Snowdon is a dummy

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 08:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Malay Mail Online mentions that in its report, Walter.
Quote:
In an interview with Italy's La Nazione daily this week, Iraq's ambassador to the Holy See, Habib Al Sadr, said "what has been declared by the self-declared Islamic State is clear. They want to kill the pope. The threats against the pope are credible."

I referred to the report in Il Messaggero, not the later interview in La Nazione.

Yesterday's (the above linked report is updated today) Il Messaggero report is just about the Italian security due to a "bomb alarm". It doesn't mention what is done in Vatican City by the Corps of Gendarmerie of Vatican City.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 08:19 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Quote:
Frankly, I hope the current and former U.S. officials are lying.

Don't worry Frank, I am sure Bill and/or others will come along soon and say with absolute certainty "they are lying."

True! Wink
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 08:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Malay Mail Online mentions that in its report, Walter.
Quote:
In an interview with Italy's La Nazione daily this week, Iraq's ambassador to the Holy See, Habib Al Sadr, said "what has been declared by the self-declared Islamic State is clear. They want to kill the pope. The threats against the pope are credible."

I referred to the report in Il Messaggero, not the later interview in La Nazione.

Yesterday's (the above linked report is updated today) Il Messaggero report is just about the Italian security due to a "bomb alarm". It doesn't mention what is done in Vatican City by the Corps of Gendarmerie of Vatican City.

You've got me totally confused now.

You made a comment about my post...something to the effect that apparently the Malaymailonline I quoted cannot read Italian, because the Italian report mentioned the Iraqi Ambassador to the Holy See.

I mentioned that IT DID.

That is what I am dealing with...not the differences between various news reports written in Italian.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 08:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
European (and especially German) media are relating the AP-report to what Clapper said this week: he said the agencies under his command, including the National Security Agency, had to "throttle back" on some intelligence collection "because we need to recover foreign intelligence partnerships and commercial partnerships."
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 08:51 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

European (and especially German) media are relating the AP-report to what Clapper said this week: he said the agencies under his command, including the National Security Agency, had to "throttle back" on some intelligence collection "because we need to recover foreign intelligence partnerships and commercial partnerships."

Sounds to me like a reasonable thing to say, Walter. My guess is...it sounds to you like a reasonable thing to say. My further guess is...damn near anyone hearing it will think it is a reasonable thing to say.

But do I think he and the agencies will do it?

50 - 50 at very best. He has got to say those kinds of thing...people want to hear it...but that does not mean that a good spy will always tell the truth.

What do I hope?

I hope they do not throttle back one tiny bit.

My position...get all the information you can and deal with any fall-out if you get caught spying on allies.

Also...try not to get caught.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 08:55 am
@revelette2,
Nothing important, just some brouhaha around my use of the term 'Islamist'.
revelette2

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 09:16 am
@Olivier5,
I understand, you were not really talking about terrorist, but Muslims in general. Not sure why it would be more than you cared to count, but anyway, I was making a point not really connected to your main point. I am not excusing myself, just that sometimes, I don't go back and read the beginning of a conversation but just see a phrase that jumps out at me so to speak and go from there. I need to break myself from that bad habit.

Side note; if anyone thinks I am doing it again, feel free to point it out to me with no hard feelings.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 09:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Personally I hope that if they are really not going to do it or have been doing it, they would just not say anything about it to start with rather than just announcing a big lie which could be found out at a later date and just make everything much worse.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 09:19 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
Jeepers, I did not realize President Obama were himself spying on Merkel. I knew at one time NSA was involved but had not revealed this to the President. I realize Obama had apologized to Chancellor Angela Merkel for what NSA did. Are you inferring Obama is involved with this still?!

I am saying this spying on allies damages the relationship with allies, at a time when America's capacities and appetite to act alone are low and therefore old alliances become more important. That's a lose-lose scenario for everybody in NATO, including the US.

Quote:
Countries spying on each other is a fact of life! It is reality. Personally, Oliver5, I don't think you have the capability to change this.

Not all by myself, no... :-) But if enough people think these PARTICULAR mass spying programs by the US should be repelled, they WILL be repelled eventually.

Quote:
Let's look at it this way, what you imply is a remote possibility, but in practice, I just don't believe such will occur simply because presidential elections are scrutinized too closely for any formal malapropos!

You mean, like the 2000 election was scrutinized to avoid any malapropos?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 09:29 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Personally I hope that if they are really not going to do it or have been doing it, they would just not say anything about it to start with rather than just announcing a big lie which could be found out at a later date and just make everything much worse.
Agreed. It would be a huge damage to what is left of the USA's reputation.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 09:32 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I am saying this spying on allies damages the relationship with allies...

Actually, it doesn't, Olivier.

"Getting caught spying on allies" occasionally damages the relationships. But even on those occasions, it really has more to do with the general publicity given the "getting caught."

If the CIA catches an ally spying on us...no big deal. My guess is that every ally we have spies on us in one way or another. But if the newspapers get hold of the story, because someone spills the beans...well then there can be a problem.

When that happens...as it did with Snowden...everyone has to pretend that they are surpised, astonished, and offended.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 09:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

revelette2 wrote:
Agreed. It would be a huge damage to what is left of the USA's reputation.

We are going to spy on you...and you Germans are going to spy on us.

Get over it.

And try not to get caught.
revelette2

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 10:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
What I am saying is why have a big announcement in the first place if it was just a lie? I mean it really wasn't a big concession for those who have been offended because the reason they give is that the fall out was bigger than the returns. Moreover, they didn't say they were quitting, but "throttle back" in the hopes of regaining what they have lost.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 10:26 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
Don't worry Frank, I am sure Bill and/or others will come along soon and say with absolute certainty "they are lying."

Odd that you wish to overlook constant lying and still grant the intelligence community the benefit of the doubt over and over and over.

There is a very old saying that go "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 10:44 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Odd that you wish to overlook constant lying and still grant the intelligence community the benefit of the doubt over and over and over.

There is a very old saying that go "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".

Is that your way of saying, "They ARE lying?"

Kinda what Revelette predicted.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 11:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
"Getting caught spying on allies" occasionally damages the relationships. But even on those occasions, it really has more to do with the general publicity given the "getting caught."

One could make the same argument about raping a woman in her sleep... If she doesn't notice, no harm's done, right?...

But since for any crime, the chances of getting caught are proportional to the frequency of the act, mass spying implied massive chances of being leaked at one point or another to the press, and to damage the relationship with allies...
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 11:22 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Since for any crime, the chances of getting caught are proportional to the intensity of the frequency of the act, mass spying implied massive chances of being leaked at one point or another to the press, and to damage the relationship with allies. Which is where we are now...

My point, Olivier, is that any damage that occurs is caused by getting caught spying...(particularly if publicly disclosed)...not by the spying itself.

And in any case, I would bet big money that we are going to spy on anyone we can, including "allies"...and we expect anyone who can spy on us, will, including "allies."

I also think that since we Americans probably have the greatest resources for spying...we will be the ones doing the "massive" amounts of it. I also think (guess) that we share much, much, much more of it than most people think.

That is truly where we are now.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 11:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Actually, it doesn't, Olivier.

If the CIA catches an ally spying on us...no big deal. My guess is that every ally we have spies on us in one way or another. But if the newspapers get hold of the story, because someone spills the beans...well then there can be a problem.

I'm in total agreement with you, Frank Apisa. Given the phenomenon that each country accepts the reality that they are being spied on to one degree or another, not too much is going to be made of it UNLESS the media gets hold of such and runs with it. Then the country being spied on has to perform for its citizens, let out a cry, such as Chancellor Angela Merkel did....(Meanwhile Germany most likely is deeply involved in spying on the US and other countries.). Spying is an inevitable act as each country tries to keep up with the other and possibly surpass if possible. Technical intelligence is intended primarily to allow the armed forces to avoid technological surprise from other countries. Knowledge of the characteristics and capabilities of enemy weapons allows nations to develop effective countermeasures for them. This process is called defense building, knowing what the other is up to instead of going in blind.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 11:50 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:
Then the country being spied on has to perform for its citizens, let out a cry, such as Chancellor Angela Merkel did....
Meanwhile, I'm quite certain that most Americans will never understand what effects our (Nazi and GDR) history had on us, our society, constitution and laws.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2014 11:56 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Quote:Moment-in-Time wrote:

Let's look at it this way, what you imply is a remote possibility, but in practice, I just don't believe such will occur simply because presidential elections are scrutinized too closely for any formal malapropos!

Quote:
You mean, like the 2000 election was scrutinized to avoid any malapropos?

You have misinterpreted my post. Presidential election 2000 has no bearing on what Edward Snowden has done. What occurred in 2000 was not acted out in secrecy. The American people were glued to their TVs waiting for results. Initially, Gore was called the winner, only a few minutes later, they rescinded that information. Thus began the hand count, which was later interrupted as GWB's lead began to fade. In jumps the former Secretary of State, James Baker, who refuses to see the hand count process through. Americans were watching this scenario unfold. This wasn't something done furtively, surreptitiously behind closed doors! This was done in full glare of the media!

Baker takes the unresolved election results to a PARTISAN United States Supreme Court! SCOTUS then gave the United States Presidency to the most UNQUALIFIED candidate in American history, GEORGE W BUSH!

I still agonize at the developments of the 2000 election!