Snowdon is a dummy

BillRM

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 07:06 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
CI said himself that it does not matter what we do, the country has no chance to get better

I myself think that the chance of a turn around is not great as we seems to be at the same point as the Roman Republic was in 50 BC or so.

Great wealth was in control of Roman and great wealthy is now in control of the US with the help of the SC rulings of late.

I voted for Obama and he ended up having as little respect for the constitution as any modern president.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 04:28 am
Quote:

http://www.toptechnews.com/article/index.php?story_id=100007JDSJ8G

The US Marshals Service is flying over parts of the country with devices that can collect large amounts of data Relevant Products/Services from the cellphones of anyone on the ground, according to a report published Thursday in the Wall Street Journal. The devices, called "dirtboxes," can collect registration and location information from phones by mimicking the behaviors of cellphone towers, the newspaper reported.
In that regard, the dirtboxes appear to be similar to the StingRay devices that have been used by the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation since at least 1995 to track and locate cellphones and cellphone users.

According to this latest report, the U.S. Marshals Service -- which is part of the U.S. Department of Justice -- is operating dirtbox-equipped Cessna airplanes out of at least five airports across the country. An anonymous Justice Department official wouldn't confirm or deny the existence of the program, but told the Journal that the agency's use of any such equipment complied with federal law.

'Pretty Jarring'

We reached out to the Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC), a non-profit organization that advocates for privacy and civil rights, to learn more about the implications of this latest revelation about U.S. government surveillance of cellphones.

"I think this disclosure is pretty jarring, considering the fact they're using a device . . . that, really, we haven't had the opportunity to discuss in public," said EPIC Senior Counsel Alan Butler. "We're just pulling back the curtain on how broadly this technology is used. It's clear now these devices have been used for many years."

In the wake of this latest report, Butler said that EPIC was preparing to file Freedom of Information Act requests with the federal government to obtain more information about the dirtbox devices and how they are being used.

More than Just Metadata

Since former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden released a large amount of classified information from the agency beginning in June 2013, the public has learned about numerous government surveillance programs that have been, or still are, scooping up data from e-mails, online browsing and cellphone activity.

While federal officials have said such programs are legal and aimed at fighting terrorism and crime, privacy and civil rights advocates question the legality of such broad surveillance tactics that collect vast amounts of data about ordinary citizens.

The latest news about the airborne dirtboxes indicates "a much more expansive surveillance activity than collection of metadata," Butler said. Because such techniques could gather information not just from criminal suspects but from a large number of ordinary citizens out on the streets or even in their homes, "that's a 4th Amendment search," Butler said.

Butler acknowledged that the government can justify the use of devices like StingRays and dirtboxes by obtaining warrants that specify the need for such surveillance in criminal or terrorism investigations. What's needed at this point was an explicit acknowledgment -- via legislation, if necessary -- that government agencies would use these devices "only with a warrant," he said.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 11:35 am
@BillRM,
Their defense is that they don't collect individual communication, but that seems to a ruse like everything else they tell the public; mostly lies.

0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 06:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I have no idea of what "believing in the current leadership" is supposed to mean...

...but I can tell you this:

Barack Obama has been as good and effective a president as was Ronald Reagan...and has done a hell of a lot less damage to our nation morally and economically than Reagan did.

But your opponents, Bill, consider Ronald Reagan to be a major success, with many considering him to be damn near a god...

...while people like you and others here almost manufacture fault with Obama.

Some of the crap going on disgusts me...and should disgust anyone with a sense of balance.

There are Americans who SHOULD KNOW BETTER who are aiding and abetting the American far right in this ill-advised attempt to show that they can criticize with the best of 'em.

So it is your right...all of you.

Continue to do it.

And you eventually will reap what you are sowing.

In the meantime, I repeat: People who should know better and who should be showing better restraint...but who continue down this destructive path...DISGUST ME.

But, hey, I'm just one person.

Your response to the poster BillRM speaks for many Americans; it is the epitome of how many Americans observe what is going on in this highly partisan political racist atmosphere. A significant number of Americans' voices are drowned out by those who represent the most pernicious politics. The "manufactured faults" against Obama is almost freaking unbelievable. You appear to have a genuine respect for justice and fair play, Frank Apisa. Posters like me appreciate your posts.

Hey, don't mean to embarrass you; I've been on a2k long enough now to learn your opponents resent your receiving compliments. Do not respond to this post; pretend you did not see it.

Meanwhile, thank you for posting your profound sentiments.....my husband agrees with you 100%.

BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 07:50 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
I do not read Frank postings on this thread so you did me a favor by posting some of his nonsense that I will address.

Quote:
...while people like you and others here almost manufacture fault with Obama.

Sadly there had been no need to manufacture faults when it come Obama not honoring his oath of office.

I voted for the man two times and would likely voted for him again if given the choice of him or the two men that the Republicans ran against him.

However he had been an hell of a bad president when it come to honoring his oath to follow and defend the constitution. This is specially of note given that he had been a professor of constitutional law at one point.

The far right or not he have been a great disappointment when it come to respecting the Bill of Rights and at the moment we are still allowed to state that fact and hopefully without getting on a no fly list.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 08:00 pm
@BillRM,
I agree, and I've said this before. For a Constitutional lawyer, his practice of it falls short, and breaking laws are for criminals - not presidents.

Obama's promises not withstanding, the military still tortures prisoners.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/25/obama-administration-military-torture-army-field-manual

You guys are too forgiving or ignorant about Obama's crimes.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 10:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I am with you with the proviso that I dont agree with some of the things he has done and hasent done just as have most of the presidents of this century. Not even his own party has helped him in some cases.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 10:43 pm
@RABEL222,
But you're okay with torture of prisoners and the use of drones that kills innocent people.

http://www.hrw.org/news/2003/03/11/legal-prohibition-against-torture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_interrogation_techniques

Quote:
Published on
Tuesday, October 21, 2014
by Blog of Rights / ACLU
Will Obama Follow Bush Down the Made-Up Torture Loophole?
RABEL222

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 11:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Try to remember CI that he wanted to close the cuban prison but congress wouldent let him. And what path Bush started the military on will be difficult to put a stop too. Our military is a power into itself as is the CIA and the other covert operations that congress ok'ed. Put the blame where it belongs.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2014 11:21 pm
@RABEL222,
That's where Obama fails; he's (supposed to be) the Commander In Chief.
No ethics, no backbone, no legacy.
revelette2

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 07:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
Could Obama Close Gitmo?

Quote:
Given that Obama has little to lose at this point in his presidency, Eric Posner dreams. On what legal authority?

[Obama] could cite his commander-in-chief power under the Constitution and argue that Congress cannot force him to detain enemy combatants he believes should be released. It was on that basis that he recently traded five Guantanamo detainees for Bowe Bergdahl, an American solider captured by the Taliban. There are also various statutory loopholes he could exploit. Indeed, the president could declare the war with al-Qaida over, and in this way remove the legal foundation for the remaining Guantanamo detentions. It is perhaps for this reason that the president has announced that he wants a statute from Congress that authorizes the use of force against ISIS.

Once that statute is in place, he could formally declare the war with al-Qaida, and would be able to drop the fiction that ISIS and al-Qaida are the same entity, which he used to justify relying on the statute that authorizes the use of military force against al-Qaida for hostilities with ISIS.

One major constraint on all these actions is that Obama can sustain them only as long as he remains in office. Since he can’t make law, the next president will not be bound to continue them. However, the practical significance of this constraint is nil. If Obama releases Guantanamo detainees, the next president will not be able to put them back in Guantanamo. He or she could reopen Guantanamo and repopulate it with a new batch of terrorists, but the Guantanamo experiment was a failure, and no future president will repeat it.

I’d argue that this is a legitimate use of the president’s wartime executive authority. Would Obama ever do it? Maybe as a final, irreversible act two years from now – like his power to pardon. But it does not seem to me to be likely given the president’s institutional conservatism and aversion to “any sudden moves.” But then, I have no idea what Obama is really like when his long game is done and he really does not have anything left to lose. It sure would be a high note to go out on – the mother of all meep meeps.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 11:37 am
@revelette2,
Obama's approval rating is now @ 42% - not good or bad by historical standards. However, as the leader of the democratic party, most running for office this month distanced themselves from their leader - a huge mistake of huge proportions. But that's how history played out; the GOP won both the House and Senate. The voters spoke, and we'll just have to see what more Obama does beyond postponing immigration reform. His hesitation only shows he doesn't have any backbone. He's a lose cannon without much sparkle left, and I'm not sure he'll be able to accomplish much during his last two years in office. Lame duck.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 01:33 pm
Quote:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/11/whatsapp-brings-strong-end-to-end-crypto-to-the-masses/

In a coup for privacy advocates, strong end-to-end encryption is coming to Whatsapp, a cross-platform instant messaging app with more than 500 million installations on the Android platform alone.

Until now, most popular messaging apps for smartphones have offered woefully inadequate protections against eavesdropping. Whatsapp, which Facebook recently acquired for $19 billion, has itself been criticized for a series of crypto blunders only spooks in the National Security Agency would love. Most other mobile apps haven't done much better, as a recent scorecard of 39 apps compiled by the Electronic Frontier Foundation attests. Many fail to implement perfect forward secrecy, which uses a different key for each message or session to ensure that an adversary who intercepts a key can't use it to decrypt old messages. The notable exception among popular messaging apps is Apple's iMessage, but it's not available for Android handsets.

FURTHER READING

IN SURVEILLANCE ERA, CLEVER TRICK ENHANCES SECRECY OF IPHONE TEXT MESSAGES
"Perfect forward secrecy" comes to iOS and gets a boost on Android.
Enter Moxie Marlinspike, the highly regarded security researcher and principal developer of TextSecure, an SMS app for Android. Over the past three years, his team at Open Whisper Systems has developed a open encryption protocol for asynchronous messaging systems. The term asynchronous means that the endpoints don't need to wait for a message from a server or other party to function properly. That's what allows one person to send a burst of a dozen messages while the other remains idle. Implementing strong end-to-end crypto on such systems is especially challenging, particularly when it comes to devising a way to implement forward secrecy. But as Ars reported last year, TextSecure devised a clever technique for doing just that.
For now, Whatsapp encryption is limited to the Android platform, and even then it doesn't work for group messages or for messages containing photos or videos. In a blog post, Open Whisper Systems said those limitations will be addressed in future updates. Developers are also working on options for key verification, so users can make sure a key truly belongs to the person they want to communicate with, rather than an adversary digitally impersonating that person.

Until now, user-friendly strong crypto has been something of an oxymoron. If Whatsapp makes good on its promise to bring strong crypto to iOS and other platforms, it could change that. In the process, it very well may make NSA-style surveillance much harder if not impossible to carry out on a billion or so users.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 01:37 pm
@BillRM,
Thanks for sharing this important information about secrecy.
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 02:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

That's where Obama fails; he's (supposed to be) the Commander In Chief.
No ethics, no backbone, no legacy.

You are indeed an odd one, CI. Our government consists of three branches of government, Executive, Judicial and Legislature. Obama can no more close Guantanamo Bay detention camp than you can. What do you expect him to do, wrest all power unto himself? The House of Representatives will have to pass this legislation along with the Senate to close Gito. So far, this current congress has made it their pledge to oppose Obama in everything he would like to do even at the expense of hurting the American people, and believe me, they have been hurt. Congress could have passed a Jobs bill to begin rebuilding our infrastructure which is in dire need, but they will not, yet their continued hypocrisy keep frightening the American people, blaming Obama for the failure of fewer jobs...Meanwhile, our economy is doing well, despite the hateful efforts by the Republicans.

CI, I simply do not comprehend your position! You expect this president to do the impossible because he's black and must prove himself beyond what is expected of previous presidents. Yet, post after post, you ruthlessly castigate this president! It makes one wonder if you have not been brainwashed as has so many Americans by the American cultural racism that afflict all of us at one time or another....after all, the American culture is saturated with racism towards minorities and African Americans in particular....it's most difficult to not stereotype. Most ethnics might have secretly resented Obama getting the Democratic nomination (feeling they were more deserving), but when they saw all the campus support for Obama, along with Gays, moderates, Latinos, African Americans, Independent, etc., many jumped on board, not wanting to be left behind a changing world.

You scream at Obama because of Cuba! Why?! Do you think he can single handedly cancel the US official ban on trade or other commercial activity with Cuba?! There exist in Florida Cuban-Americans who are opposed to the US dismantling the embargo against Cuba....this is a Special Interest Group of some power, and they usually vote Republican. Talking about making waves if Obama were to act unilaterally!! Now that would be grounds for impeachment because the rules are loud and clear that he needs Congress.

Whatever your problem is regarding President Obama, you sound as if you are his worse enemy.

You screech: "Obama fails; ... [Obama] has no ethics, no backbone, no legacy. Are you deliberatly turning a blind eye to his accomplishments?! We, the US, were on the way to a depression because of the previous administration, and Obama, steadily and surely, righted the boat. To date, the Unemployment rate is below 6%. This president has proven he has backbone by the way he stands up to congress. He refused to give in when they shut down the government because he would not withdraw his signature legislature the Affordable Care Act which was already the law of the land. PROVE TO ME WHERE THIS PRESIDENT HAS NO ETHICS?! He promised the American people he would get us out of Iraq and not put troops on the ground. So far, he has worked towards his promise but things in the Middle East has a way of making the US do a U-turn. I can assure you the ACA will not be repealed during his last two years because he will veto such. What might happen after him is anybody's guess, but it will not be easy. Clinton, if elected, will not be a pushover for the GOP, either. In the Clinton administration, she tried desperately to create a bill for universal health care for Americans who could not afford such, but was forced to drop it by the GOP who had nothing to replace it. Obama was more successful with his venture. If Hillary Clinton is not elected, and a Repuke gets the presidency, I think they will try to repeal the health act, but it will be a Pyrrhic Victory‎, one won at too great a price for Republicans.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 02:22 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
He promised to close it.
http://rt.com/usa/195040-obama-congress-gitmo-closure/
Olivier5

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 02:25 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Obama is the commander in chief and Gitmo is a military prison. He can close it whenever he wants to.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 02:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
From your article:
The White House however says he is not planning to override the law.

Quote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
He promised to close it

And when he promised to close it I do not believe he was aware the congress would OPPOSE him in everything. Meanwhile, he is still in office, and such might come about. Why not wait until after the man has left office and see if he's kept his word. At that time if he has failed you, then you might howl at the top of your lungs, "Obama has no ethics, etc."

I have read President Obama, of his own volition, might release some prisoners who clearly are not guilty of anything.

Since Obama is on his way out, it will be interesting if some of the GOP might be interested is reaching across the isle, and passing a bill to close GITMO.

Regardless, no matter how one views it, there is no reason to claim this president has no ethics or backbone....what are you talking about?!? You act as if President Obama has ABSOLUTE POWER and can act unilaterally. The president's action reveals he is a thoughtful president, and makes his own decision, not like W who allowed Cheney to be the de Facto president. I wish the previous government, GWB, has thought long and hard before invading Iraq at the expense of so many lost lives, Iraqis, Americans, etc. President Obama is a breath of fresh air after that poor excuse of a president.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 02:49 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
CI, I must leave now. I'm on my way to a seminar. I will respond to you tomorrow or Thursday.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2014 02:52 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Obama is the commander in chief and Gitmo is a military prison. He can close it whenever he wants to.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tom-engelhardt/guantanamo-bay-closing_b_3415305.html