Snowdon is a dummy

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 12:32 pm
@revelette2,
It's great that you believe in these executive orders, but I don't. I just don't trust all the different government agencies that hold prisoners to live by the book. They have all been known to lie - even to congress.
BillRM

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 12:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI the US founding fathers fear having a large standing army as they saw having such was an ongoing danger to our republic and England always have a large navy but whenever possible also kept it army small for similar reasons.

However it seems in today world that the real danger to our republic is having a way over funded and out of control intelligence community.

An intelligence community that is targeting the American people and the other branches of government more then foreign threats.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 12:54 pm
@revelette2,
Acting US legal advisor Mary McLeod told the 10-member UN Committee on Torture yesterday that
"The US is proud of its record as a leader in respecting, promoting and defending human rights and the rule of law, both at home and around the world."
"But in the wake of 9/11 attacks, we regrettably did not always live up to our own values."
"We crossed the line and we take responsibility for that."
revelette2

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 12:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
True we did not, but this president at least stopped that. He may have disappointed in other ways.
revelette2

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 12:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You are getting to be a silly man.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 12:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Walter is going to defend his country wherever possible even if it involves contorting some things to show it in its best light, Revelette,
I'n NOT defended anything here. I'm just giving my opinion about published reports and facts.
And fact is that our foreign intelligence service seems to have acted outside the law - that's what the parliamentary committee is investigating.
The domestic agencies (both federal as well as especially those of some states) - well, they stumble from one scandal to next one. But as far as I know, that's not related to Snowden, the Snowden documents or similar. But it could be, too.

Damn, I wish I coulda placed a bet on this. I would have bet the ranch that you would respond this way.

You are defending your country, Walter...and you back it very consistently. You are much more positive in your views and comments about Germany...than negative.

Many of the Americans here have much more negative to say about our country than positive.
BillRM

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 01:06 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
but this president at least stopped that.

Sure he did................as a US president have never out right lied to the American people with the first President that I personally remember doing so was President Eisenhower and the U2 incident.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 01:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Many of the Americans here have much more negative to say about our country than positive

True, you know what they say, "with friends like these.."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 01:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
You are much more positive in your views and comments about Germany...than negative.
No doubt - otherwise, I would emigrate.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 01:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
You are much more positive in your views and comments about Germany...than negative.
No doubt - otherwise, I would emigrate.

Exactly!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 02:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Exactly!
On the other hand: why should I?
My paternal ancestors live here (more or less: exactly here) since at least 730 years. (And certainly a lot longer, since the first known Hinteler already could write in 1287 and owned quite a bit of land)

But one of them didn't like it here in the 19th century (NYC address books from 1874 resp, 1891) ...

http://i60.tinypic.com/2i2bu6q.jpg

Mission failed:

http://i60.tinypic.com/33o09xk.jpg

Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 02:57 pm
@revelette2,
Sure, I'm a silly man for actually understanding how our government operates.

From Human Rights Watch.
Quote:
US: Torture Treaty Shift Significant but Inadequate
Treaty Prohibitions Apply Wherever State Has ‘Effective Control’

NOVEMBER 13, 2014

Submission to the United Nations Committee against Torture
OCTOBER 20, 2014 Written statement
Letter to President Obama on Convention against Torture
OCTOBER 29, 2014 Letter
While the Obama administration is distancing itself from discredited Bush-era interpretations of the Convention against Torture, it is still unwilling to accept its full obligations under the treaty. The US should explicitly accept that the treaty applies anywhere the US exercises ‘effective control,’ including any detention centers overseas.
Laura Pitter, national security counsel
(Geneva) – A US statement on compliance with the Convention against Torture on November 12, 2014, improves on previous US positions on the treaty’s application but falls short of international obligations, Human Rights Watch said today. The US is appearing for its regular review before the United Nations Committee Against Torture on November 12-13 in Geneva.

Ahead of the review, Human Rights Watch and other nongovernmental organizations wrote to President Barack Obama to urge him to reject the position advanced by the administration of George W. Bush that certain obligations under the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment only applied within US territory.

“While the Obama administration is distancing itself from discredited Bush-era interpretations of the Convention against Torture, it is still unwilling to accept its full obligations under the treaty,” said Laura Pitter, national security counsel at Human Rights Watch, who is attending the US review in Geneva. “The US should explicitly accept that the treaty applies anywhere the US exercises ‘effective control,’ including any detention centers overseas.”
revelette2

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 03:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I can't pretend to understand the language, however, from what I read of the executive order, I thought it pretty much did do just that. I could be wrong. It seems the person in your article thought so. However, we haven't heard from the other side. Effect control is probably different than control, but I will still wait to hear back from our President because I know this is out of my league.

What I meant by saying silly is that you seem to always give other countries above and beyond the benefit of the doubt and even make excuses, but you are always ready to think we are the worse country on earth. I really have no idea of why you stay here since it is clear you have the means to live elsewhere. Why not move to Germany?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 03:46 pm
@revelette2,
I believe what you are missing is that torture is still allowed outside the US - like in Gitmo or other US military prisons outside the US. Obama's directive stopped short of those authorized by GW Bush.

I criticize the US because it's the country of my birth and citizenship. What other countries do is waaaaaaay beyond my ability to opine with any knowledge. Our country has the Constitution; it 'should be' the law of the land, but our government after swearing to uphold it, break its laws. There's much room for criticism.

It's also the country where I received relatively 'free' education and welfare as children, and the opportunities that became available after I earned my college degree. It provided my family and I a very good living; something that's disappearing from the landscape of this country because of the shortsightedness of our governments. From that background, I feel there needs to be more rhetorical challenges against what our governments do that are destructive to this country and our children.

revelette2

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 04:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am not sure, I didn't gather that. I admit it is over my head, but I don't think that is right. If it is, then, that is where I draw the line in my support of the President. I will wait until I hear of the response.

I am glad you have benefited so much, I am sure you have worked hard and have earned every bit of your success.

I only wish you would not be so quick to give up on believing in the country of your birth and choice.
revelette2

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 04:44 pm
Quote:
(CNSNews.com) – A State Department official told a United Nations panel Wednesday that the United States “did not always live up to our own values” after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and she announced that the U.S. now acknowledges that a ban against torture applies in areas beyond its sovereign jurisdiction, including Guantanamo Bay and on U.S.-registered ships and aircraft.

“As President Obama has acknowledged, we crossed the line and we take responsibility for that,” acting legal adviser Mary McLeod told the Geneva-based U.N. Committee Against Torture, a body of legal experts that monitors implementation of the 1984 Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.

“The United States is proud of its record as a leader in respecting, promoting, and defending human rights and the rule of law, both at home and around the world,” she said. “But in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, we regrettably did not always live up to our own values, including those reflected in the convention.”

McLeod announced a change in government policy, that the U.S. now acknowledges the extraterritorial application of the convention’s article 16, under which each state party commits to prohibiting cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment “in any territory under its jurisdiction.”

She told the committee the U.S. understands that its obligations extend to certain areas that are beyond its sovereign territory but in which it exercises control as a governmental authority.

“We have determined that the United States currently exercises such control at the U.S. Naval Station at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and with respect to U.S. registered ships and aircraft,” she said.

[/b]There should be no doubt,” McLeod concluded, “the United States affirms that torture and cruel, inhuman, and degrading treatment and punishment are prohibited at all times in all places, and we remain resolute in our adherence to these prohibitions.”

The announcement marks a shift from the stance of the Bush administration, which told the Committee Against Torture in 2006 that the provisions of the convention were geographically limited to America’s de jure territory.

The committee at the time responded that the U.S. “should recognize and ensure that the provisions of the convention expressed as applicable to ‘territory under the state party’s jurisdiction’ apply to, and are fully enjoyed, by all persons under the effective control of its authorities, of whichever type, wherever located in the world.”

In his remarks to the committee Wednesday, U.S. assistant secretary Tom Malinowski also touched on the post-9/11 period.

“We do not claim to be perfect,” he said. “A little more than ten years ago, our government was employing interrogation methods that, as President Obama has said, any fair-minded person would believe were torture.

“At the same time, the test for any nation committed to this convention and to the rule of law is not whether it ever makes mistakes, but whether and how it corrects them,” Malinowski said.

Today, he said, “U.S. national security agencies now arguably have more explicit safeguards against torture and cruelty than those of any other country on earth. They can and should be a model for others.”

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki told a briefing in Washington that the stance announced in Geneva on article 16 of the convention was “in contrast to positions previously taken by the U.S. government.”

“We have established laws and procedures to strengthen the safeguards against torture and cruel treatment,” she said. “We’ve stated how applicable we believe the convention is and our own laws are.”

Asked whether that meant compensation or apologies would be offered to people who had been held without charge for years, or who had perhaps been waterboarded, Psaki said, “I don’t believe that was a part of the discussion, no.”

National Security Council spokeswoman Bernadette Meehan said in a statement Wednesday that the U.S. delegation appearing before the committee in Geneva had also clarified the U.S. view that the convention continues to apply when a state is engaged in armed conflict.

The 10 current members are the Committee Against Torture are experts from China, Chile, Denmark, Georgia, Italy, Mauritius, Morocco, Nepal, Senegal and the United States.

source
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 04:46 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
I only wish you would not be so quick to give up on believing in the country of your birth and choice.

My so any exercise of the right to address misdeeds by our government is giving up believing in his country???!!!!????

Only cheer leading type support for the current government is valid for anyone who love his nation?

Not believing in the current leadership and the current government due to their own behaviors is not the same as not believing in the nation and what it can be and should be if we can get some honest people into power that will follow the constitution both by it letter and it spirit.
revelette2

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 04:50 pm
@BillRM,
CI said himself that it does not matter what we do, the country has no chance to get better. In any definition, that is giving up which is why he did not vote.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 05:37 pm
@revelette2,
Read Bill's post; you might learn something of value about being a citizen of this country and vilifying our citizens and the broken government.

The new leadership of the congress is already threatening Obama about immigration reform. If he acts alone, he's going to 'pay.'

That's very funny coming from the party of gridlock and nonperformance for the past six years. All of a sudden, they're interested in 'creating jobs.' LMAO

This is what the voters wrought; the party of "do it my way or the highway."

I'm really enjoying this tragic comedy.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2014 05:38 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

My so any exercise of the right to address misdeeds by our government is giving up believing in his country???!!!!????

Only cheer leading type support for the current government is valid for anyone who love his nation?

Not believing in the current leadership and the current government due to their own behaviors is not the same as not believing in the nation and what it can be and should be if we can get some honest people into power that will follow the constitution both by it letter and it spirit.

I have no idea of what "believing in the current leadership" is supposed to mean...

...but I can tell you this:

Barack Obama has been as good and effective a president as was Ronald Reagan...and has done a hell of a lot less damage to our nation morally and economically than Reagan did.

But your opponents, Bill, consider Ronald Reagan to be a major success, with many considering him to be damn near a god...

...while people like you and others here almost manufacture fault with Obama.

Some of the crap going on disgusts me...and should disgust anyone with a sense of balance.

There are Americans who SHOULD KNOW BETTER who are aiding and abetting the American far right in this ill-advised attempt to show that they can criticize with the best of 'em.

So it is your right...all of you.

Continue to do it.

And you eventually will reap what you are sowing.

In the meantime, I repeat: People who should know better and who should be showing better restraint...but who continue down this destructive path...DISGUST ME.

But, hey, I'm just one person.