manning had the eyes of the World on him, that didn't stop him being tortured or receiving an excessively punitive sentence. 10 years would have been harsh, 35 is ridiculous, a lot of murderers get less than that. For what? Exposing war crimes.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 10:55 am
@BillRM,
If it had been information on how to build a nuclear weapon and given to Iran, how would you feel about it?
RABEL222

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 10:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
So you say the facts be damned.
0 Replies