Snowdon is a dummy

izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 03:46 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Scratch an liberal American like you and there's an imperialist just under the surface. Don't you ever get tired of telling us citizens of lesser nations what to do? I know you think you think you know what's best for us, that we should thank you for spying on us, and for bullying our governments into denying Snowden asylum. How dare any of us mention Guantanamo Bay when you're lecturing us about the wonders of American jurisprudence, (which btw, only seems so wonderful to you because you've got nothing to compare it to, those of us that have aren't quite so doughy eyed.)

For an academic you've got a very monochromatic view of the world, it's all or nothing with you and Frank. If you criticise any part of the American government you hate all over America, and its people, even American's like CI! However you want to paint it, CI doesn't appear remotely self loathing just someone who thinks his country could do better. You may think America is perfect and beyond reproach, but thank **** for people like CI who haven't swallowed all that Martha Stewart highly saccharined bullshit.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 03:49 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Pay attention Izzy and Oliver, before you condemn the government of the U S of A maybe you should try to cure the sins of your own governments.

When did Britain last torture prisoners and detain them without trial? Guantanamo Bay is uniquely American, and a total aberration for a democracy in the 21st Century.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 03:51 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Moment-in-Time wrote:
All countries spy. It is said by experts (60 Minutes Program) that our State Department is riddled with Israeli spies. Spying on the US including Israel, are Russia, France, Germany, etc. Countries spying on each other has been going on since it was discovered how to do so.

Sanctimonious crap. Provide evidence of Merkel's government spying on Obama.

****, or get off the pot.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 04:01 pm
@izzythepush,
It isn't surprising that Americans actually wish to ignore and defend the crimes our government that continues in them in the name of 'democracy.'

Our defense of Israel is proof enough!
Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 04:04 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You just don't think we should be allowed to have an opinion about that.

You continue to miss the point, izzythepush. You may spout as many negatives statements/opinions you wish regarding the US. That doesn't bother me; I only wish you and posters like you would allow others the same freedom without trying to rip them apart because their beliefs clash with your. I want nothing from you except respect in exchange for mine.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 04:07 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:

Scratch an liberal American like you and there's an imperialist just under the surface. Don't you ever get tired of telling us citizens of lesser nations what to do? I know you think you think you know what's best for us, that we should thank you for spying on us, and for bullying our governments into denying Snowden asylum. How dare any of us mention Guantanamo Bay when you're lecturing us about the wonders of American jurisprudence, (which btw, only seems so wonderful to you because you've got nothing to compare it to, those of us that have aren't quite so doughy eyed.)

For an academic you've got a very monochromatic view of the world, it's all or nothing with you and Frank. If you criticise any part of the American government you hate all over America, and its people, even American's like CI! However you want to paint it, CI doesn't appear remotely self loathing just someone who thinks his country could do better. You may think America is perfect and beyond reproach, but thank **** for people like CI who haven't swallowed all that Martha Stewart highly saccharined bullshit.

Izzythepush, you really have some kind of an emotional hangup and I find your psychological makeup a little too much for me to digest. Go in peace.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 04:55 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
Olivier5, I know where you're going and you're on your own.

Gitmo is one big reason why people don't trust the US justice system. Too much torture and illegality. If you guys want to be credible, give a fair trial to the people ALREADY in your custody... Clean up your backlog.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

The history of spying doesn't make it right, if one understands the word 'trust.'

Why must you spy on your wife/husband if you trust her/him? Because they may cheat on you? Forget trust, and what do you have? Nothing.

I understand you, CI, far more than you will ever believe. Some of us are more sensitive than others. With this rather new NSF technology allowing the government to spy not only on other countries but their own citizens, no, it's not right. I am one of those Americans whom this NSF feature doesn't bother because everywhere I go there are cameras. On street corners when I drive, at the ATM when I deposit or get funds; any credit card has one's Social Security, anytime you give info on Facebook or subscribe to journals, newspapers, they find out something about you. With an up-to-date computer and cross-checking one may find out practically everything about another. We just don't like the idea that Big Brother is watching, but they are, and frankly there's not too much we can do about it. We would not have known about the NSF spying if not for Snowden, and one is not too sure this NSF spying will ever be totally gotten rid of.

Senator Diane Feinstein called out the CIA for searching the Committee' computers. She accused the Agency of sabotaging the oversight efforts of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, which she chairs, and thus the separation of powers; engaging in “a potential effort to intimidate this staff,” by accusing them of “hacking”; breaking its word; and breaking the law.

Now that specific act, IMO, was intensely personal and I would like to see John Brennan, the director of the C.I.A. fired. That particular scenario in my personal opinion is different from the rich metadata taken by the NSF. With the NSF they could never read the bulk of all the hundreds of million material retrieved....the NSF is looking for *patterns* of certain groups. This technology came into use under the Bush/Cheney administration who was also prominent in torturing people.

No, it's not right that Americans are spied on, but then again, there is just so much going on around us all the time and we're unaware, really, of just what our government is up to. Senator Feinstein appeared to be against Snowden for stealing NSF classified documents and absconding to keep from being apprehended by the authorities, but she sure was angry at the CIA.

I don't feel in anyway affected by the NSF but do feel highly annoyed by what happened to Senator Feinstein and commiserate with her plight.

A significant number of people feel the way you do, CI, violated in some way by the NSF. I am not one of them. The US is trying one venue to keep a step ahead of the terrorist and this is their justification for keeping track on certain groups.

You and I will continue to remain friends despite this vast difference; I value you as a poster. I also understand your outbursts which might be caused by sheer frustration. Sometimes I feel the same way and go overboard in describing people and posters I abhor.

Gotta leave now. Dinner out tonight.....something special.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Quote:
Old Saxon: *spehōn
Middle Low German: spēgen, spējen, spēen, spēn
Old Norse: speja, spæja
Icelandic: speja, spæja
Norwegian: speide
Swedish: speja
Danish: speide
Old Frankish: *spehōn
Old Dutch: *spehōn
Middle Dutch: spien, spieden
Dutch: spieden, bespieden
Old French: espier
Middle French: espier
French: épier
Middle English: aspien, espier, spien
Scots: aspy, espy, spy
English: aspy, espy, spy
Italian: spiare
Old High German: spehōn
Middle High German: spëhen
German: spähen

Wow! Walter! You are simply terrific. I've learned much from you, but this is not the first time you have taught me new information on this and that. Thank you.

Have a great evening.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:24 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

And people like you should hang their head in shame for trying to shut up people who have the guts to criticize bad government when they are subjected to it.

I've never done that, Rabel...and as I have told you a couple of times, I criticize bad government often...in newspapers with letters and op ed pieces...SIGNING MY OWN NAME and with the city in which I live.

So stop insisting that I am trying to stop people with the guts to do that...because it doesn't take much in the way of guts to do it while using an alias on the Internet.

And if it is done as often as some here do it...it is worthwhile to call attention to that.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:26 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
People like ci ought to hang their heads in shame...and grow the spine necessary to leave the country if it seems as ethically polluted as apparently it does to him.

Nah, frank. Such criticism is a dutiful thing, not a traitorous thing. You're well aware of the seriously bad stuff the CIA has gotten up to in the past. You know what Nixon's crowd got up to. You know the Cheney cabal's sins. You know there are people like these who seek power or arrive in power and proceed to lie through their teeth to citizens. You know informed democracy is thwarted by such people and such acts. You know that the only means of combating such is close attention by citizens and by media and the courage to push back against the abuses of power.

Any American who takes as much pleasure in calling this country a sewer as does ci...deserves everything I am sending his way, Bernie.

And once again...it doesn't take much "courage" to do it repeatedly and constantly...while using an alias on the Internet.

Not much courage at all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:26 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Cameras on street corners, banks, shopping malls, and road crossings do not affect anyone who follows the rules. Nothing they film can be used for any other purpose than to confirm a crime, accident or anything considered criminal. It's not communication, it's activity that they record. They can prove the innocence or guilt from the recorded video.. It protects everyone.

The NSA's mass data collection is determined illegal under our Constitution, because they must have cause to listen into private communication and to get prior court order. It doesn't protect us; it intrudes into our privacy.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The history of spying doesn't make it right, if one understands the word 'trust.'

Why must you spy on your wife/husband if you trust her/him? Because they may cheat on you? Forget trust, and what do you have? Nothing.

What would you call someone who constantly and repeatedly publicly bad-mouthed his/her spouse...and then tried to justify it by saying it was deserved. Someone who agrees with a person outside the marriage...publicly saying that the spouse is a bit of scum.

When you come up with what you would call that person...you will be describing yourself with regard to this country, ci.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:30 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Gitmo is not a "bizarre attempted tie in," it's a fact about American justice, torture and detention without trial, all very recent if not currently happening.

When your government started to do all that, it trashed the US's good name. You just don't think we should be allowed to have an opinion about that.

Continue to treat us like we are a disease, Izzy. There will be Americans here anxious to tell you how right you are.

We will still we consider you our friends and allies...and will come to your defense if and when it becomes necessary.

But exercise your right to consider us beneath contempt.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It isn't surprising that Americans actually wish to ignore and defend the crimes our government that continues in them in the name of 'democracy.'

Our defense of Israel is proof enough!

Consider Izzy's remarks in defense of his country above, ci.

You won't see him constantly and repeatedly bad-mouthing his country...or even acknowledging the great wrongs done by the British when they were a powerhouse.

Olivier has never, that I remember, said anything negative about France.

They use you...because you are willing to bad-mouth your country...and they love to hear you do it.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I did, including on this thread.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 06:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Espionage is from French EspionNage, which is from old Frankish (i.e. German) spehôn.

Quote:

Épier
Étymol. et Hist. 1. Ca 1100 espier « trahir » (Roland, éd. J. Bédier, 1147), emploi isolé; 2. a) 1155 « observer attentivement, essayer de découvrir (quelque chose) » (Wace, Brut, éd. I. Arnold, 8966); b) 1160-74 « observer attentivement et secrètement (une personne, un animal) » (Id., Rou, éd. A. J. Holden, II, 569). De l'a. b. frq. [FROM OLD FRANKISH] *spehôn « observer attentivement »; cf. a. h. all. spehôn de même sens (Graff t. 6, col. 323), all. [GERMAN] spähen.

Espion
Étymol. et Hist. Ca 1200 « individu qui se mêle aux ennemis pour les épier » (Chevalier cygne, éd. C. Hippeau, 2980), attest. isolée; 1380 (Trad. fr. de Végèce, éd. J. Camus ds Romania t. 25, p. 397), id.; 1509 (J. Marot, Œuvres, éd. Coustelier, p. 113 ds Barb. Misc. 9, no15). Dér. de l'a. fr. espier (épier*), suff. -on1*. Le s, disparu de la prononc. dès le xiiies., a été rétabli début xvies., prob., à l'occasion des campagnes d'Italie, sous l'infl. de l'ital. spione « espion », attesté dep. le xiiies.

http://www.cnrtl.fr/etymologie/espion

Emphasis and [] added.

The definition needs updating:
"individu qui se mêle aux ennemis et aux amis pour les épier"...

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 06:49 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

I did, including on this thread.

Okay...so show me you doing it as often and as enthusiastically as ci does when tearing the United States apart in post after post.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 07:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It would have to be on a thread about France...

I did say waaaay upthread that the reason France is not helping Germany on this one is that our own espionnage is using pretty shoddy tricks too. The Renseignements Généraux have a long history of spying on French political parties, social activists and religious institutions (I mean mosques and sects monitoring, which I actually think is a valid police role).
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 07:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

It would have to be on a thread about France...

I did say waaaay upthread that the reason France is not helping Germany on this one is that our own espionnage is using pretty shoddy tricks too. The Renseignements Généraux have a long history of spying on French political parties, social activists and religious institutions (I mean mosques and sects monitoring, which I actually think is a valid police role).

Fine...and I am not asking you to link to it, Olivier. It would be too much work...demand too much searching.

But I could link to ci pissing on the United States with no trouble at all.

So you said that your intelligence agencies have used "pretty shoddy tricks also."

Do you honestly think that compares with the savaging ci does on a regular and frequent basis toward the United States?

C'mon...even you can concede that.