Snowdon is a dummy

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 12:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quebec has fairly strict laws about who is allowed to attend English -language schools.

http://www.ourkids.net/english-language-schools-montreal.php
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 12:29 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

On a more serous side note I once have a French Canadian co-worker who told me how he have to fight to be able to be educated in English as he was after all a French Canadian and was therefore not suppose to be allow into an English language school.

this is very specific to Quebec and is not the case in other parts of French-speaking Canada
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 12:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The court says that the legal matters about inviting Snowden as a witness are only preliminary. Thus, there's no legal reason which can be disputed and dealt with at this court.
Forgot to post this: the correct court would be the "Federal Court of Justice of Germany" ("Bundesgerichtshof" [BGH]).
Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 12:32 pm
@revelette2,
I've come across Frank Apisa, who post racist anti-French lies and pictures.
revelette2

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 12:35 pm
@Olivier5,
I haven 't really followed all this stuff about the language, however, sometime Frank is offensive I agree, nevertheless, I like him and agree with him on a lot issues on other threads as well.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 12:48 pm
@revelette2,
If Frank was saying that "Jews are stingy" and that it's confirmed by millions of hits on google, you'd find that proper?

Listen, you guys go back some way - I don't. Frank has always behaved like an asshole and a total waste of time with me. Starting to peddle tired anti-French clichés and saying they are backed up by millions of hits on google was just a new low...
BillRM

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 01:03 pm
@Olivier5,
I guess I can understand that anyone who have not block Frank can blow a fuse now and then but being humorless when it come to playful jesting such as french Canadian drivers are slow drivers or comments about the French and Indians wars does not benefit anyone.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 01:09 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I guess I can understand that anyone who have not block Frank can blow a fuse now and then but being humorless when it come to playful jesting such as french Canadian drivers are slow drivers

They're not all that's slow.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 01:34 pm
@BillRM,
Being unable to recognise one's stereotypes is what does not benefit anyone. Anti-Jewish jokes were considered fine and dandy only half a century ago and those who were not amused "lacked a sense of humour"... Ha ha ha...
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 01:56 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I know it was popular for some of far right to hate the French in political talk. However, I honestly have never come any normal every day person who has strong feelings in regards to the French anymore they would the English (or British?) in conversations, much less racial slurs. I think that was a ridiculous statement. It seems so popular to be a victim nowadays.

I have no problem with the French...and I noted, I was one of the people defending the French in that earlier thread. Some of the nonsense there was for the birds.

I have no idea of what Olivier's problem is, but he should really tend to it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 01:58 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I've come across Frank Apisa, who post racist anti-French lies and pictures.

Never has happened. In any case, you ought not to be talking about lying, because you have so much trouble with the truth yourself.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 01:58 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I haven 't really followed all this stuff about the language, however, sometime Frank is offensive I agree, nevertheless, I like him and agree with him on a lot issues on other threads as well.

I have never slurred the French ever.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 02:00 pm
@Olivier5,
I've said the French protect the French language.

Get the hell off it, Olivier. They do.

In any case, there is no slur there.

You are getting bloodied again...and you are losing it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 02:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Anti-Jewish jokes were considered fine and dandy only half a century ago and those who were not amused "lacked a sense of humour"... Ha ha ha...

Well when 6 millions Frenchmen had been placed into gas chambers in the lifetime of many people still living then I can see being concern about jokes applying to the French.

Off hand I can think of no other group that having over two thousands years history of being the victims of one pogrom after another so comparing them to others groups as far as making jokes about them is beyond the pale.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 02:32 pm
@BillRM,
Okay so it takes a holocaust to make you think. My mistake...
BillRM

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 02:37 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Okay so it takes a holocaust to make you think. My mistake...

It take far more then hurt feelings to be able to claim the special protections of a people who had suffer not one holocaust but holocausts after holocausts for thousands of years.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 04:09 pm
@BillRM,
Protection? Who cares for that? I'm just saying if you want to communicate with me, try and keep the level of racist/nationalist stereotypes as low as you can manage. Otherwise I might lose patience. That's all.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 04:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Actually I was remembering another comment on another subject I felt was a little out of bounds. Something to do with joking concerning the victims on a plane or something.

I didn't really follow the language thing, I know nothing about it one way or another.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 05:26 pm
@revelette2,

revelette2 wrote:

Actually I was remembering another comment on another subject I felt was a little out of bounds. Something to do with joking concerning the victims on a plane or something.

If you ever run across that...lemme know. I will withdraw it...although it does not sound like something I would do.

Quote:
I didn't really follow the language thing, I know nothing about it one way or another.

Olivier was talking about how the French would not react to such and such...and I mentioned the fact that the French do react...for instance in the form of protecting French (the language.)

He claims there is no such thing...and I have given links to several articles about it. He thinks we should dismiss all that...and take his word that France does not do it.

Here are the links again:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8820304/Frances-Academie-francaise-battles-to-protect-language-from-English.html

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/may/23/language-french-identity

http://www.globalization101.org/protecting-languages/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-530403/France-protects-dreaded-English-language-banning-fast-food-podcasting.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/30/france-s-pointless-hopeless-battle-against-english.html

There are hundreds more.

Olivier5

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2014 06:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I never said the French don't react to things... That's absurd.

My beef with you is very simple: you stated that "the French leaders do spend more time than necessary making sure English does not invade French". I explained that no French politician had sized on this issue since the last one who did was mocked so badly (the French use hundreds of English words daily, and find it cool--c'est la life!) in the 90s.

Then you post links where the Mirror gets a kick because the Académie Française posted a page on their website with gallic alternatives to 'hashtag' and 'tweet' and what not... And one article about a new bill authorising the teaching of full university courses in english. The academicians are not leaders, they are basically authors and linguists. And a bill to allow English AS A TEACHING LANGUAGE FOR SCIENCE AND OTHER TOPICS* in France public universities is not a proof of linguistic protectionism. It is meant to allow non francophone world-class scientists to teach full university courses in France. So you have nothing.

* English language and literature have been taught in English for decades.

Then you gave what must be the lamest argument ever made on a message board: that you had found 53 millions of hits on google (sorry, Google Rolling Eyes ) for an unspecified search phrase...

WHO makes an argument like that?

Since when is: "I found 53,000,000 hits on Google" an argument for anything?

Honestly.