Snowdon is a dummy

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 11:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Unfortunately nobody is a mind reader, so what you're saying isn't possible, but the indiscriminate collection of vast amounts of data isn't the solution.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 11:45 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You wrote,
Quote:
And since there are laws regarding a search, I have to submit to it, if the legal procedure had been done correctly.

How would you know it was done correctly if it's done in secret?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 11:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
The only people who should be targeted...are people who are going to commit terroristic activities.

Change it to "The only people who should be targeted...are those people that the police have reasonable grounds to suspect may be engaged in criminal activity, within reason."

Violent criminals are as detrimental to our health as terrorists, but not all criminal activity warrants such a high level of surveillance, not paying a TV licence for instance.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 12:06 pm
@izzythepush,
You wrote, and I agree with,
Quote:
Change it to "The only people who should be targeted...are those people that the police have reasonable grounds to suspect may be engaged in criminal activity, within reason."

They need to apply statistical formulas to who they can suspect as those who "may be engaged in criminal activity - with reason."

Any intelligence agency who bothers to keep track of anything I do is a statistical waste of their time.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 12:07 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Unfortunately nobody is a mind reader, so what you're saying isn't possible...

BINGO!

Quote:
...but the indiscriminate collection of vast amounts of data isn't the solution.

There may not be a "solution", Izzy...but doing what they are doing is at least making an attempt. You may disagree with the attempt...but some fine minds agree...so maybe they are correct.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 12:09 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
The only people who should be targeted...are people who are going to commit terroristic activities.

Violent criminals are as detrimental to our health as terrorists, but not all criminal activity warrants such a high level of surveillance, not paying a TV licence for instance.

OKAY...then we can agree that "they" should target only people who can reasonably be expected to engage in terroristic activities...or who hang out in places where terrorists hand out.

How does that work for you?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 12:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

We don't have secret courts. Any legal decision done secretly is null and void, and those who dealt with it will loose their jobs and go in prison.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 12:23 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

We don't have secret courts.

Right!

Or at least, no whistle blower has come along yet to disclose that you have...right?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 12:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Right!

Or at least, no whistle blower has come along yet to disclose that you have...right?
??? Are you really suggesting that we could have secret courts???
Quote:
Article 101
[Ban on extraordinary courts]

(1) Extraordinary courts shall not be allowed. No one may be removed from the jurisdiction of his lawful judge.

(2) Courts for particular fields of law may be established only by a law.

If so, it's not only the first time I've heard of such an idea but that really would bring down our complete legal and political system. (We even don't have military courts.)
JPB

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 12:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
From Glenn Greenwald's piece in The Guardian.

Quote:
Defending the Obama administration, Paul Krugman pronounced that "the NSA stuff is a policy dispute, not the kind of scandal the right wing wants." Really? In what conceivable sense is this not a serious scandal? If you, as an American citizen, let alone a journalist, don't find it deeply objectionable when top national security officials systematically mislead your representatives in Congress about how the government is spying on you, and repeatedly lie publicly about resulting political controversies over that spying, what is objectionable? If having the NSA engage in secret, indiscriminate domestic spying that warps if not outright violates legal limits isn't a "scandal", then what is?

For many media and political elites, the answer to that question seems clear: what's truly objectionable to them is when powerless individuals blow the whistle on deceitful national security state officials. Hence the endless fixation on Edward Snowden's tone and choice of asylum providers, the flamboyant denunciations of this "29-year-old hacker" for the crime of exposing what our government leaders are doing in the dark, and all sorts of mockery over the drama that resulted from the due-process-free revocation of his passport. This is what our media stars and progressive columnists, pundits and bloggers are obsessing over in the hope of distracting attention away from the surveillance misconduct of top-level Obama officials and their serial deceit about it. Full article

Exactly!

For what it's worth, by lines are commonplace in our media. I don't think there's any significance to the fact that there's a byline, that (based on his name) he's Jewish, or that he's American. Doe The Guardian not normally publish bylines?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 12:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Right!

??? Are you really suggesting that we could have secret courts???

Are you really suggesting that the German people are not capable of being duped?

Quote:
Article 101
[Ban on extraordinary courts]

(1) Extraordinary courts shall not be allowed. No one may be removed from the jurisdiction of his lawful judge.

(2) Courts for particular fields of law may be established only by a law.

Wow. I guess that settles it. At least for Germans...who feel they cannot be duped.

Quote:
If so, it's not only the first time I've heard of such an idea but that really would bring down our complete legal and political system. (We even don't have military courts.)

For the record, I am not saying you guys do have secret courts...or that you secretly spy on other (supposedly friendly) nations, Walter.

But are you suggesting it is beyond the realm of possibility?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:02 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
Doe The Guardian not normally publish bylines?
Usually, bylines consists just of the name and are published between the headline and the text of the article

Examples from today's Guardian:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2e64pau.jpghttp://i43.tinypic.com/6o3991.jpg

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Secret courts? Yes. That would be totally impossible.

... or only after a revolution or if we become a satellite state without a constitution after a war or similar.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:08 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Secret courts? Yes. That would be totally impossible.

... or only after a revolution or if we become a satellite state without a constitution after a war or similar.

I guess you are right.

Same here, by the way.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'd thought that the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court is a secret court.

Quote:
A former federal judge who granted government surveillance requests has broken ranks to criticise the system of secret courts as unfit for purpose in the wake of recent revelations by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.

James Robertson, who retired from the District of Columbia circuit in 2010, was one of a select group of judges who presided over the so-called Fisa courts, set up under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which are intended to provide legal oversight and protect against unnecessary privacy intrusions.
Source
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:18 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I'd thought that the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court is a secret court.

Quote:
A former federal judge who granted government surveillance requests has broken ranks to criticise the system of secret courts as unfit for purpose in the wake of recent revelations by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.

James Robertson, who retired from the District of Columbia circuit in 2010, was one of a select group of judges who presided over the so-called Fisa courts, set up under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which are intended to provide legal oversight and protect against unnecessary privacy intrusions.
Source

And you are correct...which means????
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You recently had a revolution?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:27 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

You recently had a revolution?

It means you win. Germans cannot be duped...and there is no way a German government is ever going to overstep the bounds of the law.

You guys are lucky. We should get so lucky.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
..and there is no way a German government is ever going to overstep the bounds of the law.
Most governments here try it/have tried it now and then.
And later, they scream blue murder after the Federal Constitutional Court had called them to order ...
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 01:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
What I see from my vantage point is that both governments and businesses always break the laws. Banks continue to break the laws and are fined millions of dollars, but they continue to break the laws.

We all know of the simple fact that most governments have broken laws, and over-ridden the constitution at will. The citizens are helpless; most elected officials are reelected into office with not much change.

Complaints are useless. At least that's been my personal experience.

You can continue to believe that "your" government always lives under both domestic and international laws, but I find that to be naive.

Call me a skeptic.